LEGO Harry Potter laggy?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by R2DJ, Jul 12, 2010.

Jul 12, 2010

LEGO Harry Potter laggy? by R2DJ at 1:48 PM (1,835 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I have an AK2i with AKAIO 1.7 and the latest loaders. I played LEGO Harry Potter and it appears that the game suffers from poor framerate for me. I tried everything (using a trimmed and untrimmed ROM, playing around with the patches - DS Download, Soft-reset, etc., using different DMA modes) and it's still happening. Though the game felt the smoothest when I disabled DMA mode completely, but it's still quite laggy. Anyone else suffering from this? Or is it just a bad ROM? Also, I set the save type to 4K in accordance to Advanscene. Am I using the right save type?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I've noticed that the game kinda stutters a lot while while walking around the maps on a CycloDS. It's not extreme, but you notice it. I think the game is just like that. It wasn't optimized very well before being pushed out on the shelves.

3. R2DJ
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ahhh...so it's the game then. Well thanks for confirming it. Loving the game. Know someone who bought the retail cart so I'm gonna ask him [​IMG]

4. Fluffbutt

Fluffbutt Newbie

Works fine on my SC2, no lag at all.

5. FlashX007

Newcomer FlashX007 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Nah, it lags on that too. Not that much though. I guess it is my fault but when I try to use cheats I notice the music gets laggy.

Besides that I am enjoying it alot. SC2 FTW.

6. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Smooth as silk on my Acekard with AKaio 1.7.

Lagging problems in this game has more to do with the SD card than the flashcart. This type of game is going to be constantly accessing the SD for textures and data as you walk around. Many SD cards are not designed to do this. They were never designed as solid state drives they were meant for storing and playing back sequential data from a camera or video device. The random access load some newer games are demanding is really starting to show badly on many SD cards.

You will also notice the larger SD cards have a slower random access time. This is because many larger SD cards are built using MLC (multi layer cell tech), the older cards used SLC (single layer cell tech). SLC is a lot faster at random access than MLC. Ideally an MLC card should never be used as an I/O device. MLC cards are good where high throughput of sequential data is required, for example, viewing a movie or for use in a camera. SLC is more expensive to make but has the advantage of much better random access performance, has 10x the lifecycle of MLC and uses a lot less power which should extend battery life. You can buy larger SLC SD cards but they can be hard to find depending on where you live.

Test: If you have an older 1gb or 2gb SD lying around then place a copy of the firmware and game on that and see if there are any improvements.

Edit: I can't wait for Black and White. The web is going to be littered with the same sort of complaint.

Edit2: MODS, could you please move this topic to the correct forum?

7. R2DJ
    OP

United Kingdom
    May I ask what SD card you have?

8. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    lego HP worked silky smooth for me using the akaio 1.7.1 (july 15 update, i think) firmware/loader on ak2i. (i'm using the bundled 2gb SD card, in any case you were wondering)

9. Mantis41

United States
    Samsung Plus 8GB

10. R2DJ
    OP

United Kingdom
    I just got a Sandisk 4GB Class 4 and the game is much more smoother now.

Don't you at least get a bit of lag on the Common Room? For me, the laggiest levels are now really smooth, except for the Common Room, which is a tiny bit of laggy.

11. Mantis41

United States
    No, all smooth. I have a DSL. Don't know if that makes a diff.