Hacking Is Jig Only Needed For Setup?

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, just finding out about Switch CFW today.

If I were to set up CFW and download some backups, would I need to use the jig every time I turned on my switch to play said backups? Or is the jig only for the initial setup?

Thanks.

harmbasi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, you need the jig everytime you power on the switch (from full power off).

Current CFW only edit memory and not anything on the switch itself so when you restart memory is cleared.

Reactions: mranonymous

djorn2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, just finding out about Switch CFW today.

If I were to set up CFW and download some backups, would I need to use the jig every time I turned on my switch to play said backups? Or is the jig only for the initial setup?

Thanks.

Always going to need a jig if you power off your switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always going to need a jig if you power off your switch.

Ah, I totally forgot about sleep mode. I’ve used sleep mode exclusively since I’ve gotten my Switch. So the Switch will wake back up with no problems in CFW?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

need jig to get into rcm mode each time, or you can use autorcm

Thanks. Are there any negatives to autorcm? I think I remember reading some kind of warning about it on a YouTube comment, but can’t forget what it was. Maybe something about it blocking booting in standard mode for good or something?

Mthodmn101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I totally forgot about sleep mode. I’ve used sleep mode exclusively since I’ve gotten my Switch. So the Switch will wake back up with no problems in CFW?

Thanks. Are there any negatives to autorcm? I think I remember reading some kind of warning about it on a YouTube comment, but can’t forget what it was. Maybe something about it blocking booting in standard mode for good or something?

it will automatically put the console into rcm mode, and will be black screen until u push the payload... so essentially pressing power = rcm mode

djorn2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, that will work. Just make sure if you use autoRCM not to drain the battery while in sleep. There are known batteries issues with autoRCM enable.

BryanNigson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's cool if you just dock it in sleep/charge mode. But you should have a tool (jig) for when you need it and you'll need to do that when you want to update your sd card with the latest pirated games. But it's not like you need to do it all the time, not too much of a hassle as is.
Auto RCM is not that useful as it only does half the job - you'll still need to hook up your Switch - would advise against it unless you tinker all the time.

Last edited by BryanNigson,

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

only downside to autorcm is you cannon turn the switch on by itself you would need to run a payload since it cant boot OFW

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! Is there a definitive guide that covers everything from Homebrew, to CFW, to installing an app to get backups?

I’ve been watching YouTube vids but they are from months ago, and also none of them cover everything as a whole. Also, the Switch version of 3DS hacks guide site doesn’t have anything available for my firmware.

only downside to autorcm is you cannon turn the switch on by itself you would need to run a payload since it cant boot OFW

Ah yes, that’s what it was thanks. I think I’d probably nix autorcm since I’m a sleep mode kinda guy. But maybe I’d use it in the future

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just to confirm, you can boot without the jig using autoRCM, so long as you use a payload, right? Or is there no point in having autoRCM if you prefer to turn off the device over sleep mode?

ranova

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that will work. Just make sure if you use autoRCM not to drain the battery while in sleep. There are known batteries issues with autoRCM enable.

I tested a full drain (battery icon doesnt pop up when you press power) with autorcm installed by two different methods:
1) docking it in the official dock and then holding power for 15 seconds (essentially closing RCM) then leaving it to charge for an hour. Plugged my phone in to inject the payload and it booted
2) just plugging it into the wall directly and leaving it to charge for an hour. Plugged my phone in to inject the payload and it also booted.

I think all those "the battery doesnt charge while in RCM" or "if you drain your battery with AutoRCM installed, your switch is screwed" is complete FUD. Additionally, others are freaking out after only trying to charge for 15 minutes. If you completely drained the battery where you no longer see the battery icon pop up, you need to do at least 30-45 min of charging.

Last edited by ranova,

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just to confirm, you can boot without the jig using autoRCM, so long as you use a payload, right? Or is there no point in having autoRCM if you prefer to turn off the device over sleep mode?

From what I gather, if you will primarily be using sleep mode, it may be better not to install autoRCM. While I’ve seen many people say autoRCM is harmless, I’ve also seen a lot of people say it caused them issues. And someone correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t autoRCM make it a lot easier for Nintendo to detect CFW, leading to a more likely ban?

D

Deleted User

From what I gather, if you will primarily be using sleep mode, it may be better not to install autoRCM. While I’ve seen many people say autoRCM is harmless, I’ve also seen a lot of people say it caused them issues. And someone correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t autoRCM make it a lot easier for Nintendo to detect CFW, leading to a more likely ban?
I have autorcm enabled but leaving the switch nearly all the time in sleep mode - haven‘t experienced major battery drain so far - so fine with me

josephdin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
huh? i thought the jig was only needed once for setup and then once you install auto rcm everytime you power off the switch you need the dongle, not the jig(little tool that goes inside right joycon area) So as long as you have your dongle charged you can boot with volume+ and power

Yes, you need the jig everytime you power on the switch (from full power off).

Current CFW only edit memory and not anything on the switch itself so when you restart memory is cleared.

also keep in mind if it doesn't boot while holding volume+power either
1. the switch battery is depleted
2. (hold power button to make sure its completely off while charging) after charging switch for 1 hour
3. Charge the sx dongle (something i knew absolutely nothing about, no wonder that it came with a short usb cable lol)

step 3 really had me panicking, it was a simple fix and i was bashing auto rcm at the time and didn't realize i just had to re-charge the dongle after using 5 times, again sx should include a mini pamphlet letting u know stuff like this.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

huh? i thought the jig was only needed once for setup and then once you install auto rcm everytime you power off the switch you need the dongle, not the jig(little tool that goes inside right joycon area) So as long as you have your dongle charged you can boot with volume+ and power

Correct, as long as you have something to deploy the payload(computer, phone, etc.) then you will be fine. just every time you turn on your switch it will boot into RCM mode, effectively making it a brick without a tethered(payload) boot

Reactions: machinoman

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The JIG technically is used to gain access to RCM, or the SXOS menu. But you can install Auto-RCM, which means you just need to insert your payload loading method into the USB-C port.

The benefit of Auto-RCM is that you don't need to JIG the console each time. But it's recommended that the JIG is used, because you'll find the console loses a small percentage of battery life in a matter of hours, due to Auto-RCM being a standby mode.

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have autorcm enabled but leaving the switch nearly all the time in sleep mode - haven‘t experienced major battery drain so far - so fine with me

Gotcha, nice to hear. Do you know if there’s any truth to autoRCM setting any red flags for a ban? I read somewhere that autoRCM is almost instantly detected by Nintendo when online, but I’m not sure if there’s truth to that

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha, nice to hear. Do you know if there’s any truth to autoRCM setting any red flags for a ban? I read somewhere that autoRCM is almost instantly detected by Nintendo when online, but I’m not sure if there’s truth to that
if it's any consolation, I play my switch all the time, while connected to the network. while I haven't tried to log into splatoon 2 for awhile, I do play several games with leaderboards, and I let them connect frequently, so far no banhammer, and I have been running AutoRCM since I got my switch(I've had it for a little over a month now)

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password