PS1/2 Issue with Playstation 2 Playing Retails while Modded

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have been using my Playstation 2 since 2007, and I ran into a weird problem: this silver slim, modded PS2 doesn't read a few retail discs.

I did buy the aforementioned titles secondhand, but I have not really touched them, although they were scrached.

I did simulate a backup scenario using Alcohol 120%, and those worked, while the retail progenitor didn't.

Amazingly, the system runs backups on Ridata discs just fine; only those three retail games don't read.

The message was that the disc was unreadable or words to that effect.

It's just a few weeks ago that the retail copies worked like a charm, albeit scratched.

Should I take the disc to a friend's house to test, or should I just buy a new Playstation 2?

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
it shouldn't take a genius to figure out but your backups are in better condition so your ps2 has no problem reading them.
your pc was able to read the originals no problem because pc disc drives are way better than console ones, so your originals are scratched just enough to make them unreadable to your ps2 but perfectly fine for your pc.

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has there ever been a case where the PS2's lenses would deteriorate to the point of only running backup games and not their retail counterparts?

For now, the rest of my collections (yes, retails) are working.

Now, here's another question: is there a dangerous situation caused by an aged PS2?

Thanks!

Last edited by RobertX,

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Has there ever been a case where the PS2's lenses would deteriorate to the point of only running backup games and not their retail counterparts?

For now, the rest of my collections (yes, retails) are working.

Now, here's another question: is there a dangerous situation caused by an aged PS2?

Thanks!
Some PS2 slims had a bad DVD drive, causing it to break if it read bad media over longer periods of time (if I recall correctly, some companies cheaped out on the discs, so this could mean both both backups and retail discs). This is only true for the earliest slimline models. Besides, the laser assembly works differently when reading DVDs vs CDs (not sure how though), and one might be broken while the other works -- some PS2 games are CD games, and if your PS2 can't read CDs anymore, that might cause this issue.

Optical media doesn't have infinite shelf life, and the retail discs you have might have deteriorated so much as to not be readable by the PS2, but still be read by the computer.

It might be one of, several of, all of, or none of these factors that makes your PS2 not read certain games. You should probably do further testing (and preferably with another PS2) before you bin this and buy a new one though, as others have suggested

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't intend to throw out my PS2, until it proves that it's 100% dead.

Right now, although I intend to test out other retail copies, I think that the theory of wear-and-tear discs is a very logical one.

Massive headache, but at least the backups work fine.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will ask this: my PS2 has a SCPH077001.

Will this model number has any factors as to how it performs?
Might have to adjust the voltage inside the ps2 to have the disc reader work better (basically a few screws and a cog turn or two). Sometimes it'll have trouble running discs in general or one type of disc (cd-rom and dvd-rom) edit (dunno why I replied instead of posting)

Last edited by Mythical,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show