Is it Bad for you?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TaNmAn150, Jun 17, 2010.

Jun 17, 2010

Is it Bad for you? by TaNmAn150 at 1:44 PM (2,338 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. TaNmAn150
    OP

Newcomer TaNmAn150 Member

Australia
    I was just wondering, when 3-D TV came out, there was lots of complaints saying that 3-D TV is bad for your eyes and such, but that is because there was the need for 3-D Glasses. I am wondering, if playing too much would be bad for you. Any effects?

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    The 3D TV was bad because of the flickering of the glasses. They solved it by increasing the frequency at which they flicker, so now it's less noticeable.

The 3DS will probably take some getting used to, but I don't think it's unhealthy. It's no more dangerous than an LCD screen.

On the other hand, some games might give you motion sickness (I remember when I first played Wolfenstein.... *bleurgh* ), and the 3D certainly won't help there [​IMG]

3. specht

Member specht GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    It might give you a headache until you're used to 2 separate images being transmitted to each eye, but that shouldn't add any more strain than playing a normal handheld.

4. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Surely your eyes receive two seperate images all the time anyway, which is how we seen the real world in 3D? [​IMG]

5. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Why do you ask us ? We are not doctors or anything. Ask the right professional about it.

6. CamulaHikari

Member CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Netherlands
    I don't know, but as far as I know you can put the 3D off, so if it does hurt your eyes you just turn it off?

7. specht

Canada
    Exactly, you're used to viewing 3D in the real world. But when both eyes are focused on the same screen the brain will expect a 2D image which may give some people a headache.

But that'd be a worse case scenario. No more common than the idea of some people having seizures playing video games.

8. specht

Canada
    Another reason for the 3D slider would be so people can watch you play over your shoulder without the image being distorted from the 3D as much.

9. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    The potential for headaches are there, but one must also remember if you're basing this off the Virtual Boy it didn't quite work the same. Part of the issue with the Virtual Boy in headaches and nausea was the jamming your face into a big black foam cloak and then having 2 very split apart images messing with your head jamming it together to make 3 layers of distinct 3D moving at different rates to cause depth.

This new thing you're not a prisoner, it's ONE screen with the slider. You'll not be fixed into a tiny space of darkness with a little square image but using a normal handheld. Odds are if someone gets a headache or sick off it, they probably would from any form of 3D and not so much related to backwater VB type 3D as this isn't quite the same.

10. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Not to forget 2 rotating mirrors shining bright red LED light straight into your eyes while unable to find any comfort in the surroundings.

11. Arp1

Member Arp1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    3D can ruin depth perception, but I don't know about these new TV's.

12. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Nintendo probably have legal consultants and health&safety committees(or something) to test and approve if their system is safe for eyes of all ages or whatever.

You're seeing 2 separate images always anyway, close your left eye, then close your right eye, bam! 2 separate images looking at different angles.

The only thing is, you will actually be looking at 4 images. the left image from the game will be seen by both your eyes(2 images), then the right image from the game will be the same(another 2 images).

13. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    WUT?????

14. Delta517

Member Delta517 Its okay...Im a ninja ;)

Norway
    Maybe you'll get some headache, but not any serious stuff. [​IMG] If you're concerned, then just turn off the 3D effect. [​IMG]

15. giratina16

Member giratina16 Born This Way

United Kingdom
    Some fast played games like SMG may cause slight nausea and a headache but no serious health effects, unless you play it for 10 hours straight each day which will put repetitive strain on your eyes which may lead to needing glasses, or stronger lenses if you already wear them.

16. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    the thing is, if you turn of the 3D effect, it will be DS. Let's see what the people who tried out the 3DS in person have to blog/report on their experience.

17. GentleFist

GentleFist Newbie

why should the image get distorted? if you watch the videos on nintendos site you can still see whats going on on the screen and nothing is being distorted

18. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    No , because that where the graphics comes in which is way better then the DS .

19. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Without 3D, there is no depth to perceive...

20. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    I agree with most things said on this thread but in the end only time will tell whether 3D Gaming will have an effect. In any case, I'm buying one!