Is anyone playing the FFXIV:ARR Beta?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Games & Content' started by T-hug, Jun 23, 2013.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    I just got into the PS3 beta and wondered if any other tempers are playing it?
    Add me on PSN for some jolly coop!

2. Shadowlurker

Shadowlurker GBAtemp Regular

Feb 11, 2009
    I am, and absolutely love it. The only downsides to it so far it the amount of characters on screen and the fact it's currently only on weekends... but everything else is Amazing!

3. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    I'm playing the PC version. Isn't it supposed to be cross-format or is that only after the beta stage?

4. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    i am in it
    play on the ps3 version

IGN:
    Ryu Power
    level 15 archer on gilgamesh

PSN:RyuPower

it really my 1st MMO i have been playing, i thing i am going to get it

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I'm a level 6 healing character (accidentally, I didn't know what the classes were. I wanted the dark mage thing but didn't feel like creating the char again) on Adamantoise, but I prefer PSO2 so far. Also, because FFXIV is pay to play I'm hesitant to put much time in it, considering I'll lose it all when the beta ends unless I feel like paying.

6. Sora de Eclaune

Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    I'm playing on the Excalibur server. Does anyone know how to turn off the chat window? I can't find any option relating to it, and I'd like it to go away because I'm not using it and it's actually overlapping the hotbar.

I have tried:
    1. Going into the UI Layout settings. This doesn't have a section for the chat window.
    2. Going into the general settings. This doesn't have a section for the chat.
    3. Going into the game settings. This doesn't have a 'close chat window' option in the chat section.
    4. Moving the hotbar over. It's as far to the other side of the screen as the game will let me put it, and it's still overlapped by the chat.
    5. Changing the text size of the chat to something smaller. The only other text size option was bigger.
    6. Changing the chat so that it doesn't display anything. The window itself is still there, which is annoying.

7. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Empty

Apr 19, 2010
    Greece
    I am playing on the Titan Server (Japan) Everything is running smoothly! >.>
    Level 5 Lancer :P PC and PS3 :D

8. Xuphor

Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    I think it's cross-playable even in beta.
    Not entirely sure, but maybe 95% sure.

9. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Empty

Apr 19, 2010
    Greece
    Yeah it is tried it myself :P

10. IBNobody

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High
    I was playing the PC beta on my neighbor's account. (He was playing on the same server using the PS3 beta.) It got me interested enough to preorder it for the PC using a Greenman Gaming 25% off sale. ($22.50) I don't know how long I'd stick with the game, though.

It kinda felt like a dated version of WoW, with some of the good and bad areas of FF11 mixed in. (One character playing all classes? Yes! Chance of failure while crafting? Bleh!)

As far as combat... I played a mage-type and liked how fast that class was able to regain mana with a beginner ability. I did NOT like how close I had to be to the enemy, though. It was way too toe-to-toe for someone who was used to being a ranged glass cannon. I couldn't tell how much of the game you were allowed to solo, and I did see that people were complaining about not being able to find a tank or a healer for a key quest related dungeon. Finally, I didn't find out if you had to run to a zone exit to drop aggro.

So.... I don't know.... It was worth the $22.50 for a month, but I don't know if I'll go farther.

11. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Im playing on pc aswell, but it is cross format yes. Seems to be quite good. Also so you guys know if you are in beta, in a couple of weeks you can start playing and they will not wipe your char(unless they find a game breaking bug, then they will)

12. IBNobody

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High
    I just wanted to alter my comment...

After more time in the beta, my original complaints were because of the default PC mouse/keyboard settings.

The default PC setting makes you walk backward slowly when pressing the "s" key. You can tweak the settings so that you RUN TOWARD THE CAMERA instead. This makes kiting a breeze. The downside is that mobs retreat if they get a fixed distance away from their starting point, regardless of how often you hit them. You can still kite them in circles.

The game seems worth playing.