Gaming I've really messed up my laptop :(

frazzledazzle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have had windows 7 and vista installed on my laptop. It came with vista and I (very stupidly) decided to delete the whole partition using paragon as my 7 disk management doesn't work properly. When it's powered back on it goes into asking about (I think) my wireless adaptor built into the laptop. The only thing I can do on it now is boot ubuntu from my memory stick. Is there anything I can do to boot windows 7 again? Any help much appreciated as I am panicking here
ohnoes.png

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Using your Ubuntu USB stick, download and burn a Windows 7 recovery disk (just Google that, should be the first result). Run that and choose repair, then startup repair. That should sort it out!
yay.gif

frazzledazzle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ohnoes.png
it isn't fixed the startup repair does nothing as the system cannot detect an OS? It asks me to insert a disc with the image on when it is stored in a safe partition on my HDD. My windows isn't exactly legal but I could still access the file and burn it but it's a 6gb file

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You'll need to mark the windows 7 partition as active before it will allow you to use startup repair. Open the Command Prompt on the repair disk and type in the following:
DISKPART
select disk 0
list partition
select partition X (X being whatever partition Windows 7 is on, with 0 being the first partition, 1 being the second, etc.)
active
exit
exit

Now reboot the machine with the repair disc in and launch startup repair again. It should now let you repair your Windows.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you need to reinstall the Windows Boot Manager which may or may not work if you select automatic startup repair. You do not need any specific partition to be active for this to work, actually I think that doesn't really matter anyway. You can use a Win 7 Recovery Disc to fix an XP machine.

So to start off make sure you're using these Win 7 recovery disc (so we're on the same page). Then follow these instructions:

1) Burn the ISO to a CD and boot from it.

2) Whether or not it detects your Win 7 installation, start the Command Prompt.

3) Type "diskpart". Then "select disk 0". Then "list volume".

4) Find your CD/DVD Drive in the list and note the letter that it has been assigned.

5) Type "exit" then "D:" where the letter "D" is the drive letter of your CD/DVD Drive.

6) Type "cd \boot" then "bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr".

7) It should display that a new MBR has been written. Your Win 7 installation should now be bootable. I've use this method countless time and it hasn't failed me yet.

frazzledazzle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thank you both so much!!! i had to do both things and its working again!! i cant thank you enough! less important but i started it up and i was told it wasnt genuine. i used the windows loader 1.8 i had used in the past so the warning has gone. although i cant change the theme back to windows aero as they are greyed out. but once again i could find help elsewhere for this. thanks once again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sigh