Hacking Is gateway-gate still a consistent problem?

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, just like how ShadowHand calls his implementation ShadowNAND. The only difference is that ShadowNAND says "forked from dark-samus/arm9loaderhax". If Gateway used dark-samus's code, they technically have to do something like that too, but my point is that they're already doing much worse by including copyrighted Nintendo files.

My issue with it is that they have actively attempted to destroy the NANDs of people using "unofficial" Gateway 3DS carts like DSTWO+ because said people are using their code without their permission, but they have no qualms about taking someone else's code and not only failing to properly credit them, but even going so far as to imply it was their own creation.

Reactions: N7Kopper

Atro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My issue with it is that they have actively attempted to destroy the NANDs of people using "unofficial" Gateway 3DS carts like DSTWO+ because said people are using their code without their permission, but they have no qualms about taking someone else's code and not only failing to properly credit them, but even going so far as to imply it was their own creation.
The work is derivative. If Gateway forks something they have the right to rename it to whatever they choose. As an artist, stuff like this occurs all the time, if you the creator, provide a base, and others use it, they have the right to name what they create from the base. And them saying "formerly known as A9LH" really shouldn't be much of an issue, seeing as how it's Gateway's implementation of the exploit now. Gateway is almost never credited when people mention exploits that were RE'd from their launcher. No one says "thanks to the Gateway team, for firmlaunchhax and memchunkhax". They might've been discovered by other people, but they were closed source devs, so can you really thank them for something like that?

I digress. But all I'm trying to say is, this complaining is all very unnecessary.

Reactions: evandixon

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The work is derivative. If Gateway forks something they have the right to rename it to whatever they choose. As an artist, stuff like this occurs all the time, if you the creator, provide a base, and others use it, they have the right to name what they create from the base. And them saying "formerly known as A9LH" really shouldn't be much of an issue, seeing as how it's Gateway's implementation of the exploit now. Gateway is almost never credited when people mention exploits that were RE'd from their launcher. No one says "thanks to the Gateway team, for firmlaunchhax and memchunkhax". They might've been discovered by other people, but they were closed source devs, so can you really thank them for something like that?

I digress. But all I'm trying to say is, this complaining is all very unnecessary.

That awkward moment when mch and flh weren't Gateway's to begin with (as you said).. Interesting, right? Thank you Gateway for releasing someone else's code and claiming it as yours! That work for you? Hm.

This bickering is petty and irrelevant, nonetheless.

As for OP, you have your answers. This thread is ready to turn into a shit fest. Please request to have it locked.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That awkward moment when mch and flh weren't Gateway's to begin with (as you said).. Interesting, right? Thank you Gateway for releasing someone else's code and claiming it as yours! That work for you? Hm.

As for OP, you have your answers. This thread is ready to turn into a shit fest. Please request to have it locked.
I guess we do already have a thread for this.
Totally not shameless advertising

Reactions: Kioku

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Also they have the right to do with their code what they want, if you want to use their code "as is" you take the consequences of your actions, the only ones bricked are dstwo+ as of recently, no legit user has been affected by that, besides 2 persons in 2014 i think, if you dont want to use the perks that gateway provide, use cfw, its free and it has its own perks, if you can use both is the best experience

Atro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sorry, I'd rather not turn this thread into shit more than I already have, but by nature I must clear up this misunderstanding. When I said they didn't discover it, I was referring to the fact that 3dbrew won't tell you that they did. They'll probably talk about yellows8 or another dev, but even if they did discover it, these devs are closed-source, and horded the exploits to themselves. Gateway had the first semi public release of these exploits and many more, but everyone RE'd Gateway and stole them from them. But of course, since everyone thinks it's hip to hate on Gateway, you never see mention of this. Nor do you see anyone thank Gateway for being the first to release these exploits and having their work stolen.

And yes, it's possible to discover something separately, it wasn't an act of Gateway leaking yelliws8's code or something.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't really believe that people get so tribalistic over Gateway... oh, wait, yes I can, because humans are instinctively tribal, we can get tribal over anything and everything, in fact, it's harder not to. Basically impossible, even. Best you can hope for most of the time is to tribe up based on what the facts and your logic tell you.

I suppose I had that in mind when I said to myself, back in the day "Hm, this 'Gateway' looks like a whole lot of rubbish. I'll commit to modding when there's an actual solution that isn't made by amoral businesspeople."

When I see Brickway unironically place highly destructive copy protection on their piracy card, that only confirms my initial suspicions. Even the most draconian of copy protection from legitimate companies never blew up your system for trying to use a counterfeit dongle. There's no reason why Gateway couldn't just make their loaders yell at you, except for pure amoral greed. I suppose you could technically run homebrew on a Gateway, but it's designed for game ROMs. Joke's on them, it's easier to pirate with CIAs, too!

Do I care if the people working there found some of this stuff first? No, no I don't. The fact of the matter is, Gateway was closed source too. And not even because they mistakenly believe that digital piracy somehow tears chunks out of actual sales, rather than mostly being stuff the pirate would never have bought anyway. I can respect that view, even if I disagree. That combined with the brick code that did hurt "legitimate" consumers - patch or no patch, this isn't some Lumiose City save softlock, this is a bricked system. Gateway are nothing more than fences of the digital era.

For any lurkers, ignore Gateway. Pick up a proper CFW installation, ignore the apologists, and use NTR if you want hotpatching, cheats, N3DS video streaming, and all the goodies. There's a multitude of good reasons why it's "hip to hate on Gateway"
You could compare it to hating on feminism, except that Gateway was at one point the best solution for first-adopters, amoral or no.

Last edited by N7Kopper,
Reactions: Swiftloke

Atro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't really believe that people get so tribalistic over Gateway... oh, wait, yes I can, because humans are instinctively tribal, we can get tribal over anything and everything, in fact, it's harder not to. Basically impossible, even. Best you can hope for most of the time is to tribe up based on what the facts and your logic tell you.

I suppose I had that in mind when I said to myself, back in the day "Hm, this 'Gateway' looks like a whole lot of rubbish. I'll commit to modding when there's an actual solution that isn't made by amoral businesspeople."

When I see Brickway unironically place highly destructive copy protection on their piracy card, that only confirms my initial suspicions. Even the most draconian of copy protection from legitimate companies never blew up your system for trying to use a counterfeit dongle. There's no reason why Gateway couldn't just make their loaders yell at you, except for pure amoral greed. I suppose you could technically run homebrew on a Gateway, but it's designed for game ROMs. Joke's on them, it's easier to pirate with CIAs, too!

Do I care if the people working there found some of this stuff first? No, no I don't. The fact of the matter is, Gateway was closed source too. And not even because they mistakenly believe that digital piracy somehow tears chunks out of actual sales, rather than mostly being stuff the pirate would never have bought anyway. I can respect that view, even if I disagree. That combined with the brick code that did hurt "legitimate" consumers - patch or no patch, this isn't some Lumiose City save softlock, this is a bricked system. Gateway are nothing more than fences of the digital era.

For any lurkers, ignore Gateway. Pick up a proper CFW installation, ignore the apologists, and use NTR if you want hotpatching, cheats, N3DS video streaming, and all the goodies. There's a multitude of good reasons why it's "hip to hate on Gateway"
You could compare it to hating on feminism, except that Gateway was at one point the best solution for first-adopters, amoral or no.
If this was directed at me, you completely missed what I was talking about. I don't care if you prefer CFW over Gateway, I use both, myself. The fact of the matter is these people are complaining about a name literally because it's Gateway that's the offender. It's pointless, and I'm growing rather tired of it. That's why I said what I did. But hey, at least there's one thing you've proven, and it's that your expository writing skills are no joke.

Reactions: Aroth

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country

FYI at first they blocked the counterfeits, but the cloners found ways to bypass that, so they went for extreme measures, they warned people to not use the clones with their launcher, and they bricked the clones, and 2 legit customers(wow so many and 1 tampered the launcher for making classic mode region free), as i said, they have the right to do what they want with their code, they apologize and fixed 1 of the legit 3ds, the second one was lost in the mail and replaced by 2 gateway(i would be pissed but that was like 130 dollars worth) , and for the people that think that they should apologize to the people that used the clones, they are not thinking straight, the cloners should apologize to the people because even though gateway warned them, they still presented a new version with the brick code inside, and bricked their customers systems. If gateway didnt warned them, i would be pissed too, but the warning came and death rained from the sky. Its ok to brick other peoples 3ds? hell no, but you blame gateway and not the cloners, the cloners were the ones that really damaged their customers

I really think that people dont know what really happened and how it was developed, and i say that if you have a gateway or want cheats and .3ds support just get it, if you dont mind using ntr cheats that really is a poor comparison, use cfw and be happy, or use both and be very happy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ :creep: