Homebrew Jpeg viewer?

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate Jpegs, but converting them all would take forever... Is there a better program (aka not Moonshell 2) that can load Jpegs as efficiently as Moonshell handles all other image formats?

EDIT: While I'm here... Do any iPlayer owners have any trouble with these things?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You mention converting them... what would you convert them to (and for what app, if I may ask? Or does Moonshell have an issue with JPEGs?)

As for taking 'forever', I'm sure you could find a program that converts a batch of JPEGs to whatever format you'd like.

Warrior522

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
You mention converting them... what would you convert them to (and for what app, if I may ask? Or does Moonshell have an issue with JPEGs?)

PNG, JPG, hell, I'd even take GIF if it meant I didn't have to wait for 10 minutes to read a manga chapter...

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Warrior522 said:
jurassicplayer said:
Yeah, if it's manga just use ComicBookDS. It's pretty much perfect for that and converting isn't too bad.

Lemme guess, windows proprietary?
PictoDS is what is used to convert the files, and it runs on Windows/Linux/Mac.
Download here: http://cbds.free.fr/Softwares/PictoDS/?language=en#download

CBDS (Comic Book DS) is here: http://cbds.free.fr/Softwares/ComicBookDS/...age=en#download

It's a rather nice (and if I recall, quick) app, however the conversion process is a bit of a pain. But once you get it set up right, it's simple.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Dead basic process...you could choose where the output goes and some other minor stuff, but for the most part:
You open a program, you drag a folder with images in it and drop it onto the window, you click the button, and you wait.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Warrior522 said:
Define "a bit of a pain."
Getting the right settings for what you want to read.
Black and white Manga is going to have different quality settings than a color monthly comic, same as that will have a different setting from a newspaper comic (I read Calvin and Hobbes on CBDS).

I tried reading monthly comics on CBDS, and didn't really like it. I felt I had to scan across the whole page first, then read the text to fully get what I was reading. Manga I think would be different as the layouts tend to be smaller.

Again, the hardest part was finding the settings that I liked for the comics, you may be less picky. Also, one of the constraints I was dealing with was size, I only had a 1GB MicroSD and it was nearly full with games BEFORE I got into CBDS.
After I found what I was happy with I set the batch encoder to go overnight and converted a few years worth of comics flawlessly while I slept.

Cryoburner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're going to be batch converting the images anyway, I'd recommend sticking with Moonshell 2. I find it works great for manga, so long as the images are not in progressive Jpeg format. Moonshell loads many progressive Jpegs rather slowly, likely because it has to keep redrawing the image to the slow memory prior to displaying anything. A fair amount of manga found online tends to be in progressive Jpeg format, despite it not holding any real advantages over standard Jpeg. You can also scale down the image dimensions, since they are often in higher resolution than is ideal for viewing on the DS's screen. One other recommendation would be to pick up a memory expansion if you have a DS or DS Lite, as it can improve Moonshell's performance by a good margin. Also, I'd recommend using Moonshell 2.10 or higher, as some recent versions prior to that tend to freeze when loading progressive Jpegs. Here's a comparison of load times for some random pages of manga on a DS Lite with an Acekard 2 and a 4GB Toshiba Japan MicroSD, both with and without an EZFlash 3 in 1 memory expansion installed...

The first time listed is how long it takes to start drawing the image to the screen, while the second is the time until the image is fully loaded, both rounded to the nearest second. In the case of Manga, the first panels are typically viewable within a couple seconds of the image first appearing on-screen, so you don't have to wait until the image is fully loaded to begin viewing it.

421 KB, 1200 x 1687, jpeg:
+ mem: 0s, 7s
- mem: 2s, 11s

412 KB, 1210 x 1683, jpeg:
+ mem: 0s, 10s
- mem: 2s, 14s

103 KB, 1360 x 960, jpeg
+ mem: 0s, 6s
- mem: 1s, 9s

278 KB, 800 x 1137, jpeg:
+ mem: 0s, 5s
- mem: 1s, 8s

380 KB, 1100 x 1600, progressive jpeg:
+ mem: 50s, 59s
- mem: 51s, 64s

391 KB, 1130 x 1600, progressive jpeg:
+ mem: 36s, 43s
- mem: 38s, 50s

337 KB, 847 x 1200, progressive jpeg:
+ mem: 7s, 11s
- mem: 7s, 13s
+ mem cached*: 2s, 5s
- mem cached*: 3s, 8s

*In the case of the last set of progressive jpegs, Moonshell seems to cache data after viewing the first image to help decode subsequent images faster when moving from one image to the next, or when reloading the same image. This significantly improves performance, making them much more usable. The effect doesn't seem to be present on the other progressive jpegs tested here, possibly because they're larger and require more memory. The others also take significantly longer to load in general, disproportionate to their number of pixels. In general, I'd avoid viewing manga in progressive jpeg format unless you convert it to standard jpeg or something else first.

Another thing worth pointing out is that resolution seems to affect the load times more than file size, so compressing a jpeg more won't likely help it load faster, while resizing it will. The ~1200x1600 pages tested here are much larger than is necessary, and need to be viewed at 50% zoom, so resizing them to around 600x800 or 900x1200 would not only make them easier to view, but also help them load faster and save space on your MicroSD. This was just a quick test of some random pages of manga from a number of sources, but it might also be interesting to test a single image converted to various sizes and formats, to find what works best.

For batch converting images, one freeware program that works well and provides a lot of options is Irfanview.

Warrior522

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Warrior522 said:
Define "a bit of a pain."
Getting the right settings for what you want to read.
Black and white Manga is going to have different quality settings than a color monthly comic, same as that will have a different setting from a newspaper comic (I read Calvin and Hobbes on CBDS).

I tried reading monthly comics on CBDS, and didn't really like it. I felt I had to scan across the whole page first, then read the text to fully get what I was reading. Manga I think would be different as the layouts tend to be smaller.

Again, the hardest part was finding the settings that I liked for the comics, you may be less picky. Also, one of the constraints I was dealing with was size, I only had a 1GB MicroSD and it was nearly full with games BEFORE I got into CBDS.
After I found what I was happy with I set the batch encoder to go overnight and converted a few years worth of comics flawlessly while I slept.

8D

8 gig memory card, and all the evenings in the world. THANK YOU!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality