Gaming Is Skyward Sword worth it?

mrpinkeye

Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly, is it worth the playthrough? I'm only on my way to the third dungeon, and I'm bored as shit with the game. I'm in the desert, and actually having trouble finding my way to the third dungeon. I'm finding the game to be slow and tedious. Does it pick up at all?

I'm a fan of the Zelda series, but jesus fucking christ, this is the worst opening to a Zelda game I've ever played. I thought Majora's Masks intro was slow, but at least Link does flips when he jumps.

im with ya OP. think i got a little further and it said something like "go explore the same three areas again" havent played since. such a shame. the m+ controls were really annoying too, i just waved my hand until things died! also it really didnt need m+ for flying the bird or beetle, i would have rather used the toggle stick.

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a great game, goes up there with OoT for me. It doesn't beat Wind Waker though, and the final boss battle was as good as Twilight Princess in terms of epicness and nostalgia factor.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Worth 1 time play through.
Not worth the money imho.

It feels to me as a half game....
NOT A LOT OF FIGHTING AT ALL.
Just empy area after area....
Weak story, disconnected feel from sky world and world beneath.
Just a action game lacking the zelda feeling.
Some music is nice, but most you will not even remeber hearing.
EASY uninspired side quest that feel more like a chore than anything else.
Godess cubes are a nice touch, though it could be implemented better.
Not enough exploring. Just go from a to b etc.
Dungeons are mostly EMPTY with only a few foes.
Bosses return later on in different dungeons.
No parrallel worlds.
World above the clouds is just a boring unnecissary world map.
Resource hunting for items is badly implemented and feels obsolete.
Not as epic as other zelda games.
The actual packaging of the game is A REAL shame. 5 pages booklet that's it.
Without the wm+ this must be the worst zelda game on a Nintendo console

One half of the story you get to play, the other half of the story is presented in the credits. WICH SUCKS.
Makes the game feel rushed.
Only took me 50 hour to complete. And I mean 100% and I was'nt rushing.
Getting the hylian schield is a tadd hard I must admit...lol.
This game lacks major zelda content.
Where are the puzzles? NOT ENOUGH CHALLENGE!

But, it;s still a zelda game, so you should play through at least once.
I acctually regret paying 50 euro, because it's not worth it imho. No replay value.
The bird flying sucks, I really have no idea why they put that in.....

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Hero mode is the only way to go if you want a good a punch-out!-esque styled combat with a bit of stealth thrown into the mix. This way upgrades and potions actually matters, plus enemies are different.
You must be aware of enemy patterns and weaknesses since taking a hit is much more punishing than playing it on normal, on normal you can just whack your controller and hope for the best in most situations.
There can also be clusters of archers or other enemies where fighting isn't always your best choice, because if someone spots you they'll quickly call for reinforcement.

Hero mode is a genuinely great way of making the game harder, it's not just some unfair mode where the only difference is the amount of hearts enemy attacks takes.

There's a cheat if you want to play hero mode right from the beginning if you want. Downside is that you have to start over your save, though it's totally worth it, trust me!

No you don't have to, just looked it up. (start all over)

Schezo92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eh hero mode isn't actually all that hard because of your stronger Skyward Strike, you can one hit kill most of the early enemies with your fast charging skyward strike. The only time Hero mode is actually hard is the freaking horde battle.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Eh hero mode isn't actually all that hard because of your stronger Skyward Strike, you can one hit kill most of the early enemies with your fast charging skyward strike. The only time Hero mode is actually hard is the freaking horde battle.
I don't pick up heart pieces, plus I just started :P
Oh and enemies/grass don't drop hearts unless you get the heart medal.
But isn't skyward strike the same as in normal? nope
It gets better when acquiring the master sword though.

Schezo92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Your skyward strike in hero mode is at the strongest level in normal mode, you can one hit kill most early enemies and it gives you some early range attacks against enemies, also hearts not dropping isn't usually a problem since you just came out of normal mode, meaning you should be as "skilled" at fighting as at the end of normal mode, also fairies, you shouldn't even need potions if you grab every fairy and put it in a bottle when you find one. Though I did 100% my hero mode file and didn't do 6-heart challenge so that may have to do with something. I actually didn't use a heart medal except for 2 dungeons where I got a heart medal and was too lazy to put it in the Item Check.

Edit: Once you get the last upgrade for the sword your skyward strike charges "instantly" game still takes a second to put it into charging position though =/

mjh2260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked it and played it all the way through. I thought the way the time shift stones worked in the desert was interesting and different. I'd say definetly worth playing through, but thats just me and you're already more unhappy with it than I was... I will say though that it is not my favorite of the series.

mjh2260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
those of you talking about controlling the bird... are you sure you're doing it right? I was well over 1/2 way through the game before i realized you roll the remote rather than swing left/right to steer the thing.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
those of you talking about controlling the bird... are you sure you're doing it right? I was well over 1/2 way through the game before i realized you roll the remote rather than swing left/right to steer the thing.

