OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hello there!

Lately I'm looking a lot at the new games coming on iphones and such... and I'm quite impressed by the overall quality of the device... specially the iPad, games on it are very sexy!

I played a bit of the Plants vs zombies on a Demo iPad in a store and... wow... was awesome... I mean I beaten the game so bad on PC, but playing it from the iPad was pretty neat, I really loved the touch controls...

So then I'm looking at other games and really a lot have high production values.... Infinity blade, Eternal legacy, Rage, Asphalt, street fighters,Dungeon hunters, GTA, Nova, Resident Evil... and I'm a huge fan of Tower Defence games... god knows how many of those there are haha

Still am considering it... I'm not much of a home console guy... I like pick-up-and-play games... arcade ones... I dont have time for lengthy slow paced games. I have a DS for portability... a Caanoo for old school emulation of good old arcade games... now thinking of iPad for new games.

Sure an xbox360 is like 300$... add to that 50-80$ a game... I buy 3 games and I'm already at the price of an iPad... which most games are below 10$ (thats if I dont decide to jailbreak the ipad for free games)

I dont think I'll really do internet on the ipad... I got a computer desktop for that... probably watch movies on it would be cool... but otherwise I have no idea what the ipad can do (in before "blend")... not even sure if I'll be interested in something else in it...

I have the opportunity to get myself the iPad 64GB wifi (not 3G) for 600$ all equip (with keyboard attch. protect screen, purse, sleeve, and what not)... and thats 600$... sounds good to me...

What people think of this?

iPad is good, great for gaming? any other cool things on the ipad beside games, movies and internet?

Thanks!

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have and iPad in fact I'm on it right now. it's ok for gaming, I prefer a good d-pad to touch screen and tilt controls any day.

SilentGhost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The controls are much larger so its much easy to press something small(like a URL) on it. I would definitely do that myself. Just try to keep as much memory clean so it runs fast.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For gaming, I've learned that a PC is your best bet. It can out-preform any console to date, and has tons of epic games on it, plus, you can play all your favorite old games through emulators, and you can even get an old NES or SNES controller-to-USB : http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?c...;products_id=32
biggrin.gif

A good PC is: Internet, DVD player, Game Station, even phone calls.

Good gaming laptop + Torrents + Steam = Win!

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wait, don't go and buy an expensive iPad when you can get an Android based device for less. I've got a 10" Android 2.1 device (ordered direct from China during the summer). There are plenty of games and apps for Android that you would probably like (a lot that came over from iphone/pod/pad). Popcap games is bringing their games over to Android this year also.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd say hold off on the iPad purchase. Apple's expected to make a new iPad announcement soon.
wink.gif

Otherwise... I've thoroughly enjoyed playing on the iPad. (My favorites include Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and Infinity Blade.)

Slave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm aware about the upcoming iPad... reason why i'm interested... prices on the "G1" ipad will drop... hopefully... and anyway... ipad G2 will have what? slimmer... camera... multitask? :-P

BloodyFlame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slave said:
I'm aware about the upcoming iPad... reason why i'm interested... prices on the "G1" ipad will drop... hopefully... and anyway... ipad G2 will have what? slimmer... camera... multitask? :-P

I think iPad already has multitasking with the recent update. 4.1.2, I think. But it currently cannot be jailbroken with perfect results. I do know the existence of redsn0w beta.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
I'd say hold off on the iPad purchase. Apple's expected to make a new iPad announcement soon.
wink.gif

Otherwise... I've thoroughly enjoyed playing on the iPad. (My favorites include Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and Infinity Blade.)

Oh yes they are fun games and I play all of them myself as well as street fighter 4 and others but I'd still prefer a d-pad.

iPad is cool and it can be fun but I don't think it's going to replace a good nintendo handheld anytime soon.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have an iPad too and I almost use it just for games. There are a lot of choices for sure but the prices for HD apps are kind of high compared to normal iPhone apps. The only real problem with an iPad is its price, along with the Apple tax. You pay for the brand, and you pay a lot for it. If you were to buy something for gaming, I'd say you should go for something made for that, like a ps3, xbox 360 or wii (if you consider the wii to be a real gaming console). Or, you can wait to see what Apple has in store for the iPad 2 (although it will still have the same apps). You can also get a computer, although if you want to play HD games, you'll have to put a lot of money into it (more than getting an iPad)

Slave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not much of a computer gamer anymore... just friggin' sick to have to upgrade for all games.... this game is not compatible with this video card, oh a new tech came out and you need a new hardware for the new cool game... blah blah blah...

I want somewhat portability... but a portable computer to run high end games... yeah cost an arm and a leg... alienware portables arent cheap.

