is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by luke9511, May 9, 2014.

  1. luke9511
    OP

    luke9511 GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    151
    3
    Sep 10, 2012
    United States
    hey all, i have a spare xbox that i want to softmod using my other xbox and then on this spare upgrade the hard drive to a 2tb hdd and dump my dvd movies on it using xbmc or something but is it worth it or should i scrap it and just spend a couple hundred on something else?
     
  2. FAST6191

    FAST6191 Techromancer

    pip Reporter
    23,355
    9,148
    Nov 21, 2005
    Everybody has gone H264 for video these days and that pushes the Xbox XBMC builds to breaking. If you have all Xvid and will continue to rip to that then it could be an option.

    XBMC on a raspberry pi would probably represent a better option If you have a couple of hundred then a PC will do all that and have trivial access to every streaming service, probably with the best selection and UI to boot.

    As for the xbox if it works then do not scrap it -- if you have a softmod already then you are spared most of the aggro with modding them (give or take the hard drive replacement). Mod it and give it to someone that wants it. Even if their media options are not the best these days they still make good emulation boxes, even on a stock hard drive.
     
  3. luke9511
    OP

    luke9511 GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    151
    3
    Sep 10, 2012
    United States
    im going to go ahead and install xbmc4xbox on it, but first i need to softmod it, is there a way to do it with my already softmoded xbox?
     
  4. FAST6191

    FAST6191 Techromancer

    pip Reporter
    23,355
    9,148
    Nov 21, 2005
    Not as such.

    Most use a modded xbox as it provides an easy means to add files to a memory card; this saves probably 90% of the hassle of modding as it means no need to fiddle with USB drives, the action replay software and whatever else (the other 10% is mostly people forgetting to copy both parts of the save file to the hard drive).
     
  5. luke9511
    OP

    luke9511 GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    151
    3
    Sep 10, 2012
    United States
    i downloaded xbmc4xbox and put it on my modded xbox as a test and it works, then i ripped a dvd to the hard drive and setup xbmc to find the folder where they are at and it works perfectly, also i am not streaming across a network it will be connected to a single tv and only connected to the net to update things