[MH4U/MHX] ROM Hacking Guide

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by dasding, May 4, 2016.

1. Kibido

Kibido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    As I said, figure out the files related to the list of changes you want to make and hack away with a hex editor.

2. Astragon

Astragon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    Except the mod tools aren't opening up the romfs to even start looking for said files. Idk what is going on.

3. Kibido

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    As I told you: use the ExtractedRomFS folder created by Asia81’s hack tool to which is the same thing that dasding’s tool would give you.

4. Astragon

Astragon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    Okay so I tried to open the ExtractedRomFS.bin file using Karameru and it didn't work.

It said "none of the installed plugins are able to open the file"

Last edited by Astragon, Sep 8, 2018
  5. Kibido

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    It’s a folder, not a .bin file. ExtractedRomFS folder, created when you extracted the DecryptedRomFS.bin from the game with Asia81’s tool.
    Karameru is then used to extract the .arc files inside that folder.

6. Astragon

Astragon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    Okay so I used Karameru to directly open up the .3ds file and that worked.

So, does the order of weapons in the game files correspond to the order they are seen in say the weapon crafter?

7. Kibido

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    As with any game, of course not. Everything is pretty criptic, and it’s up to you to find the corresponding files to edit for the changes you want. Some files are pretty easy to identify, like sounds or monster textures/models, others aren’t.

8. Astragon

Astragon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    Okay I managed to extract the weapon data for w13 (which if the order in the files matches the order in the crafter that would be heavy bowgun), but when I open things in the hex editor program its an unintelligible string of code that I have no idea what to look for, nevermind edit.

9. Kibido

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    And there we go, exactly what I told you yesterday.

10. Astragon

Astragon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    I wish I could just pass said stuff off to someone who knew how to read it, but then all the bull of website rules gets in the mix here.......

11. Kibido

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    I don’t think GBATemp has anything against modding games, its full of rom hacks on this website.

12. Astragon

Astragon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    But they don't allow direct transfer of even pieces of game files I think. I just want to figure out what I'm looking at and edit some features of the weapons.

Hell if I could just figure out where the hunter arts are located to alter the charge times of a couple good ones that would be enough.

13. Astragon

Astragon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    Basically what I'm wondering - is there a tool that can both read the raw hexadecimal files AND translate them so non-programmers can even attempt modding their game, just like what APM's save editor did for MH4U? Because I have no idea what I'm even looking at to be honest here.

14. Kibido

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    Only textures and background music.

15. Astragon

Astragon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    Okay, is there any way to give different deviant monsters different themes, or give things that already have common themes unique ones?

16. Kibido

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    The deviant theme is only one file, so you change it for one, you change it for all. Some monsters (like Valstrax) have their own unique themes, others just use have the generic battle theme from the map they're in.

Last edited by Kibido, Sep 9, 2018
  17. Vangormel

Vangormel Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2018
    Estonia
    Having problems with certain edits NOT working when they are rebuilt into a .CIA patch, but ARE working when rebuilt into a .3DS/CIA ROM. I'm using HackingToolkit9DS to extract/rebuild, and mhmodtools to extract/repack arcfs/romfs.

I'm trying to translate MHXX but the only edits that haven't taken effect via a CIA update are tutorial popups and monster intro names, everything else works fine. They do take effect when copied over the original files and rebuilt into a .3DS/CIA ROM but that's not what I want to do. There are also curious side effects when doing that. Rebuilding into a 3DS doubles the filesize of the ROM (not with CIA though) and merging the 1.4.0 + English Patch v5 with the original files lowers the texture resolutions.

Monster intro names in CIA patch:
    imgur com/rclXnKl.png
    (Haven't yet managed to translate this into English but I got the text to disappear when I rebuilt my edits into a 3DS/CIA ROM)

Tutorial popups not translated in CIA patch:
    imgur com/tXN0ACs.png

Tutorial popups translated when edits are rebuilt into a 3DS/CIA ROM:
    imgur com/3J3nLs1.png

Any clues as to what's going on?

18. dasding
    OP

dasding GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2015
    Germany
    sorry i assume it's the tools fault and with that i cant help. i use commandline tools for my stuff, like ctrtool, 3dstool and makerom.

Code:
    all: extract

content.0000.*: original.cia
       bin/ctrtool --contents=content original.cia

romfs.bin: content.0000.*
       bin/3dstool -x -v -t cxi -f content.0000.* --romfs romfs.bin

exefs.bin: content.0000.*
       bin/3dstool -x -v -t cxi -f content.0000.* --exefs exefs.bin

ncchheader.bin: content.0000.*
       bin/3dstool -x -v -t cxi -f content.0000.* --header ncchheader.bin

exh.bin: content.0000.*
       bin/3dstool -x -v -t cxi -f content.0000.* --exh exh.bin

logo.bcma.lz: content.0000.*
       bin/3dstool -x -v -t cxi -f content.0000.* --logo logo.bcma.lz

plain.bin: content.0000.*
       bin/3dstool -x -v -t cxi -f content.0000.* --plain plain.bin

romfs: romfs.sentinel
       @test || true

romfs.sentinel: romfs.bin
       bin/3dstool -x -v -t romfs -f romfs.bin --romfs-dir romfs
       @touch romfs.sentinel || true

exefs: exefs.bin
       bin/3dstool -x -v -t exefs -f exefs.bin --exefs-dir exefs --header exefsheader.bin
       bin/3dstool -u -v -f exefs/code.bin --compress-type blz --compress-out exefs/code.bin

extract: romfs exefs

rebuild: romfs exefs ncchheader.bin exh.bin logo.bcma.lz plain.bin
       bin/3dstool -z -v -f exefs/code.bin --compress-type blz --compress-out exefs/code.bin
       bin/3dstool -c -v -t exefs -f exefs.bin --exefs-dir exefs --header exefsheader.bin
       bin/3dstool -c -v -t romfs -f romfs.bin --romfs-dir romfs
       test -e plain.bin && bin/3dstool -c -v -t cxi -f contents.0000.00000000 --header ncchheader.bin --exh exh.bin --logo logo.bcma.lz --plain plain.bin --exefs exefs.bin --romfs romfs.bin || true
       test -e plain.bin || bin/3dstool -c -v -t cxi -f contents.0000.00000000 --header ncchheader.bin --exh exh.bin --logo logo.bcma.lz --exefs exefs.bin --romfs romfs.bin
       bin/makerom -f cia -o rebuild.cia -content contents.0000.00000000:0:$(INDEX) -ver $(VERSION)

this is how i extract and repack with a Makefile

19. Kibido

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    Just a thought which might be very dumb: since rebuilding into a .3ds doubles the filesize but not with .cia, why don't you just rebuild a .cia and then convert it to .3ds with one of the many tools? Same effect?

20. mikewii7

mikewii7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2017
    Russia
    Sreky likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted