mario galaxy - not very good??

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by nutta_nic, Nov 6, 2008.

Nov 6, 2008
  1. nutta_nic
    OP

Member nutta_nic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    when i first got my wii i went game buying crazy, igot a lot of good games i.e twilight princess, no more heroes, truma center etc [​IMG] , i also got some crap i.e sports island, wii fit and ea playground etc [​IMG] and i'm not sure what category to put maio galaxy in, i know everybody loves it but i just couldn't get into it.
    should i try again a give it another run? does anyone agree with me? or am i on my jack on this one? [​IMG]

2. Helix94

Newcomer Helix94 Advanced Member

United States
    I agree. I think the levels were designed well, and it was a good concept, but it was just too easy and repetitive. I reached the end and got bored. Haven't played it since.

3. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    IMO, it's a great game. I haven't finished it yet, but so far I've liked it better then Sunshine.

edit - in regards to the not playing it again comment above, the zelda games totally kick a, but I haven't ever played those again after beating them either. Doesn't mean it's not a good game. Some games are meant to be played and beaten, others are meant to be replayed a lot.

4. nutta_nic
    OP

United Kingdom
    well said, i didnt make it to the end though, not even 3 or 4 levels

5. The Teej

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    Honestly? It's the first console Mario Game I've gone from start to finish on since SMB 3. I kinda got bored of Mario 64, but never got bored of Mario Galaxy.

Don't force yourself to play it though.

6. nutta_nic
    OP

United Kingdom
    i never had a gamecube so havnt played mario since mario 64, i liked that alot, but i agree smb3 is the best mario game if not platformer ever

7. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Just keep going. How far did you get into it the first time you satrted playing?

8. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Just keep going, It's one of the beat games for the wii. It's like the setup of a book. the first 10, maybe even 20 pages are boring setup, and many people stop there, but if you get into it, it's great.

9. Twiggy12

Member Twiggy12 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    its good ocne you beat the first galaxy but then it gets more repeditive while also adding new things like power mushrooms a those slingy things, so the more you play the better but after i bet it i havent played it since, (apart from that bullshit video i made which already has 173 views [​IMG]

10. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    To put it in the word of Zero Punctuation, "The only really fun parts of Super Mario Sunshine were the ones where you got your squirt gun taken away and you had to jump around on a bunch of Multi-colored blocks hovering in a giant void. Nintendo's thought police trucks must of been driving by, because that's all Super Mario Galaxy is. If you liked that, you'll enjoy Mario Galaxy."

11. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I think SMG is a great game, but only to be played through once and isnt much for replayability.

12. cepheus

Member cepheus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    good but overrated.

...like many other big name games.

13. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Not overrated at all. Unlike many games that get a lot of hype 'cough Halo 3 cough' Mario Galaxy actually broke the mould and became better than its predecessor. Please not that this is my opinion.

14. nutta_nic
    OP

United Kingdom
    its been that long since i played it i cant remember how far i got, but i think i will give it another shot right after i finish with fifa09 i'm hitting that pretty hardcore at the mo

15. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    tis good but repetitive and its so predictable if you are a mario fan,

i only hate the spring mushroom but all othe power ups were good, like ghost mario

16. RickBruiser

Newcomer RickBruiser Advanced Member

Canada
    I loved it and I'm very picky on games.

17. Xta Large

Member Xta Large GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I could understand not liking the game if you're not into the formula, but to call it 'not very good'? No. Not when it still has the best music/visuals on the Wii, some of the most clever level design to grace the series (I would have liked a few more gravity based puzzles, but oh well), and tight controls that actually make good use of the system.

18. Galacta

Member Galacta >:)

Australia
    It was overrated.

It is so boring after a while and boss battles arent that coool. Especially the Bowser fights.

19. Xta Large

Member Xta Large GBAtemp Regular

United States
    When have boss fights ever been 'cool' in a Mario game? Lemme tell ya, I enjoyed fighting Bowser in this game more than I did in Sunshine or 64. And yeah, some of the later Galaxies don't impress as much as the early ones, but there's always a level or two in those Galaxies that make them worth playing.

20. Barta

Member Barta GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I really love the game!
    Have finished it with Mario and are now playing with Luigi. Playing with Luigi is much harder!

Some of the levels are great and if they make a whole game around one level concept (Mario in bubble levels)
    that game will be better than 90% of the other crap that is released.