Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi,

I have an iPhone 3G running 3.1.3.

When 4.1 was available, I updated it and tested GPS right away (without WiFi!). It worked perfectly! It was very very accurate. Because there is still no decent jailbreak for 4.1, I downgraded again to 3.1.3. I tested GPS again (with WiFi because without it doesn't work), and it was off by 2 - 3 km (around 1.5 miles).

GPS Status (the app) reported "Good fix" on 4.1 and "Bad fix" on 3.1.3 at the exact same spot (my room). Okay, I know this is indoors, but why does 4.1 get a good fix and 3.1.3 don't?

It's not because it's jailbroken, because I tested it before I jailbroke.

I will now try 3.1.2. See if that helps. 4.0(.1) is not an option, because it's too slow.

Hoping for help
smile.gif

Edit:
Forgot to mention that on 3.1.3 Navigon/TomTom doesn't work at all (no GPS fix). Didn't test on 4.1 though.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know what might be causing the problems but my Dad always had problems with his 3Gs on 3.1.3 but all was fixed when 4.0 came out, and it worked on 3.1.2 aswell

MrDiesel

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I downgraded to 3.1.2 and GPS Status is still reporting "Bad Fix", but the horizontal accuracy is now 500M instead of 2000M with 3.1.3. It's also a bit more accurate on Google Maps now (the right street) + it works without WiFi. I can live with this until there's a jailbreak for 4.1
smile.gif

Thanks for the advice

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
No reason for it to run any slower than 4.1 unless you have multi-tasking hacktivated. You can tweak that using backgrounder so 90% of your apps don't multitask but radio apps etc. do use it as they do things in the background.

MrDiesel

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
4.0.1 doesn't run that much slower than 4.1 indeed. Even with multitasking I find it running quite good (disabled Spotlight). The GPS is worse now, lol... It's off by 15 miles. Before I downgraded to 4.0.1, I was on 4.1 where it was at the same spot as now (15 miles off)... I'll try another time when outside, probably because it uses trangulation now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl: +1