Making my own Wii Sensor Bar

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by KamikazeEsp, May 8, 2017.

1. KamikazeEsp
    OP

KamikazeEsp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2016
    Hi there!
    Some weeks ago I started playing Wii games on my laptop, but not having a sensor bar is annoying for some games... I know I can make kind of a sensor bar with just two candles, but it's not as worth as connecting some IR leds to an USB port, but I don't know if just connecting a couple of them it's okay or if I would need some resistors for not overloading my USB port. Any experts here? :lol:
    Any help would be very helpful and welcomed.

(Maybe there are some English-writing mistakes, sorry 4 that :P)

2. souler92

souler92 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2017
    Netherlands
  3. KamikazeEsp
    OP

KamikazeEsp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2016
    I saw that post, but what I didn't know is if that was safe not putting resistors in the circuit. Thanks anyway ^^

4. souler92

souler92 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2017
    Netherlands
    i think for 1 led you have to , but if you pair some leds you dont i think....

5. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Two candles will do the trick as well.

6. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    If you carefully plan the LEDs to fit on a 5V supply, you may not need a resistor.
    But it is always a good practice to use limiting resistor so that if one LED blown, it won't take the rest of the LEDs and possibly the USB port with it. How much is a resistor anyway?
    For safety sake, I would also refrain from using the Wii's usb port directly, use a battery or separate power supply with a switch or being controlled by the Wii's usb port/power.

7. souler92

souler92 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2017
    Netherlands
    or get an sensor bar, cut the original connecter and hook up the usb ? i mean a sensor bar is like 5 bucks maybe less.