I already have an xbox and wii... but I'm rarely home, and when I am I rarely have a lot of time for gaming in front of the TV. And like I said... most new games are just plain boring lengthy story and cinematic shit... (not all but most... heck I havent been exited for an xbox or wii game in years really... its all the same rehash and mainstream shit repackaged every time...) on the ipad otherwise, games are mostly indi, very original, pick up and play simple yet originals...

Like I mentioned I have a DS since it came out... but recently... meh... not much is coming out... feels like the DS is slowly dying because the 3DS is coming.

The place I have most gaming (ashamely and seriously) is on the shitter... then its during break time at work... so I never play for long periods, and I want portability to bring at work and pass time during my breaks...

I would also consider simply an iPod Touch... but... meh... very small screen... and I kinda have big hands, both my thumbs on the ipod covers about 50% of the already small screen... I wont see shit playing on an ipod touch. LOL

steves334

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haloman800 said:
For gaming, I've learned that a PC is your best bet. It can out-preform any console to date, and has tons of epic games on it, plus, you can play all your favorite old games through emulators, and you can even get an old NES or SNES controller-to-USB : http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?c...;products_id=32
biggrin.gif

A good PC is: Internet, DVD player, Game Station, even phone calls.

Good gaming laptop + Torrents + Steam = Win!

^^ I nominate this for one of the gayest posts ever!!!!!!!! what does pc gaming, emulators and snes>usb dongle adapters have to do with ipad. he's deciding if he wants to buy one. he dont care how much u like emulators and torrents and pirating warez. he likes touch pads and stuff. he hates pc games so dont tell him its his best bet cuz he hates them. he dont care if it out performs ipad because ipad is what he wants cuz he hates pc games. he dont even have time for that shiz. so screw all the old games cuz he wants new games with touch screen and motion sensing. he dont need no usb snes dongle adapter. u retarded or something?

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Didn't see the part about pick up and play games
tongue.gif

In that case, an iPad would be good for the apps, but it's still pricey... an iPod touch would be a little better considering it's portability (despite the fact that it is a bit too small)

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you're interested in the iPad, there really aren't many other devices I could tell you of to persuade you otherwise. Maybe a few Android tablets but if you aren't interested in Android then it's really a choice between say the iPad and the iPod Touch. Obviously the iPod's for portability and the iPad's for home use. Personally, I would wait for the second generation. Even if you aren't interested in the next generation, the current generation's price will drop.

Slave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well... it not that I'm sold to the ipad's idea... sure... pricey... but I was only wondering if anyone has an ipad... if it's good for gaming... what other good games there is... if on the contrary it's not really good for gaming, if the overall quality isnt good... if there's a super incredible use for the ipad other for gamin, internet and movies that I am not aware of... I'm just checking peoples opinion about the ipad as a gaming device... pros and cons...

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
There is almost none games for true gamers on IOS devices. Bunch of casualshits, movie-games, and and very cheap spin-offs, like AC - Discovery. Even GameBoy liblary make ipad look pale.

squall23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, there are only 2 games worth playing on an ipad. Infinity Blade and Jubeat.

While yes, Infinity Blade is both an iphone and ipad game, I find it to be more fun on the ipad. Jubeat Plus however is one of the only (if not the only) ipad exclusive games out there. Other than those, pretty much any game you can play on an ipad you might as well play on an iphone if you have one.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
AlsoYou should look at getting need for speed as well and maybe some smaller games like stair dismount etc, also if you jailbreak you should limit the amount of theming and tweaks you use

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slave said:
Well... it not that I'm sold to the ipad's idea... sure... pricey... but I was only wondering if anyone has an ipad... if it's good for gaming... what other good games there is... if on the contrary it's not really good for gaming, if the overall quality isnt good... if there's a super incredible use for the ipad other for gamin, internet and movies that I am not aware of... I'm just checking peoples opinion about the ipad as a gaming device... pros and cons...
It's going to be really hard for anyone to say if it's good for gaming, especially on GBAtemp. What it really boils down to is the library of games. The games on the iPad are mostly casual games, games that you can play for 5 minutes. However, personally, the form factor does not appeal to these types of games. It's generally meant for home use due to the 10 inch screen. If that's okay with you, fine, go with it. I would guess that the reason you haven't looked at the iPod is because of the screen size or some related issue, but my advice would be to at least try it out. The pocketable form factor makes it ideal for quickly getting in a game of Angry Birds or something like that.

If possible, you could even look at some 7 inch Android tablets, though there really are few on the market now that are of good quality. To me the Archos 70 is the best value for money Android tablet out there right now, but soon there will be a lot more. But like I said, look at the library of games first before anything else. The Android marketplace doesn't have some of the great games that the App Store has like Plants vs Zombies, but it's growing.

BTW, I really think that Infinity Blade is just another bland, boring, graphics whore of a game with no substance. Very boring.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc