Is my Wii fried?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by gotchaff, Oct 3, 2009.

Oct 3, 2009

Is my Wii fried? by gotchaff at 8:24 PM (592 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. gotchaff
    OP

Newcomer gotchaff Member

United States
    A couple weeks ago my power cord started acting funky. I'm pretty sure there is a break in the wires because you would have to move the cable around a bit until the Wii would turn on. If you moved the cable while playing the Wii, it would lose power.

So anyway, that was the situation for a week or so, then my Wii stopped working completely. It turns on (the light turns green), but there is no display or sound. I tried different V/A cables but no luck. I'm gonna borrow my friends power cord to see if it works, but I'm guessing it won't.

According to my dad, who works with computers, by moving the cord around I was constantly supplying the Wii with power, then no power, then power again. Because of all the surges it probably fried the motherboard.

Anyone ever hear about this problem? What are my options as far as repairs go?

2. Vattu

Member Vattu GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    if you're lucky, simple motherboard components, like capacitors or resistors have failed, and you can resolder new ones.