Metroid: Other M New Screens + Description!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems weird to find this new stuff on the official Nintendo website, they're usually the last place I look for new stuff.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/of7lc...TalCVd4mAutD4Yq

7ydABCaGXLYLWImTw00DmTHW0E9C1CEU.jpg
a6l8hLwZA4SdpvpKyx0nUe3aM7_HSGa2.jpg

gex2r3j8dh55W_K_3ibATtQhkOMNljNU.jpg
HTc2uG_rpxmHkEw6Hljmej9NLxkweo0z.jpg

qkRGXwo5u7eLUS34HOEDMNvklxFwFjE0.jpg
tYTys__90m7j_5ulYT6N0cHyZl_1za_C.jpg

Xeo7UxDqGS_tGq6IOttVk_MyHkBnbvw0.jpg
xf_1unD_UvANHBSy__YK2XYqqmj9lXct.jpg

XhpUQ0Iki8Xr3tnc97NnEl4WWSr1AmWB.jpg

QUOTE said:
For decades, Samus Aran has been known as one of the first female protagonists in video games, and one of the most enigmatic. Having traded her haunted past for the solitary life of a bounty hunter, Samus™ finally tells her own tale in this revealing, personal story of her failings, her flaws and ultimately her motivation. Metroid: Other M is an unprecedented collaboration that blends the slick, action-packed production of the world-renowned Team Ninja development team with the game design talents of the creators of the original Metroid. Metroid: Other M is a dramatic new direction for a legendary franchise and a bold new blend between cinematics, storytelling and the best in interactive entertainment.

* Metroid: Other M takes the best elements of 1st-person and 3rd-person gaming to create a seamless blend between gameplay, story-telling and dynamic cinematography, that feels like a movie the player can control.Players hold the Wii Remote controller sideways while navigating and battling in 3rd-person. However, at any moment, players can switch immediately to Wii Remote pointer controls to examine and explore the environments in 1st-person perspective.
* Metroid fans know more about Samus’ suits and weapons than they do about what drives her. That’s about to change. The story begins immediately following the events of Super Metroid, when a baby Metroid gave its life to protect Samus. With voice acting and a rich story, players learn the engaging backstory of Samus as she weaves through an action-packed adventure aboard the Bottle Ship, a decommissioned space facility. As she hurtles into this new adventure, Samus will encounter her first mentor and Commanding Officer of the Galactic Federation, Adam Malkovich.
* The development of Metroid: Other M is an exciting collaboration between Nintendo’s Yoshio Sakamoto and Team Ninja. Sakamoto was the director of Super Metroid in 1994. Team Ninja is the renowned action developer of Ninja Gaiden. Metroid: Other M pairs Sakamoto’s expert level design and exploratory focus of the classic Metroid series with Team Ninja’s signature stylish, no-holds-barred action.

Also the official website has been updated:
http://metroid.com/

Seems odd that the next "2D" style Metroid will be on the Wii. I know you can go 3D at times but it looks limited like in Super Paper Mario. Still...can't wait for this.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh thank Christ this has 2-D sections. I personally didn't like the first person view of Metroid Prime, and I'm glad they decided to do a lot of 2-D sections in here instead of it just being a minor part of the game.

Now I can say "I'm looking forward to this."

Oh yeah, very pretty.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think there is too much going on... Metroid was always fundamentally about isolation and exploration and the mystery of Samus`past is something, IMHO, should be very vague. I know: the series has to evolve are many thinking, when they reading something like this. But I say, who doesn`t want exploration or isolation shouldn`t play Metroid!

I`m really not a friend of deep story-telling in a Metroid game and I think MP3:C should be the maximum storytelling-wise. Zelda (TP in this case) I think is a better fit, for deep storytelling, because it fits the setting and mood of the game more, then it does in Metroid. That`s just my opinion but I welcome it, if I`m wrong with other M!

