Hardware Is it Bad for you?

TaNmAn150

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was just wondering, when 3-D TV came out, there was lots of complaints saying that 3-D TV is bad for your eyes and such, but that is because there was the need for 3-D Glasses. I am wondering, if playing too much would be bad for you. Any effects?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The 3D TV was bad because of the flickering of the glasses. They solved it by increasing the frequency at which they flicker, so now it's less noticeable.

The 3DS will probably take some getting used to, but I don't think it's unhealthy. It's no more dangerous than an LCD screen.

On the other hand, some games might give you motion sickness (I remember when I first played Wolfenstein.... *bleurgh* ), and the 3D certainly won't help there
laugh.gif

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It might give you a headache until you're used to 2 separate images being transmitted to each eye, but that shouldn't add any more strain than playing a normal handheld.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
specht said:
It might give you a headache until you're used to 2 separate images being transmitted to each eye, but that shouldn't add any more strain than playing a normal handheld.

Surely your eyes receive two seperate images all the time anyway, which is how we seen the real world in 3D?
unsure.gif

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BlueStar said:
specht said:

Surely your eyes receive two seperate images all the time anyway, which is how we seen the real world in 3D?
unsure.gif

Exactly, you're used to viewing 3D in the real world. But when both eyes are focused on the same screen the brain will expect a 2D image which may give some people a headache.

But that'd be a worse case scenario. No more common than the idea of some people having seizures playing video games.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CamulaHikari said:
I don't know, but as far as I know you can put the 3D off, so if it does hurt your eyes you just turn it off?

Another reason for the 3D slider would be so people can watch you play over your shoulder without the image being distorted from the 3D as much.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The potential for headaches are there, but one must also remember if you're basing this off the Virtual Boy it didn't quite work the same. Part of the issue with the Virtual Boy in headaches and nausea was the jamming your face into a big black foam cloak and then having 2 very split apart images messing with your head jamming it together to make 3 layers of distinct 3D moving at different rates to cause depth.

This new thing you're not a prisoner, it's ONE screen with the slider. You'll not be fixed into a tiny space of darkness with a little square image but using a normal handheld. Odds are if someone gets a headache or sick off it, they probably would from any form of 3D and not so much related to backwater VB type 3D as this isn't quite the same.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Vampire Hunter D said:
The potential for headaches are there, but one must also remember if you're basing this off the Virtual Boy it didn't quite work the same. Part of the issue with the Virtual Boy in headaches and nausea was the jamming your face into a big black foam cloak and then having 2 very split apart images messing with your head jamming it together to make 3 layers of distinct 3D moving at different rates to cause depth.

This new thing you're not a prisoner, it's ONE screen with the slider. You'll not be fixed into a tiny space of darkness with a little square image but using a normal handheld. Odds are if someone gets a headache or sick off it, they probably would from any form of 3D and not so much related to backwater VB type 3D as this isn't quite the same.
Not to forget 2 rotating mirrors shining bright red LED light straight into your eyes while unable to find any comfort in the surroundings.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo probably have legal consultants and health&safety committees(or something) to test and approve if their system is safe for eyes of all ages or whatever.

You're seeing 2 separate images always anyway, close your left eye, then close your right eye, bam! 2 separate images looking at different angles.

The only thing is, you will actually be looking at 4 images. the left image from the game will be seen by both your eyes(2 images), then the right image from the game will be the same(another 2 images).

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Some fast played games like SMG may cause slight nausea and a headache but no serious health effects, unless you play it for 10 hours straight each day which will put repetitive strain on your eyes which may lead to needing glasses, or stronger lenses if you already wear them.

G

GentleFist

specht said:
CamulaHikari said:
I don't know, but as far as I know you can put the 3D off, so if it does hurt your eyes you just turn it off?

Another reason for the 3D slider would be so people can watch you play over your shoulder without the image being distorted from the 3D as much.

why should the image get distorted? if you watch the videos on nintendos site you can still see whats going on on the screen and nothing is being distorted

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
altorn said:
the thing is, if you turn of the 3D effect, it will be DS. Let's see what the people who tried out the 3DS in person have to blog/report on their experience.
No , because that where the graphics comes in which is way better then the DS .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.