ISOs? help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by snavid972, Aug 29, 2012.

Aug 29, 2012

ISOs? help by snavid972 at 5:13 AM (586 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. snavid972
    OP

Newcomer snavid972 Newbie

United States
    Ok so I soft modded my wii for the first time and downloaded an ISO the wii is not playing the iso using usb loader gx . So I converted my flash drive to wbfs and converted the iso to wbfs and it worked ..im confused did the drive have to be converteds to wbfs to play games or does the iso have to be converted to wbfs?

2. ouch123

Member ouch123 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    WBFS (Wii Backup File System) is a filesystem like FAT and NTFS. Basically, it's the main (but not only) file format that many backup launchers use. To the best of my knowledge, you don't convert ISOs to a "WBFS format," but rather, WBFS manager is simply an interface for reading and writing to HDDs that have been formatted to WBFS, since most (if not all) general-use computer operating systems don't support WBFS natively.

3. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    You dont have to use a WBFS partition. Most loaders can use FAT32 too, some NTFS or EXT2/3/4.
    The recomended FS is FAT32 since it has the highest compability to wii homebrew and is the only one that can be used for GC loading.
    Some people use a FAT32/NTFS split with FAT32 for homebrew, GC and NTFS for Wii because
    they can't stand the thought that their precious Wii games are torn appart into two files.

4. snavid972
    OP

United States
    I was just confused cause the ISO I had downloaded would not work on ntfs format thumb drive....I didnt try Fat32 because the iso is 4.6GB and is too large for Fat32 ....so that led me to the WBFS conversion and now the game reads

5. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    That's why you use a program to split your ISO into *.wbfs files, like WiiBackupManager or something similar. There's little point using a WBFS partition anymore. Go with WBFS files.

6. snavid972
    OP

United States
    The first poster said there are no wbfs files just a wbfs partition format.

7. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    There are.
    You missunderstood what be tried to say.

The point was that the format the files on an WBFS partition are in is nothing special.
    Its just a normal ISO stored as a sparse file, something other fs like NFTS or EXT2/3/4 can do too.

(*.wbfs files on the other hand ARE in a special format,
    a wbfs file is an image of an wbfs filesystem containing a single game)