The gameplay however seems to be amazing judging by these screens. It is strange, that some pics show Samus fighting enemies in 2D horizontally but the room seems to continue vertically. Very interesting concept and I hope we`ll get to see a footage in a few hours
yaywii.gif

TyrianCubed

Gamer 1989 to present
Trophies
Website
www.gamescollection.it
XP
Country
Italy
I wish those screen were the real deal...sadly Nintendo made it clear that they're taken at a higher resolution than the game will actually be when it's finished
frown.gif

"screen captures are taken from a version of the game still in development and are provided at a higher resolution than what is available in game."

source Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5479442/new-metroid-othe...ne=true&s=i

o0ICE0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neat... I never played the Prime series, but this looks great.
Although, a few of those screens have a very Halo: ODST feel to them.
That may not end up being a bad thing.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Master Mo said:
I think there is too much going on... Metroid was always fundamentally about isolation and exploration and the mystery of Samus`past is something, IMHO, should be very vague. I know: the series has to evolve are many thinking, when they reading something like this. But I say, who doesn`t want exploration or isolation shouldn`t play Metroid!

I`m really not a friend of deep story-telling in a Metroid game and I think MP3:C should be the maximum storytelling-wise. Zelda (TP in this case) I think is a better fit, for deep storytelling, because it fits the setting and mood of the game more, then it does in Metroid. That`s just my opinion but I welcome it, if I`m wrong with other M!

The gameplay however seems to be amazing judging by these screens. It is strange, that some pics show Samus fighting enemies in 2D horizontally but the room seems to continue vertically. Very interesting concept and I hope we`ll get to see a footage in a few hours
yaywii.gif
How can you say there isn't any isolation? I will use this over used comment: Have you played the game? No. So don't go judging that yet. I understand that you may think she won't be alone and you wont get that feeling from the screenshots and possibly hands on but come on this is like the first 30 minutes. Corruption was the same way. You weren't alone for long in the beginning. Just give it more time.....

and for my comment....I jizzed. Nuff' said.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this will be cool I would love a new 2d metroid. best in the series was super metroid and the GB version. i hate metroid prime. i want a leaked copy of this, that would be cool. there hasn't been a leak in a long time.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Prime series is hated mostly by those who don't give it a chance and are blinded by 2D nostalgia. Many people think it's a first person shooter, and that's the only draw to it. It's of course, more of an adventure. But a lot of people can't get over the fact that they think every game in the series should play like Super Metroid. I'm not dissing Super Metroid (it's my favorite Metroid game), but i'm saying that you shouldn't diss prime in comparison to the oldies either. For the record, i've enjoyed Prime 1 a lot, from what little i've played of it. Not gotten too far in it yet, but it's worthy of a chance and very fun.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
dinofan01 said:
How can you say there isn't any isolation? I will use this over used comment: Have you played the game? No. So don't go judging that yet. I understand that you may think she won't be alone and you wont get that feeling from the screenshots and possibly hands on but come on this is like the first 30 minutes. Corruption was the same way. You weren't alone for long in the beginning. Just give it more time.....

and for my comment....I jizzed. Nuff' said.
I already thought, that there was a little too much story-telling in MP3:C and the little talk about Other M is often about its story and how it lets you explore Samus`past. Like I said: I welcome it, if Other M proves me wrong and what I said was obviously just an assumption based on the first trailer and these new sceens. Still I`m a little worried about these things, because I always thought, that they are a fundamental part of the Metroid-experience.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
granville said:
The Prime series is hated mostly by those who don't give it a chance and are blinded by 2D nostalgia. Many people think it's a first person shooter, and that's the only draw to it. It's of course, more of an adventure. But a lot of people can't get over the fact that they think every game in the series should play like Super Metroid. I'm not dissing Super Metroid (it's my favorite Metroid game), but i'm saying that you shouldn't diss prime in comparison to the oldies either. For the record, i've enjoyed Prime 1 a lot, from what little i've played of it. Not gotten too far in it yet, but it's worthy of a chance and very fun.
+1

I got the Trilogy and I am enjoying it a lot. But I also welcome Other M for my collection. Since Team Ninja is involved in this project, I'm actually hoping for increased difficulty like in Ninja Gaiden 2.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here is a little hands-on and there is also a video-interview with someone from Nintendo summarizing everything known about the game: Gamespot

Hopefully we`ll get to see footage of the Demo soon...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More screens:
http://www.metroid-database.com/index.php?...m&p=screens

Hands on from GoNintendo:
QUOTE said:
Nintendo knew that Metroid: Other M was their big gun for the media summit. They may have dedicated 8 demo booths to Super Mario Galaxy 2, but it was Metroid: Other M that got the special treatment. This game was behind closed doors, and available to those with appointments. If you didn't have an alloted time to play, you weren't getting in. It's very clear that Nintendo is still trying to shroud the game in mystery, but I'll do my best to reveal what popped up during my playtime.

