Is dual FW possible ?

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

We (my daughter) are using SX OS 3.1.0 with FW 11.0.0. She's got a couple of usd cards with her favorites games so she switches cards from time to time. The games are xci files (or xci files embedding updates & dlcs aka superxci files).

SX OS does not seem to have been updated in ages and most likely will never be anymore, am I correct ?

Would it be possible to install some sort of dual boot with one system running SX OS & FW 11.0.0 and another system (Atmosphere ?) running an up to date fw (13.1.0) and be able to swicth from one to the other easily ?

I am not sure Atmosphere would be as easy as SX OS to run games (not sure if one needs to install games from nsp or xci files or if xci files can be run directly). I don't want my daughter to go through the trouble of installing stuff as she is even more likely than me to f*ck things up.

Thanks.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

We (my daughter) are using SX OS 3.1.0 with FW 11.0.0. She's got a couple of usd cards with her favorites games so she switches cards from time to time. The games are xci files (or xci files embedding updates & dlcs aka superxci files).

SX OS does not seem to have been updated in ages and most likely will never be anymore, am I correct ?

Would it be possible to install some sort of dual boot with one system running SX OS & FW 11.0.0 and another system (Atmosphere ?) running an up to date fw (13.1.0) and be able to swicth from one to the other easily ?

I am not sure Atmosphere would be as easy as SX OS to run games (not sure if one needs to install games from nsp or xci files or if xci files can be run directly). I don't want my daughter to go through the trouble of installing stuff as she is even more likely than me to f*ck things up.

Thanks.
If you have an Erista there are plenty of guides out there you can follow (not a "migrate to Atmosphere" one but they still hold relevant info on how to boot Hekate). If you have a Mariko it gets slightly more complicated but it can also be accomplished.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
Your best bet is to forget sxos. you need latest fw for newer stuff and you cant always circunvent that.

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is Atmosphere capable of running xci files just like SX OS was ?
You would have to install them first with something like TinWoo, but after that's done they'll work fine. Going forward, it's supposed to be better to use the nsp format over xci, but both will work.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks.
Considering you already do this, it might be a good option to have a separate SD Card with Atmosphere on it.

Atmosphere is only as difficult to install games onto it as you let it be. A good option to make it simple is to use is installing Tinfoil and using one of the many repos you can find from a little Googling. We can't say them here due to piracy rules but it's not difficult to find. If you find one Discord server for them, they usually link to the others in there too.

Reactions: tatumanu

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
setup emunand on both cards, 1 card uses sx os with fw 11 emunand and 1 card uses atmosphere with 13.1 emunand
I think it's better to just have one bigger card to avoid having to swap them all the time. Plus, there's really no reason to keep on using SX OS anymore.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
I dont understand why people like xci so much. You also need to install updates or at least rebuild the xci to have the newer updates. Is this easier than install the base game?

Also newer xci may become unbootable, as you cant always ignore required fw to launch.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While it's true you should consider a new CFW for your daily driver, you can have both. Any posts telling you to ditch SXOS is because they jaded and are not aware how great and convenient USB loading is, What you're looking for is EmuNAND. I wrote a guide to having 2 on the same SD. You can even shrink them. People telling you to abandon SX are missing the point

EmuNANDs (aka EmuMMC) are a copy of the internal chip. While using a EmuNAND your internal chip is not used and the system thinks the SD is the internal chip. You can have separate firmware. Standard method is 1 EmuNAND on a SD in a hidden partition. There are file based EmuNANDS but they are well know to corrupt. Hidden partitons do not corrupt. You could have different FW on them. You could just set up a seperate SD for SXOS. Beware, the sd slot is garbage and tends to break.

My tutorial runs through how to have 2 Hidden Partition EmuNANDS on the same card. You can shrink the SXOS one if you like. I consider SXOS for loading XCI OFF OF USB DRIVES ONLY. For everything else you can use Atmosphere. Only about 10 games don't work as a XCI on USB at the moment so it is still a great solution for easy to use hot swappable storage.

XCI can be installed in the same manner as NSP in atmosphere but you will lose USB loading if you move to a strictly Atmosphere setup.

I am willing to help you if you want. PM me. We will post the resolution here to help future tempers but there is too many SXOS haters.

Even when SXOS was new and being updated they still tried to get you to switch like poorly programmed robots. They do this with lies and half truths. Like you see above. It's really sad. It's like the SXOS team stole their GF, spanked them and took away their birthday.

YOU CAN HAVE BOTH!

The choice is yours.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...en-partitions-on-the-same-sd-tutorial.601607/

Last edited by mikefor20,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont understand why people like xci so much. You also need to install updates or at least rebuild the xci to have the newer updates. Is this easier than install the base game?

Also newer xci may become unbootable, as you cant always ignore required fw to launch.
Updates are typically small, you have to do the same on Atmosphere anyway and you cant have a 5TB SD. You can have a 5TB HDD for $70. I don't understand why you say things like SXOS is useless. over 3000 games run perfectly on it and like 10 don't at the moment. Putting up posts about ditching it when you don't even use it is stupid. You're not helping.

Your NSP become unbootable without updates too. WTF?

Reactions: Aglae Pheryl

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not an sxos hater. It's just a matter of time and it's getting hard and harder to maintain an old cfw active in my opinion. Of course if you use an hdd, with a bunch of xci, just setup an old emunand with an old sxos. And update real nand to latest + atmosphere.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not an sxos hater. It's just a matter of time and it's getting hard and harder to maintain an old cfw active in my opinion. Of course if you use an hdd, with a bunch of xci, just setup an old emunand with an old sxos. And update real nand to latest + atmosphere.

Anyone using SX OS is using a hard drive pretty much. That's the whole reason. And you should probably think about using atmosphere with emunand. There have been bricking NSP floating around before. EmuNAND adds a layer production. And updating your system now and is not necessarily a good idea either depending on your setup. You can lose access to things like Pega switch and fake news.

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
setup emunand on both cards, 1 card uses sx os with fw 11 emunand and 1 card uses atmosphere with 13.1 emunand
I had tried something like this in the past but I had to roll back as SX OS was not working anymore when I switched back from the usd I had setup in a higher FW. Are you sure you can use 2 different usd card with a higher firmware on Atmosphere and a lower one for SX OS ?

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
I had tried something like this in the past but I had to roll back as SX OS was not working anymore when I switched back from the usd I had setup in a higher FW. Are you sure you can use 2 different usd card with a higher firmware on Atmosphere and a lower one for SX OS ?
if your sys nand is 11.0 or lower there should be no problem loading sx os emunand 11.0 on 1 microsd card and atmosphere emunand 13.1 on another microsd

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sxos's only pro is that it can run most games off a hdd as opposed to installing them. but the cons far out weigh the pros.. enjoy your self banned switch I guess. you cant sit there and play 3000 games, a 1tb sd with atmosphere is more than large enough for all the decent games on switch, and you can keep your online capabilities intact.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your sys nand is 11.0 or lower there should be no problem loading sx os emunand 11.0 on 1 microsd card and atmosphere emunand 13.1 on another microsd
It'll work Having an EmuNAND is a great way to ensure that if anything does go wrong on to your system that you can fix it. I fact EmuNAND works even without the internal chip! Hidden partition Emunands are stable but fole based tend to corrupt.

sxos's only pro is that it can run most games off a hdd as opposed to installing them. but the cons far out weigh the pros.. enjoy your self banned switch I guess. you cant sit there and play 3000 games, a 1tb sd with atmosphere is more than large enough for all the decent games on switch, and you can keep your online capabilities intact.

This is more misinformation. As ususal. You can't go online with any non-legit games on atmosphere either. You'll get banned. The simple act of using SXOS WON'T get a ban if you run it in EmuNAND OFFLINE. Just don't go online or use a method to block ninty servers.

I run SXOS/Atmo offline With 2 hidden partition Emunands (11.0 SHRUNKEN /CURRENT) on one SD. Legit EmuNAND in Atmosphere on Nintendo online with atmosphere (no sig patches either) and a 3rd SD with Lakka/android/ubuntu. The kids have their own SD as well with their own Emunands
Essentially their own console.

SYSNAND IS ON 4.1 WITH FAKENEWS.

USB loading is awesome. No small pro.

Doing this setup for years. NO BANS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool