Hacking Issue with Dios Mios v2.10

dcr1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read all the tutorials on here, and they are very helpful and easy to follow. Unfortunately, I can not manage to get any GC game to play on my Wii. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing is working. So far.....

-I have Homebrew installed (IOS 249)
-I have wadmanager v1.7
-I have downloaded and installed (with wad manager) dios mios v2.10
-I also installed RVL-mios-v10.wad and RVL-BC-v6.wad using wad manager
-I have both usb loader gx and cfg usb loader (I currently use cfg usb loader to play my wii backups and it works great)
-I have formatted my 32 GB usb drive to FAT32, 32 kb cluster size, and have set to active and primary (I assumed this was my problem at first so I have tried formatting it with several different programs... windows, easeUS partition master, and DM lizard)
-I used DM toolbox to put the iso's on my drive. (ex. games/*game id*/game.iso)
*replace with actual game id

As far as I know from what I have read, I've done everything I am supposed to in order to run GC games off my usb drive. When I open either of my loaders, however, they do not show any of the GC games that I have on my drive (for usb loader gx I made sure that GC games were set to be displayed). If anyone can help me out here I would really appreciate it, after several hours and an accidental wipe of my sd card I am about ready to throw my wii through a window.

dcr1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: Ok, so after tinkering around with some things (after my last attempt at partitioning I forgot to make the "games" folder, so all the games were just on the root ) I have managed to get usb loader GX to recognize my gamecube games. I still can't play the games though, a message pops up that says "You need to install Devolution or DIOS MIOS (Lite) in order to play Gamecube games from a USB drive". As I mentioned in my previous I installed DIOS MIOS v2.10, and I am very confused as to why it is telling me I need to install DM lite in this case. Ideas?

remaxx

7/11 was an inside job.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to use the lastest beta release of USBLoaderGX to load GC games off a harddrive http://www.mediafire.com/download/63njcn3bp6c9cxm/R1217_IOS222-249-250.7z
Why is not a feature in the official release even though it's a function that's been in USBLoaderGX beta releases for a very long time now? Not sure. But I'm pretty sure this is exactly what you're looking for. I had the same problem as you until I learn this.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I have read all the tutorials on here, and they are very helpful and easy to follow. Unfortunately, I can not manage to get any GC game to play on my Wii. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing is working. So far.....

-I have downloaded and installed (with wad manager) dios mios v2.10
-I also installed RVL-mios-v10.wad and RVL-BC-v6.wad using wad manager

These two occupy the same mios slot and are mutually exclusive. If you installed RVL-mios-v10.wad last, you have removed dios mios

dcr1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tswntk, thanks a lot for that info, apparently I missed that. Anyways, I FINALLY managed to get everything working correctly last night, needless to say I was pretty happy. EDIT: I guess I should clarify that by "working" I mean it loaded the game, showed the intro and then displayed the title screen, but I didn't have a GC controller or memory card at the time though so I just turned the game off. So today I picked up a GC controller and memory card, excited to play these games. I booted up windwaker with controller and memory card plugged in, and it asked me if I wanted to run the game in progressive scan mode. I decided to say yes, and instantly the screen went black. Apparently I should have said no... Ok, no problem, I backed up my sd card recently so i just just deleted my usbloadergx folder and replaced it with the folder from yesterdays backup (the folder that had the settings the time it worked). Also I uninstalled DIOS MIOS using RVL-mios_v10.wad and reinstalled it using DIOSMIOS_2.10.wad. After that didn't work I tried re-installing both DM and RVL-BC-v6.wad. Now when I try to load windwaker my wii either turns off or gets stuck on the DIOS MIOS screen. I have no idea why opting it to run in progressive scan mode made it stop working, and why when I have reinstalled DM and usbloadergx that setting is still saved. The only thing I could think of is the maybe the gamecube memory card somehow has this setting saved in it. I have tried to take it out but when I try to run the game without it, no luck. Please help me out here, this is becoming quite the epic fail and I am usually good at stuff like this :/

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The progressive scan choice is also stored in Sram, and the games check if you previously wanted to used progressive scan (even on other games) and automatically use it.
you can force the progressive scan screen choice to be displayed again by keeping the Gamecube controller's B button pressed when booting a game.