Let's start off with the controls tutorial. You'll be holding the Wiimote in classic NES style for most of your play. You move around with the d-pad, press 1 to shoot and 2 to jump. Hit the A button to turn into a morph ball, and then it's 1 for bombs and 2 for jumping. If you take the Wiimote and point it at the screen, you go into a first-person mode. This allows you to better inspect and area, or even take out foes from a distance. It's completely up to you when you want to use that mode. You cannot move forwards or backwards while using it, but you can spin 360 degrees.

My favorite new move would have to be the quick dodge. Right before an enemy is about to hit you, you can tap a direction on the dpad to flip out of harm's way. Your timing has to be right on the money, so you can't just smash the dpad and wait for it to happen. This dodge move seems to add so much more to the game. It really makes the combat come alive and feel quite visceral. I couldn't stop thinking about how such a little addition made such a big difference, and made this type of gameplay feel brand-new.

I would liken most of the gameplay in Metroid: Other M to that of Super Metroid, and with a little bit of the changes that were made in Shadow Complex. There are major portions of the game that are side-scrolling, but there are also portions where you're running from the front of the screen to the back. Now, all of these screens also let you move in any direction as well. Think of it as a beat'em-up. You could walk left, right, up and down in those titles, and that's what you'll be doing here. There's also a vertical aspect to gameplay, so you'll be ascending/descending elevator shafts and other such locations.

Similar to Shadow Complex, Other M will throw enemies at you from all directions. If you're moving in a hallway that's mostly left to right, that doesn't mean that enemies won't come at your from just those directions. In Shadow Complex, I had some major issues getting the character to aim at the enemy I wanted to take down. In Other M, the system worked absolutely flawlessly. I didn't have to fight to position Samus in a way that she would shoot the enemy I was hoping to gun down. I would just move left or right, and Samus would also take down the enemy I was looking to stop. I can't tell you how much of a relief it was to see how well this worked.

As I said, the morph ball is back, but in my demo time I only saw a few areas that took advantage of it. I rolled through some secret areas to pick up energy tanks and the like, but didn't come across any puzzles to solve. Keep in mind that I played what amounted to a 40 minute demo, and a lot of that time was spent watching cut-scenes. I can't venture a guess as to whether the morph ball will play a bigger part in the full game or not.

As you can tell, Other M is deeply routed in old-school traditions of the Metroid series, but it tries to update them with new twists. One such example that impressed me was how Samus' different weapons and abilities came into play. Instead of having Samus lose all of her weapons, she seems to have all of them on her. The thing is, she's working with a 'military' team that's investigating a strange occurrence, and the commander of the team has to authorize the use of weapons. That means that Samus can only use what is allowed by the commander. He gets the authorization for weapons, and unlocks them for you as you go. They only become authorized when an appropriate threat is detected. It's definitely a unique way of staying true to the old series while having the motive make a bit more sense.

What's the best thing I can say about Metroid: Other M? I was really disappointed when my play time was up, because I really wanted to continue on. I had a 40 minute taste of the game, and it left me very hungry to continue my adventure. There's no denying that this is a very different take on the Metroid series, especially coming off of the Prime trilogy. It's old school and new ideas mixed together, and the outcome thus far seems like a bold step in an interesting direction. I cannot wait to get more time with this title, but that probably won't happen until launch.

Unfortunately, I do have a negative point that I have to rag about. Metroid: Other M is huge on story, and you get to see a lot more into the life of Samus and all that she's been through. I can't tell you how excited I am for this look into Samus' life. In Other M, you get tons of backstory through gorgeous cut-scenes...and horrible voice acting. Seriously, I can't stress how poor the voice acting was. I'd have to say that Samus had the best voice, but I thought the actresses' performance was abysmal. That tells you how poor the rest of the voice cast is. I really, REALLY hope that Nintendo forks out the cash for some better voice actors. I'll love hearing the story no matter what, but things would be so much better if the voice cast was more professional.

Man I hope he is wrong about the voice acting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: