Homebrew Last Ditch Effort for Help...

elunesgrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok guys, you're probably my last resort at getting help for this. Hopefully it isn't too offtopic.

I love playing with emulation as opposed to on my DS because of all the extra things I can do, and ability to play with an xbox360 controller.

Now I've been playing Megaman Star force 3 Black Ace on Desmume 0.9.8. The problem is, it never saved normally, I had to rely on save states. Every time I would save, it would just keep saving and go nowhere.

I'm at the final boss, and the problem is it won't let me go into the final area without saving. It kind of sucks.

I've tried to port it to No$GBA, but I can't move save states.

I found that the game works in Desmume 0.9.6 and will save, but won't transfer the save states from 0.9.8.

Can you guys think of any solution?

Thanks a ton guys!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
0.9.9 has been released for a week or so at this point. That said if it saves in an older version and 0.9.8 has been out for that long then it points to a configuration error of some form (its autodetect might now have got the right save and you might have to manually select it).

Unfortunately the only standalone tool I know of it for VBA to NO$GBA and that is probably of little use at this point. That said both have fairly extensive options with regards to compression and what have you.

The saving part is usually so you can continue the game after the credits sequence, actually I am half surprised they coded a check in (normally you would have expected at least one save). If we do have to hack something then probably best to find the check and hope it is simple, once you find the check it is likely a very basic assembly hack (one you can probably even do in a cheat) to sort it.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

elunesgrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
0.9.9 has been released for a week or so at this point. That said if it saves in an older version and 0.9.8 has been out for that long then it points to a configuration error of some form (its autodetect might now have got the right save and you might have to manually select it).

Unfortunately the only standalone tool I know of it for VBA to NO$GBA and that is probably of little use at this point. That said both have fairly extensive options with regards to compression and what have you.

The saving part is usually so you can continue the game after the credits sequence, actually I am half surprised they coded a check in (normally you would have expected at least one save). If we do have to hack something then probably best to find the check and hope it is simple, once you find the check it is likely a very basic assembly hack (one you can probably even do in a cheat) to sort it.

Awesome a reply!

I switched everything from 0.9.8 to 0.9.9 without a hitch, but it won't save there either (except in save states).

I'd love to manually select, but how can I do that in desmume? I went to auto detect save type = > from database, but same thing as internal doesn't save! If you can show me this manual way ill try it!

What tool is this you speak of, would it help me?

I can try to hack it, I noticed the save seems to be looping (i notice the screen flicker every few seconds when it is trying to save). The check is really stupid, because it asks me if I want to save, if i say no it turns me away from the exist but if i say yes it loops the saving. Why would they add that at the end? Ugh.

Thanks so much for your reply, you're saving me like 30 or more hours of gameplay =S.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I should have said something there -- it comes with the main download. Most people will probably use DeSmuME_0.9.9_x86.exe where in the same directory is another exe called DeSmuME_0.9.9_dev.exe. For the most part they are pretty similar (certainly you could view memory, graphics and whatever else like other debugging emulators) but this seems to be one of the main differences.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

elunesgrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry I should have said something there -- it comes with the main download. Most people will probably use DeSmuME_0.9.9_x86.exe where in the same directory is another exe called DeSmuME_0.9.9_dev.exe. For the most part they are pretty similar (certainly you could view memory, graphics and whatever else like other debugging emulators) but this seems to be one of the main differences.

You. Are. The. Best.

It worked! I went to the options (first it wouldn't work on any of the settings). Then I payed attention to the DOS screen in the back. It kept switching between the 512 save and a 2 MBit save. So I decided to select the Flash 2Mbit and selected 'force current' (not sure what that does).

But it went through the save!

I want to donate to this website for the help you gave, is there a way to do that?

Also, where can I submit this bug and solution to desmume? Shall I just go to their forums or is there an email you would suggest? I can just hunt around but if you know already that would be nice =).

Reactions: Superfrick

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do not think GBAtemp is presently accepting donations -- feel free to give some to desmume ( http://sourceforge.net/project/project_donations.php?group_id=164579 ) or whatever charity you wish to donate to.

As for getting in contact with them they have a bugtracker ( http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=164579&atid=832291 ) and a forum ( http://forums.desmume.org/viewforum.php?id=6 ).
Several of the developers frequent GBAtemp and the IRC channel too but these might not be the best places to sort things and I doubt they will stumble upon this thread any time soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @Psionic Roshambo i didn't go amd for one specific reason, the AI performance is way behind nvidia
    +1
    i just got a 4070ti
    oh yeah also DLSS is a pretty solid reason to go nvidia since fidelityfx is kinda crap
    and now with the rtx video upscaling, and sdr->hdr conversion, even more reason to go nvidia
    both of which work well in potplayer
    amd is a bit cheaper though
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Cheaper and they are less stingy with the RAM not a big issue now but I can imagine in a yard or two things might be different
    Year not yard lol
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more