John Carmack Confirms Doom 4

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Aug 3, 2012.

Aug 3, 2012

John Carmack Confirms Doom 4 by Gahars at 7:37 PM (1,042 Views / 1 Likes) 10 replies

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    id Software has certainly seen better days. The Doom IP isn't so revered anymore, and the studio's last project (the rage inducing, uh, Rage) wasn't received very warmly.

Taking to the stage at Quakecon, John Carmack had something of an apologetic tone.

He then went on to confirm that the studio was still hard at work on Doom 4, and that all of their resources are now focused on getting the project done (in fact, this was why relatively few fixes have been released for Rage).

[​IMG] Tom's Hardware

For those interested, here's Carmack's speech in (abbreviated) video form...
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

1 person likes this.
  2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I'm hoping the next Doom will keep the style of the first two titles, some good old fashioned gore and some great gothic art. The style of Doom 3 was too bland for me but then it matched the gameplay as well.

As for Rage, I didn't think it was that bad (once the patch got released). It played well but it got really samey and the level design was very dated.

3. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I really enjoyed all the Doom releases except for Doom3, so as long as Doom 4 doesn't follow the same theme as Doom 3 then i'll be happy.

4. Crimsonclaw111

Member Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Doom with Rage gunplay would be amazing.

5. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    One of my friends had played it. He said he generally enjoyed it until the final level, which he felt was just a complete joke. From what I've seen, it didn't look awful, but I could understand people being disappointed.

6. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    [​IMG]

Now give me Quake Arena 2 instead of that Quake Live shit and ill believe in IDSoftware again!

7. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    Rage was not nearly the failure everyone made it out to be. I enjoyed every minute of it. Marketing was really the only issue, but the people who were pissed off are also the people who believe everything they read... The final level seemed to me like the point was to go in and mow down everyone in your way and that's exactly what you did. Nightmare difficulty really should have been the normal difficulty though...

8. Izzy011

Member Izzy011 The Business Bitch

United States
    What was so bad with Rage? I considered getting it at Amazon for $10

I didn't even know there was a Doom 3

9. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    Doom 4 was 'confirmed' a while ago. I remember watching something that confirmed its life before RAGE was released. So, this doesn't surprise me, but it's about damn time they release an official announcement.

10. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I loved rage, The racing aspect of the game was great too, Heck the racing aspect of the game was high enough quality to be a game itself, imo.

11. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    I liked Rage a fair bit, but it's release was a giant clusterfuck. Graphics drivers made the game nearly unplayable for a lot of users for the first week or so, but after updates were finally released, it ran great. That said, something Carmack needs to understand is that like many other companies, PC games need to feel like PC games, not to mention look like they were designed for the PC. Rage had such horrible texturing because they had to reduce the data size in order to make it downloadable on Steam as well as playable on consoles. Some of us bought the hard copy so I don't see why they didn't include the game with all textures in the hard copy package and make it free downloadable content for Steam buyers.

I hope that Doom 4 returns to the traditional style but in a more realistic environment. Doom 2 is still loads of fun, but it suffers the lack of realism that today's games have, and Doom 3 as a whole was just a complete piece of garbage in terms of both visual presentation and gameplay.