linux?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by tal32123, Jul 11, 2009.

Jul 11, 2009

linux? by tal32123 at 7:37 PM (2,503 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. tal32123
    OP

Member tal32123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    can someone post the pros and cons of linux and a picture of a linux desktop? i want to see if it would be good on my computer. also is it easy to use, and how is the ui?

2. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

Pros: free, easy to use, customizable, programs are easily installed and updated automatically, easy to dual boot with a windows system (extra effort needed for Macs, but not too much), really easy to use for basic usage
    Cons: windows software is not supported (like games) but many windows applications can be run with WINE; when it comes to linux, there's sort of a pit in the learning curve between those who are novice users who just just an OS's built in functionality, and those who highly enjoy customizing every aspect of their OS - if you fit in between those two as a user who highly enjoys customization but isn't that adept with computers (example: a novice user trying to get windows games to work), you can mess up and have to reinstall the OS because you yourself won't know how to fix what you did.

Overall, if you don't rely on specific programs, Linux is a fantastic OS and very much worth it.

Ubuntu with Gimp (a powerful image editor) open
    [​IMG]
    Ubuntu comes with some of the sickest transitions (this is transitioning from one workplace to another, think of workplaces as extra desktops)
    [​IMG]

I personally recommend linux mint, which is Ubuntu with extra drivers and codecs and stuff which Ubuntu doesn't include because they aren't open source

3. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There many topics on this subject.

Using Suse 11.1

Linux is far superior to windows , just that you cant play games on it but some are supported through wine.

The best thing about it that you dont have to worry about damn malware virus crap anymore [​IMG] .

Once you installed all the codecs and the programs you want to use , it keeps on going [​IMG] .

4. nitrostemp

Member nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Linux can be quite complex if you have no experience using commands in console
    and if you want to compile from source make sure you have all the repositorys

5. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    download ubuntu, its the easiest linux.

pros: easier, faster, cheaper, better.

cons: you can't use your specific windows software, but most have alternatives that are as good.

you very rarely need to use the console unless you are doing something obscure, and the same goes for compiling from source. even if a program isn't in repos you can generally just download a .deb file.

6. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  7. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Nice, i guess i will switch from ubuntu to linux mint. I like wine program for linux... quite helpful sometimes.

8. MicShadow

Member MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Mint is a great distro

Pros: Everything
    Cons: Not able to run complex windows apps

9. tal32123
    OP

Member tal32123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    so there is no way for me to play windows games?

10. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
  11. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    some will work under wine... most will not however...

directX is the greatest downfall, its a godaweful pile of horse manure on windows, let alone to emulate.

12. Findecanno

Member Findecanno GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Some games can be rune through WINE which is a program that allows Linux to run windows programs. not all programs are compatible though. Also watch out for graphics card compatibility. I have an older ATI card and I cant get ubuntu drivers for it that work right which limits my gaming. my computers set up so that when it starts up I can choose between windows and linux based on what im doing.

I also recomend linux mint for new users of linux. It was my first distro and it was easy enough to learn.

13. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada

Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Got it?

But yeah, Linux is great and easy (unless your a total n00b who goes "MY TASK BAR HAS MOVED!!! NEW COLORS!!!! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! GIVE ME WINDOWS!!!"). Unless you play a lot of games, then maybe it's not so great...

14. asdf

Member asdf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Try using wubi. It'll install Linux on your computer while still keeping Windows on it and if you don't like it, just uninstall it.

15. IchigoK2031

Member IchigoK2031 Wannabe Shirow Miwa...

United States
    I basically installed Unbuntu inside my windows so I didn't have to partition my drive at all, but mainly I use linux if I have some work I need to do and don't want to get distracted by all of the many programs I have on my windows 7 setup.

16. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    I hate Ubuntu. Too noobish for my liking.
    Arch Linux all the way.

And there is no GUI of Linux. You can pick your own GUI out of many choices, like GNOME, KDE, FVWM, Openbox, Musca, Fluxbox, LXDE, and many others.

There is no one distribution of Linux like how there is in Windows. Anyone can make a Linux distribution.

17. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    While linux isn't as good as everyone here makes it out to be, if you're an average user then Linux is a very good Windows alternative.

I used it on my simple desktop, and I would use it now except I need the Adobe creative suite to work, and a certain proprietary 3D modeling program, and Ubuntu also refuses to recognize my RAID setup.

I would use it on my netbook but the latest ubuntu (and subsequently eeebuntu) have Intel driver video issues and I've yet to seen anything close to coreavc on linux. Also the ACPI sucks and I get an hour less of battery unless I use LXDE (in that case I get 30 minutes less of battery)

18. piratesmack

Member piratesmack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Shit!

19. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Aw, yeah. Happened to me a lot of times. Because of this I never remove anything [​IMG]

BTW, happened to me a lot of times on Debian too.

20. piratesmack

Member piratesmack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah, this is one of the reasons I use Slackware.
    It's package manager doesn't try to autoresolve dependencies for you.
    The system administrator is responsible for that.