I do that but it still feels imprecise and useless. There's no reason why they'd choose WM+ for flight controls over an analog stick.

Eight Bit Alien

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it had some of the strongest characters in the series. Established figures like Zelda felt much more alive in this game, as well. It's worth playing through if you've got a strong sense of sentimentality for the Zelda franchise. Lots of emotional payoff in the end, and it does explain a lot about the Zelda universe.

That said, there was something missing from it. I had an odd hollow feeling throughout much of the game. Individual dungeon designs were good, and I did appreciate the aesthetic of everything. The structure of the overworld (and by association, the entire game) was tremendously ill-conceived, I think. This has all been said before, but breaking the game into three major areas undermines the sense of discovery, exploration and wonder that I think is very essential to Zelda.

In short, there are things in the game worth experiencing, but the journey is tedious.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally LOVED this game. Story is what I play games for, mostly, and the story in this is a piece of art.

@[member='ShadowSoldier'], glad to hear you're further along. Just read through the topic to see if I could help shed some light on things. Where are you at now?

The game does get better. Just hold in there! And about the shield thing...
Once you properly revive the Thunder Dragon, you can take part in a Boss Rush mode. Complete it, and you can get the Hylian Shield (a bit of a paradoxical item in this particular game) which does not break. ^_^ Happy hunting!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Speaking of getting stuck, I noticed the channel on the Shop Channel to "fix" your game save if you get stuck. Anyone had that happen and know what that's about?

@[member='MArcusRaven']: I had to close your spoiler after the first few words. It seems no one actually uses spoilers for spoilers and I didn't expect to actually see one inside. I'm just starting the game myself, trying to kill the boss in the first temple.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just started the game a few weeks back, and have been playing it on and off. Personally, it's my favorite Zelda so far, maybe even beating out Majora's Mask, just because of all the small details which brings the world alive. Whereas Twilight Princess felt incredibly closed-off and artificial, Skyward Sword has a very vibrant sense of life that occurs no matter where you are. The areas in the game promote a sense of exploration, making almost everything you see centric to the gameplay or the plot, or the player's enjoyment, in some fashion.

I'm only just at the end of the desert temple thingy, and I find the game fun. But I'm always looking around in first-person, taking in the designs and character of enemies, dungeons, locales, and the characters themselves. But this does feel like a very minor episode, so to say, rather than, like, a full-length movie. It feels like it's never going to break past this level of "fun" but just remain at it the entire time. Sorta like Okami was, where once you reached an early threshold, the game simply kept its pace, rather than getting even better (or worse).

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Speaking of getting stuck, I noticed the channel on the Shop Channel to "fix" your game save if you get stuck. Anyone had that happen and know what that's about?
That's about this game breaking bug. The chances of encountering it are small (you have to do a few things pretty much out of order), but it's in the game.

@topic: it's been some time since I played it, so here are the things I remember (of course: MY opinion)...
The good:
+ the RPG elements like actually having a simple way to upgrade what you have without having to grind anything. No infinite running also added to the game
+ dungeon design & design of the lower world
+ Ghirahim: I can't exactly explain WHY I like this guy, but I do. It's a bit of the humour, the taunting and teasing, his style...most baddies in games do nothing but look evil, talk in clichés and await you at the end of the game. The guy is high up in my list of likeable antagonists. And I like a good antagonist. :)

Neutral/undecided:
~ the story. I know that if it was shorter, it wouldn't have the effect of drawing out good characters like Ghirahim or Groose, but c'mon...there were times where I was thinking if I was playing a video game or watching a movie. This isn't final fantasy.
~ the swordfighting mechanics. It's new and innovative...which is exactly why people hated it. After I got used to it, I liked it...but I sure hope future Zelda games don't expect us to wave a wiimote with one hand and the wiiU controller in the other hand

The bad:
- Fi: ugh...no. Shut her up already. And why does a fantasy sword talk like a nineties computer inferface? (it's not that the two styles are mutually exclusive...but it's not something to do with one of the major characters)
-no sense of exploration: you can't wander from one area to the next one: you've got to do everything through the clouds. And your travel usually isn't made possible by the items you find in the previous dungeon but by events that only occur after visiting said dungeon.
-the upper world. what's the point of it? one place where you buy EVERYTHING (which also means it's pretty much the only non-combat zone you'll remember), some floating rocks that spawn treasure if you find a cube below (wouldn't it be easier to just NOT use a cube and put a treasure chest there? Same reward, far less backtracking) and a whole lot of empty space in between.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool