Hacking Is it possible to re-insert 3DS save data post format?

Evanpik64

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few years ago I copied my "3DS" folder onto my computer and did a system format, thinking I could re-insert the data. Yes I know I was a massive idiot lol
It's been a while since and I was curious if a way has been developed to take my save data and inject it back into my 3DS post format? I'm a complete newbie to 3DS hacking, so sorry if this is a hassle.

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The contents of the `Nintendo 3DS` folder are encrypted with a console-specific key. If you:
- have access to a modded console that has friended the console before it was system formatted
- have an exported Mii QR code from the console before it was system formatted

it may be possible to figure out the console-specific key via Seedminer. Once you have that, you'd hopefully be able to decrypt the data with something like 3ds-save-tool.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard of the friends' method, but not the qr one. I don't know much about them though. I was going to suggest using the movable.sed method if he has a backup of the NAND, but @TurdPooCharger already has I extracted my moveable.sed and keyY.bin from a NAND backup (keyY.bin is 0x910-91F in a NAND backup iirc). the movable.sed will say SEED in ascii in hex, so you'll know you're on the right line. that's the beginning of it.

btw, there's a app by my friend @Joel16 (he's a member here) that dumps the moveable.sed among other things in a gui interface in case you don't want to use the NAND or the godmode way. iirc, it's called 3ds recovery tool. it's one of few homebrews I have on my system. I'm so paranoid about losing stuff that I always backup everything after making changes to my system. I did hex compare everything, and the only stuff that seemed to change were the databases. some remain the same, but most will change if you install something new or even if you update content.

Last edited by godreborn,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shucks, that's been out for a whole year now and I never appreciated what it was capable of.
Whatever it takes to get the job done fixing stuff as cleanly as possible. I'm not concern if the script never catches on or is widely acknowledged. Maybe it's part of the script's charm is that it's not well known. :)

I'm not familiar with that technique. Do you know how that works?
I too am interested in how this Mii QR code works as part of KeyY data recovery.

Here's some reading material to help us familiarize ourselves before she replies back.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever it takes to get the job done fixing stuff as cleanly as possible. I'm not concern if the script never catches on or is widely acknowledged. Maybe it's part of the script's charm is that it's not well known. :)

I too am interested in how this Mii QR code works as part of KeyY data recovery.

Here's some reading material to help us familiarize ourselves before she replies back.

speaking of scripts, I think I may have been one of the first to get the godmode scripts. at that time, there was a backup script for sysnand but no restore one. I had to download that separately. later on, I just redid the finalizing part of the 3ds guide to get everything up to date including things like the rtc time.

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not familiar with that technique. Do you know how that works?
I don't know enough to know any specifics of how stuff works, so here's the explanation from zoogie:
image.jpg

Last edited by lilyuwuu,

Evanpik64

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry it's been a while since I posted this, but the CTRTransfer fix moveable.sed KeyY method didn't seem to work. (I'm assuming because the 3ds folder I'm trying to recover had a system transfer at some point)

Could somebody send me a link to a guide for the method I can use if someone has my old profile on their friends list?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the CTRTransfer fix moveable.sed KeyY method didn't seem to work.
What happened when you tried?

Could somebody send me a link to a guide for the method I can use if someone has my old profile on their friends list?
There's not much to it. You need to run seedstarter.3dsx (or seedstarter.cia) from https://github.com/zoogie/seedminer/releases/tag/v2.1 on the 3DS in question and follow the instructions in readme.txt , under "[B - No homebrew but friend with homebrew]". (Note the part about seedstarter.xml.)

To run seedstarter.3dsx, I think you can use Browserhax, as in https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(browser) . But to start the Homebrew Launcher, you'll need the old otherapp payload instead of universal-otherapp (which is only used for installing b9s), which you can get from https://3ds.hacks.guide/homebrew-launcher-(pichaxx) . Otherwise you can just use pichaxx – or you can just do a full installation of b9s+Luma.

The old brute-force seedminer sites used to allow you to upload your movable_part1.sed and thus get your full movable.sed, but I'm not sure what the status of those is. You might have to use seedminer on your own PC hardware.

Evanpik64

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happened when you tried?

When I ran the application it stayed at 0% the whole time and ended saying that a match couldn't be found, tried it 3 times sadly. the 3ds folder I have came from a system that I'm pretty confident was transferred to, so that's probably why. Anyways thanks for the links and info, hopefully I can get something working!

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the future reference of anyone else encountering this thread, I should add that the readme in question discusses obtaining the movable.sed with a Mii QR code.

Currently for dedicated GPUs only. Needs Pycryptodomex installed. (pip install pycryptodomex)
0) (Optional) - if you wish to brute force your mii qr and movable.sed in one command, do step 3 in part B and place the
movable_part1.sed in the seedminer folder. This file will automatically be generated with the id0 command if it doesn't exist.
1) Find a mii in mii maker that was created on YOUR system. That's very important. Make one from scratch if you're not sure where it came from.
2) Export the mii to a QR code. They're found in the "sdmc:/DCIM/100NIN03/" and named something like "HNI_1234.JPG".
3) Upload it to https://3ds.goombi.fr/editMii/ then "Import from -> QR code"
4) "Export to -> encrypted .bin"
5) Take resulting input.bin, place it in the seedminer/ directory, and run:
python seedminer_launcher.py mii new|old [year of 3ds manufacture]
NOTE: If you have a new3ds, you *might* have to choose "mii old". If you sys-transferred from an old3ds, and have never system
formatted, you will need to select old. Although an incorrect guess will cause the brute force to fail, you can try the other
option next time.
NOTE2: You can optionally select the year you guess the 3ds was manufactured. This is done in hopes of reducing the brute-force time.
If you have no clue, just don't enter a year. The brute force will then start in the midpoint of the possible LFCS range.
A wrong year guess will not fail the brute force.
(old3ds 2011-2017, new3ds 2014-2017 inclusive are accepted year options)
7) Wait until movable_part1.sed dumps then move on to brute forcing movable.sed (if you did the optional step 0, the next brute force
should start automatically and you can proceed to DSIHaxInjector stage when everythin is done).

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get my movable.sed with @Joel16 's 3ds recovery tool. it's a normal installable app, which I think there's also a homebrew launcher version. you might be able to get it through godmode (don't recall) as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr