just trying to learn more

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by mike a, Mar 7, 2017.

1. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    ok,

got soundhax, can play emulators blah blah, about to install cfw soon. but im kinda curious about something. I found this tutorial http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-how-to-install-legit-cias-on-11-2-without-cfw.460983/#post-7148655 and also I found a link, which I aint gonna paste on here,, that I can get .3ds eshop games also. so,, is there REALLY that much of a need to get cfw??

would I be able to play the eshop games w/ the homebrew launcher? what if I used that tutorial up there,, and ya know...

2. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Yes, with CFW you can use FreeShop to get any game easily, and use https://3ds.guide/ to install CFW and you're done!

3. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    I know the guide lol,, I have read that guide like at least 20 times,, so I KNOW EVERY lil bit, or at least what I am doing,, and why I am doing it.,, what it does. (except the stupid stuff like reboot and hold a etc. like im going to remember all that lol),, I have already downloaded all the files I need for the tutorial also, but you know what im saying though lol that tutorial at the top,, basically I can find 3ds usa .3dsx files, and play them NOW w/out installing cfw, and I can play emulators,, and apparently it looks like I can just get the usa eshop games, w/out needing freeshop lol.

4. jupitteer

jupitteer GBAtemp Lurker

Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Inkopolis
    You need a 3ds flashcart to play 3ds roms, and they cost >$80. You cannot play 3ds roms without a flashcart or cfw. Get cfw.

5. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    damn it lol, I figured as much, by other things I have read,, but that tutorial up there made it seem like I didn't need cfw.. oh well. and a flashcart that makes the 3ds think it's a game would be cool, but yeah,, they are breaking the bank I don't have lol. well could I play the eshop .3dsx games though?? I just wanna try sonic in 3d lol, and

yes I have plans to go to the local coffee shop, by a coffee, plug in, connect w/ their free wifi, and install cfw on my 3ds.

Last edited by mike a, Mar 7, 2017
  6. jupitteer

jupitteer GBAtemp Lurker

Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Inkopolis
    No. 3dsx files are not 3ds games. They are strictly homebrew. Get cfw at 3ds.guide. It costs nothing, and it WILL allow you to play eshop games, cartridge games, etc.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also the 3ds can't connect to wifi networks that require sign in, such as coffee shops.

7. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    here's the cool part, this coffee shop lol doesn't have a sign in wifi!!!!, I just go up and connect to the guest wifi all the time,, there is no sign in, or password at all ;)

8. jupitteer

jupitteer GBAtemp Lurker

Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Inkopolis
    Nice, have fun. Be careful.