Hardware ' Key does not work on my HP laptop

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming it is not a keyboard input issue and the key is set to the wrong one (or indeed none) then you can pop the key and make sure a rock did not get under there which is preventing it (you would usually feel it but you might not) and possibly clean it.

That said when keys start going on laptops I usually find it time to replace the whole keyboard, or work around it (learn the shortcuts if it is just a bit of punctuation, or plug in a USB keyboard/bluetooth keyboard/whatever). Sometimes you can clean them or reseat the whole keyboard but cleaning rarely does much and reseating probably won't do too much here -- if it is going to be the sort of thing it fixes then more than 1 key will usually not be working.

Stealphie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Assuming it is not a keyboard input issue and the key is set to the wrong one (or indeed none) then you can pop the key and make sure a rock did not get under there which is preventing it (you would usually feel it but you might not) and possibly clean it.

That said when keys start going on laptops I usually find it time to replace the whole keyboard, or work around it (learn the shortcuts if it is just a bit of punctuation, or plug in a USB keyboard/bluetooth keyboard/whatever). Sometimes you can clean them or reseat the whole keyboard but cleaning rarely does much and reseating probably won't do too much here -- if it is going to be the sort of thing it fixes then more than 1 key will usually not be working.
How can I map the key to '? Also it's not dirty, I just checked

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
What model laptop?

Take a pic showing the mechanism of the key.

Chances are it's just a hardware issue if it's not dirty/mechanism isn't damaged. At that point, all you can do is just replace the keyboard. On older laptops this used to be fairly easy, but newer ones you'll likely need to do some work to get the keyboard removed and replaced.

Reactions: Stealphie

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Forest for the trees moment. I assume this is not a num lock go put on?

Remapping wise it is more the keyboard settings might not be the ones it wants -- in my case I usually see it for US keyboards vs UK keyboards (£ on the keyboard and @ above the right shift, with £ being a rather useful thing to have on UK keyboards as it is the currency symbol).
Afraid I don't know what goes around you but it is not unheard of for things to output data it has no idea what to do with if it is the wrong setting.

You don't map things generally. You can do various things (silly example) with some of the things people use to do macros. Here you can have something run to note you are pressing some other combo or button and have it sub in something else but that is not a great fix and runs the risk of training you to do something else which can be tricky when you get a new keyboard.

If you have disassembled the laptop recently or dropped the thing then the cable might have come loose but I doubt it (and again usually a block of keys will stop here). If you know what you are doing then you can try reseating it; it is usually not difficult, usually either some screws or some plastic trim to remove to get at it but can vary dramatically, and modern consumer stuff can be even more annoying should you have to replace it.

Anyway dirt can be a fun one, and keys stopping working can also be the result of someone spilling things on the keyboard (though again it is usually selections of keys not working any more, them firing randomly, or them repeating lots).
If it is not a rock stopping it from being pressed and a token squirt with some electronics safe (not automotive) contact cleaner does not do it then yeah dead key, time to replace the keyboard or live with a workaround. It is one of the major downsides of laptops.

Reactions: Stealphie

Stealphie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What model laptop?

Take a pic showing the mechanism of the key.

Chances are it's just a hardware issue if it's not dirty/mechanism isn't damaged. At that point, all you can do is just replace the keyboard. On older laptops this used to be fairly easy, but newer ones you'll likely need to do some work to get the keyboard removed and replaced.
I will take the pics tomorrow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)