But you shouldn't have seen that screen if your TV didn't support progressive scan mode. It should only be displayed if your Wii is setup as 480p, and you have a component cable. so I'm not sure why you have only a black screen. Did you have sound and could you use the controllers to press Start on the title screen?
If your TV can't display in progressive, always use 480i as default video settings (in the wii and in the loaders)

Alternatively, you could use USBLoaderGX to force "non progressive mode", and it will disable the Progressive scan flag in Sram.
Select Zelda > Settings > Game Load
Video mode : Force NTSC
DML Video mode : Use game's setting
Force progressive : Disabled

(if you are using r1217)

dcr1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The progressive scan choice is also stored in Sram, and the games check if you previously wanted to used progressive scan (even on other games) and automatically use it.
you can force the progressive scan screen choice to be displayed again by keeping the Gamecube controller's B button pressed when booting a game.

But you shouldn't have seen that screen if your TV didn't support progressive scan mode. It should only be displayed if your Wii is setup as 480p, and you have a component cable. so I'm not sure why you have only a black screen. Did you have sound and could you use the controllers to press Start on the title screen?
If your TV can't display in progressive, always use 480i as default video settings (in the wii and in the loaders)

Alternatively, you could use USBLoaderGX to force "non progressive mode", and it will disable the Progressive scan flag in Sram.
Select Zelda > Settings > Game Load
Video mode : Force NTSC
DML Video mode : Use game's setting
Force progressive : Disabled

(if you are using r1217)

Thanks for the input, I'm glad to see that you responded as I have seen your responses in other threads and you always seem to be spot on with your advice and very helpful. You are correct in assuming my TV does support progressive scan, I am using component cables, and my wii is set at 480p. This is why I originally chose to select "yes" when given the option. I have tried setting my Game Load settings to what you suggest, and the result is the same, black screen or a reset. I will give holding the b button a try, I have not heard about that before. And yes, I did have sound, but I did not have a gamecube controller when I first got it working, so I don't know if pressing start would have worked on the title screen. I should also mention that I installed DM Lite and that it works great, but it I can only fit one game on my SD card so this isn't ideal.

dcr1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spent a little while today tinkering around with some stuff, here's a quick summary of my results....
-Attempted to use DM booter instead hoping this might work, same thing happens
-used suggested settings for USBLoader gx, wii turns off after DIOS MIOS appears on screen for 5-10 seconds (I am using r1217)
-tried holding B on GC controller while booting, wii turns off after DIOS MIOS appears on screen for 5-10 seconds

-DM lite seems to work just fine, but I only have a 2 gig SD card, and all the USB storage I could ever want

I'm officially out of idea's and starting to lose hope that this will ever work

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If DML works, then it's not a settings problem.
it's something related to USB.

The shutdown happens when DIOS MIOS encounter a problem and crash. It could be because your hard drive is not compatible with mini-ehci (usb driver used by DM).
But you said that you have sound but no picture, which is very strange. having sound only is caused by a wrong video mode setting. if the hardware was the problem it would not work at all, if the settings were the problem it would not display any pictures with DML either.
maybe you have two different problems here.

Do you have another USB device you could try ? even flash drives, even SD to USB adapters, etc. anything reading USB
try with other devices to see if it works better.

I don't know what else to suggest.

dcr1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If DML works, then it's not a settings problem.
it's something related to USB.

The shutdown happens when DIOS MIOS encounter a problem and crash. It could be because your hard drive is not compatible with mini-ehci (usb driver used by DM).
But you said that you have sound but no picture, which is very strange. having sound only is caused by a wrong video mode setting. if the hardware was the problem it would not work at all, if the settings were the problem it would not display any pictures with DML either.
maybe you have two different problems here.

Do you have another USB device you could try ? even flash drives, even SD to USB adapters, etc. anything reading USB
try with other devices to see if it works better.

I don't know what else to suggest.

Perhaps it is something related to the USB drive, I didn't consider this a possibility because it worked (loaded to the title screen) the first time I tried it, but as I mentioned I did not have a controller so I could not do anything other than watch the title screen (in this case it was WW, the screen where it says "Press start to play" or something like that and has the see/island in the background). Maybe something was messed up when I added another game, but it still sometimes makes it as far as briefly showing the red Nintendo logo before turning off, would it make it this far if the game was not being loaded off the USB? I am sorry if I stated that I had sound with no picture, when I said that I did have sound I was referring to the first time I booted up the game and it went to the title screen, but it had picture as well. After that time it never made it far enough without shutting down my wii to have any sound.

dcr1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not the usb, I have reformatted it over and over again with different programs, and tried other devices. It has to be a settings issue, it was working before I said yes to progressive scan and than instant black screen. Any ideas? Would trying an older version of DM be worth a shot? I'm willing to try anything however far fetched at this point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?