Kingdom Hearts 358/2

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by maxxpower18, Apr 16, 2010.

Apr 16, 2010

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 by maxxpower18 at 8:32 PM (1,559 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. maxxpower18
    OP

Newcomer maxxpower18 Member

United States
    Ok so I'm about halfway through the game, and I gotta admit playing this game feels more like a chore. So my question is, does this game actually get better? Does the story get better?
    Honestly, the story is extremely dull up to this point.

2. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    I liked it...

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It's a very repetitive game. Missions seem to be the same objective time and time again, and the lack of map variety doesn't help. It's pretty much a Kingdom Hearts fans-only game. If you don't like KH, you'll find the game pretty lackluster in story and gameplay, like me.

4. kirokun

Member kirokun GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The game and it's world are too limited...

Nomura could have done much more if he didn't made limits to this game.

5. CyrusBlue

Member CyrusBlue GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I like the game alot and it does get repetitive. It's not a game for everyone. I think the game gets better towards the end because that's when things start picking up.

The beginning to middle is

ROXAS DO THIS.
    ROXAS DO THAT.
    HEY ROXAS! WE GOT ICE CREAM!

6. maxxpower18
    OP

Newcomer maxxpower18 Member

United States
    I have played the other kingdom hearts games (except for the psp one), and to be honest, I kinda liked chain of memories more than this one, mainly because there was more action. But it seems like the story gets a little better towards the end so I'll keep playing.

7. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    it's mainly about ice cream.

8. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    It's a really slow game, definitely the weakest one in the series. It feels like the pacing would be better if you only do the compulsory missions, makes me wonder if the other missions were just shoved in at the last minute to drag it out.

9. CyrusBlue

Member CyrusBlue GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The extra missions were put in for the mission mode and multiplayer which would have been alot better if it was a wifi game.

10. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    Exactly how much more could have been done?
    The game takes up 255MB of the 256MB cart limit.

11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Size doesn't matter. Content does. He could've made the missions more diverse and the plot actually interesting. But he didn't. I've seen fabulous games that are 8MB large and shitty ones that are 256MB.

12. 5%

Member 5% GBAtemp Fan

Hahaha the sole purpose of this game is to advertise Sea Salt Ice Cream [​IMG]. I found myself looking up Sea Salt Ice Cream recipes & videos due to this game [​IMG]

13. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    The thing that took up all the space were the full motion videos, and there's like around 40-50 minutes of high quality, fully voiced video clips. They could have actually taken those out and saved a tonload of space. I feel the ingame engine is perfectly capable of rendering the story. And i've seen games with better facial animation, so they could have gone the FF4-route and animated the lips and expressions of the ingame models and put voices with those. Would have looked great too. Might have cut the cartridge size in half too...

I enjoyed Days a lot. I'm not a fanboy with no reason, i just genuinely enjoyed the gameplay and even the story. It does indeed chug along and there are definitely some things i would have done better had i been in charge of development. Wish they had added wifi as well, which would have really enhanced it for me, as i don't have any friends with DSes near me. Production values are really great, i can tell they tried hard to genuinely replicate the PS2 experience on DS. I feel they succeeded in their goal too.

Overall, the game is fun. Not perfect, but worth a play. It improves if you've played the other games first though, as i feel it's a lot of fan service. Here are my main complaints-

- "daily life" story sequences drag on a bit too much sometimes, doesn't need to go but could have been done better
    - need to play the rest of the series to understand the full plot
    - needed more worlds to visit, and i felt some worlds could be completely cut to put in better ones. They admit to removing a new Pinocchio world, and i feel Hollow Bastion would have been interesting.
    - the final boss was way too easy, i had far more trouble with normal heartless bosses
    - no wifi
    - i would have been interested in having a tournament battle with all the playable characters against friends in mission mode, ala Smash Bros

But it's definitely not the worst in the series. The gameplay mechanics are actually superior to KH1, and it's not as easy and mindless as KH2. Chain of Memories was unique but the worlds were just useless filler and repetition from KH1. And then there's the new Coded game, which is apparently horrible. Days has ups and downs. For me, it's a solid 8/10 game. Could have been better, but it's fun. And it did get better as i played, so try to play further, maybe into the hundred digit days.

14. Gunmaster51

Newcomer Gunmaster51 Advanced Member

Canada
    Yeah I liked the game at the start but it started feeling like a chore in the middle. I couldn't finish it.

15. Flamestar666

Newcomer Flamestar666 Member

United States
    It's all about the ice cream.

Roxas is a winner you know.

16. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I liked the FMV so I think it's worth keeping some of it in the game, but I agree that many of the clips could've been removed; after you've see one rendered video of the clock tower you've seen them all. I remember thinking the game was dragging until the last few hours, when I instantly forgave everything that'd come before. I think the people who walk away from the game with a good review score of it are remembering how they felt after the ending rather than the crawling it took to get there. I remember coming away thinking "why couldn't the whole game have been like that" and to be perfectly honest there's no good reason why it couldn't, there's plenty of space between the missions to put in a real story. Earlier in the game the plot events don't connect together at all, it felt like a random series of events rather than a plot and they could've been placed in any order without making a difference.

17. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I only proposed the removal of the FMV's to add more actual gameplay. Maybe even have voiced dialog ingame, which i felt this game lacked. KH has some good voice acting too.

I feel also that some of the worlds could be removed or consolidated in order to make way for more original idea. There was going to be a Pinocchio world, and it would have fit with some elements which i won't spoil. They even found some unused data from the scrapped world inside the rom. It was to be one of the only original worlds too, besides Neverland (yes, i know neverland was in KH1, but just the ship. Here it's the island itself). I also felt it would be neat to have some stealth and infiltration missions in Hollow Bastion since we know the organization likes to cause trouble there. Would be a fun world, perhaps having you take part in building the Cavern of Rememberance and the data rooms. That would be one kind of mission that you always wear the hood, to protect your identity. Maybe even fight some of the Final Fantasy characters. Too bad Nomura apparently hates putting his characters on Nintendo systems or some weird shit... >_>