ipod touch 4g restore questions

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by weatMod, Feb 19, 2014.

1. weatMod
    OP

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    ok so i acquired a broken ipod touch 4g wiith IOS 6.2 i think , it had a broken screen
    i just got through replacing the screen/digitizer but have not glued it yet,
    it would not turn on, after i put it on the charger it did power on for a split second and i saw the red battery low symbol for a split second but then it turned off (this was before i put the screws back in for the mid plate and camera
    i couldnt get it to power on again before i replaced the screws , just that one time, then after it wont power on either ,
    so i am guessing i need to use itunes to restore it

but willl restoring update the OS to IOS 7 ? i really hate IOS 7 and plus i plan on using evasion , an di think the latest IOS 7 version does not work with the latest version,
    i am a total noo when it comes to IOS what should i do?

by the way i think it was unplugged and maybe on for weeks so maybe thw battery is just really dead? or maybe it needs to be restored, i have no idea , but it is weird that it powered on for that split second and i saw thw battery low symbol , i mean if it needed to be restored would i have seen that?
    also i am guessing it is too late to back up any data on it before i restore it, i HATE itunes i NEVER use it , not really fan of IOS either, ,i only got it cause it was a free ipod touch and the screen was like $15

2. basher11

basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    The iPod touch 4g only goes up to 6.1.5.

3. weatMod
    OP

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    so what happens if i restore it with itunes? will it update to the latest version of IOS? for the device i mean, or is there an option to restore it without updating IOS , and maybe and option to backup the data before it restores it?

also i have itunes 10 not sure if i need to update itunes to work with a 4th gen ipod touch, i would rather not update itunes if i dont have too i dont like any version of it but the newer versions i hate even more ,

4. basher11

basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    yes, it will go to the latest it can support. which is 6.1.5. if it keeps turning off i dont know how you can backup data from it.
    you can restore it to the same firmware if you have a (if i remember right) stitched firmware but in your case you dont have it so you're going to have to update it to the latest.

5. weatMod
    OP

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    are there any experts on replacing ipod touch 4g screens here that can help me?
    this is so frustrating i was extra careful replacing the screen , all cables seemed to go in fine , but then the device will not power on at all , it did briefly come on and show low battery on the screen for a split second but then back to black so the screen is fine , but now it wont do anything , itunes 11 for windows 64 bit will not recognize it, and even windows 7 wont recognize it now, noting happens when i plug in the USB
    already tesed other ipods with the same cable computer and they get detected
    and i tested it before i screwed in the mid plate and windows recognized it, i tried DFU mode and restore mode nothing worked just black screen it dont charge or get detected by windows or itunes, but after i replaced the screen it got detected by windows and it did show the low batter for a split second after replacing the screen when i put it on the charger , but i did have to disconnect the lcd cable after that , to replace a screw next to the lcd connector
    i read some troubleshooting tutorials that say to try shorting the battery to ground , but it only works if the battery has a charge and i think the batter is dead and not charging , besides id like to try that one last anyone else have any other advice?