Gaming MH Rise - what am i doing wrong?

Litvinkov

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I've never played any monster hunter games before, and was excited to play this one after watching a review. But the first problem was, this game does not seem to be novice-friendly at all, it hits you with dozens of tutotials and expects you to memorize way too much. With a little patience though, i continue to the first quest tutorial, i start moving around and collecting stuff, i think it's all very nice, but then i start fighting some small monsters, and the battle system is just incredibly clunky, awkward and annoying. There's not a lot of combos, i hit way too slow, and worst of all, it's impossible to redirect yourself mid-combo, you're stuck facing the same direction you were at the start of an attack. Most of the time i just attack the air like a jackass, constantly trying to reorient myself to face the monsters, which of course keep moving all the time too. It seems like a miracle that i was able to finish my first simple quest to kill 20 small monsters. I fainted 4 times and was pissed off.

So, obviously i'm doing something wrong because this kind of performance is too bad even for someone who's new to the series. What kind of advice can you guys give me to improve?

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Plan your attack. You can't take this like God of War/Devil May Cry and mash buttons.

Get a real life big ass sword and throw it around. You'll be slow as well. Take the system as a rythm based thing. Press the buttons at their right time for maximum effect. Keep on trying and you'll get it.

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes the dozens of tutorial is a real problem. They are introduced to you when you don't need them yet. Then when you need that information, you forgot a long time ago.
The best way to enjoy the game is to know a friend who knows how most of it works so you can just ignore tutorials and ask questions when you need something. If you don't have that friend, well sorry, that's a real flaw of the game and it's going to be annoying for you.

About the clunky part and not a lot of combos, that's by design. Smash Bros is not Street Fighter, Monster Hunter might not be what you expected but it's not a mistake. You're stuck in a direction in a combo and there isn't many combos? Well that's coherent right? Why would you want more combos if they get you stuck in a direction? Hit, move, hit, move, get your finisher ready (if your weapon has one), only use it when you're sure (either because you read the fight like a book you've written or because the monster is currently down or because the monster is attacking someone else), hit again, move again.

You may also want to try other weapons. I've only played other games, not Rise, but still, I'm guessing there is still a huge difference between them all. Like, don't choose the great sword if you want mobility. Don't choose dual blades if you want the safety of a shield, etc.

And the third thing is that you may want to try multiplayer if you're playing solo right now. The game has always had a big focus on multiplayer, with contents only doable in multiplayer mode (and you could go there solo but that would be your problem and quests would still be scaled for 4 people). They started taking solo players into account a bit more with World (with difficulty scaling etc) but it doesn't change the fact that "multiplayer" is a pillar that shaped a lot of things in the series; the game lets you play solo but it doesn't mean it was designed for it.
I was talking about weapon finishers earlier, you're really supposed to land them when the monster attacks someone else (hence why you have palicos & co when solo). If you're solo, you get less openings, you need to be sure of your openings. It's more rewarding if you win, but it can be daunting for beginners.
And even if you only play multiplayer temporarily, at least you got to know monsters better before going back to solo.

Basic advice for everyone interested in getting in this game. Always carry 10 mega potions, 10 potions, 10 honey, and have a shortcut to craft mega potions.
Also if the monster deals poison damage, get antidote on you, this kind of stuff.
You can register item loadouts at the chest in town, this is an important feature.

ucupetuks

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I've never played any monster hunter games before, and was excited to play this one after watching a review. But the first problem was, this game does not seem to be novice-friendly at all, it hits you with dozens of tutotials and expects you to memorize way too much. With a little patience though, i continue to the first quest tutorial, i start moving around and collecting stuff, i think it's all very nice, but then i start fighting some small monsters, and the battle system is just incredibly clunky, awkward and annoying. There's not a lot of combos, i hit way too slow, and worst of all, it's impossible to redirect yourself mid-combo, you're stuck facing the same direction you were at the start of an attack. Most of the time i just attack the air like a jackass, constantly trying to reorient myself to face the monsters, which of course keep moving all the time too. It seems like a miracle that i was able to finish my first simple quest to kill 20 small monsters. I fainted 4 times and was pissed off.

So, obviously i'm doing something wrong because this kind of performance is too bad even for someone who's new to the series. What kind of advice can you guys give me to improve?
the best starter for new hunter is using dual blade, the weapon for agile and easy to control, mh series is like dmc there is a combo/button shift for each attack and, the game isnt clunky at all, the game meant to be realistic movement you cant change different movent in middle of combo like using great sword. this game need atleast 50hrs to understand and became addicted what the meaning of the game itself

rise is the easiest and most friendly in all mh series

Moffle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Try a different weapon.
The Dual Blades or Sword and Shield should probably be more your style if you hate being stuck in long animations. I suppose bow and the bowguns also might be good but they have a whole other can of worms to deal with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs