is it possible to change product code WITOUTH using 3ds builder?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Filo97, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Filo97
    OP

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    Is it possible?

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yes, in fact once you learn how to use the trinity (ctrtool 3dstool makerom) you realize how limited those tools really are...

You need to extract the NCCH into its parts (header, exeader, exefs, plain region, logo, romfs, ...) with 3dstool, then the product code is in the header:
    Cattura.PNG
    You have 16 bytes to express yourself, so you don't need to follow the "?TR-?-????" format! (all homebrew cia authors, please read carefully!) :)

ihaveamac likes this.
  3. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    Product Code doesn't have a hash check, so you just need to extract the NCCH container and edit it in the header. no need to extract ExeFS/RomFS/etc. separately just for this

4. Filo97
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    what i don't know how to use. i am only good at copy pasting command :(

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Tell me what cia you want to work on (system file? game? with manual? how about download play?)

6. Filo97
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    it's Pokemon AS randomized. no need for a manual because 3ds simple CIA converter doesnt include it

7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Get the 3 programs, msvcr120.dll, and the cia (I'll call it "oras.cia") in the same folder;
    open a command line in this folder;
    "ctrtool oras.cia --contents=ncch" to extract all partitions into files called ncch.000?.????????, you want the one with a 0 in the 4-digit number
    "3dstool -xvtf cxi ncch.0000.???????? --header cxiheader.bin --exh exheader.bin --plain plain.bin --exefs exefs.bin --romfs romfs.bin --logo logo.bcma.lz" to extract the ncch
    Now open cxiheader.bin in a hex editor, you will see what I did in my first post of this topic, edit and save
    "3dstool -cvtf cxi ncch.0000.???????? --header cxiheader.bin --exh exheader.bin --plain plain.bin --exefs exefs.bin --romfs romfs.bin --logo logo.bcma.lz" if this gives errors about missing parts, probably the logo, just remove that part and try again
    "makerom -f cia -o oras-custom.cia -content ncch.0000.????????:0:????????" (yes, after the ncch filename, you have to write the numbers in its original name again

Good luck!

Filo97 likes this.