1. Zaphod77

OP Zaphod77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    3ds.guide still has you remove the sdcard after you install BS( to put luma on.

I have a Ace3ds-X card.

Is there a way to make it so that i do not have to taek out the 3ds sdcard at all?

have it run the installer from the flashcat instead of from boot.firm on the 3ds sdcard.

ideally i want to put it in, use the magner, enter the installer, check space on main sdcard, if there's enough back up firmware install bs9, copy luma (11.8 compatible) to ctrnand and sdcard, and install homebrew launcher into rosalina, and install other CIAs of my choice (like FBi)

i'd like to be able to fully hack an dinstall cfw with JUST the ds cart, and no access to the orignal systems sdcard.

is that doable?

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
  3. Zaphod77

United States
    could have sword that there were special tricks to include files on the ds cart that would get copied over to the 3ds.

then is there a way to amke a safebs9installer that replaces itself with luma after it installs?

so the procedure is reduced to

1) extract a single archive to the root of the 3ds sdcard with paths.
    2) put it back in
    3) add magnet
    4) boot safebs9 installer
    5) backup nand
    6) install bs9
    7) swap in luma without removing sdcard (this is the biggie)
    8) remove ds cart
    9) continue setting things up form here (install CIAs, configure stuff, etc)

i think a simple special chainloader could be made as boot.firm

when booted from ntrboot, it will run safebs9installer
    when booted from bs9, it will run godmode9 instead. it can then run a script to swap in luma and clean up.

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Ain't gonna work, you need the file on both items to enter the B9S installation screen if you were using a flash cart, why don't you use other methods such as Frogminer or the Fredminer?

5. Zaphod77

United States
    pretty sure it's theoretically possible.

i know one method already exists. there's a build of ntrboot that loads ntr_boot.firm from sdcard instead of boot.firm. but i doubt i can flash that to my cart.

this way, you have boot.firm as godmod9, and ntr_boot.firm as safebs9installer.

and the godmode9 script you run can delete both .firms and drop in luma.firm.

another way to do it would be using a hotkey based chainloader as boot.firm. the challenge, then is amking sure that it loads safebs9installer when you are holding the ntrboto hotkey, but loads godmde9 when you are not.

6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Well you are just renaming ntr_boot.firm to boot.firm, if you have no SD card you still can't boot into the installation screen, just do the other method if you don't want to get another micro SD, even a 4GB micro SD would work for this installation if you had extra lying around.

7. Zaphod77

United States
    i know how to follow the darn guide. :)

i was just wondering if there was some trick to have the install files on the ds cart instead of the 3ds sdcard, so stuff coudl be copied on AFTER ntr booting wihout pulling it off.

if not it seems that inscripted One and Done is what i need.

i finally found it (it includes illegal files like the secret sector, which is why it's not on here)

i copy configuration files (sighax) to a new directory, then copy one and done over it.

i then have a ntrboot one and done directory. i then simply copy it onto the sdcard, then use ntrboot to run it.

Shove and Shift also exists. this one has you pull the old card, put in the shove and shift card and ntrboot ds card, then swap cards back when it tells you to. this is the pc less install.

but since the ace3ds ntrboot variant only boots if the ds has an sdcard, i figured there might be some way to access IT's filesystem and make something like shove and shift bu the files are on the ds card and somehow loaded from it.

the objective isn't to avoid getting a bigger sdcard. the objective here is to minimize the number of times the sdcard needs to be removed, stuffed into a pc, files copied, moved back to the 3ds, removed again, put back in the PC,more files copied, moved BACK to the 3ds.

the current guide requires pulling the sdcard TWICE. it most likely does so because you have to pull it a second time to move the nand backup to PC. instead, i want the nand bakcup on the sdcard, and it's then up to the person i hacked it for to either delete or backup to HIS/HER pc, and not have to put it into mine twice.

Last edited by Zaphod77, Mar 4, 2019
  8. Dani Dandelion

Dani Dandelion Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I remove/reinsert sd cards from my 3DSes and flashcarts all the time to move files... is it that big a deal?

9. sks316

sks316 Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness remaster activist

United States
    1. Please fix your broken English and use proper capitalization. It's hard to understand you when your words are hopelessly broken like that.
    2. If it were possible to do the guide without removing the SD card, I'm sure we'd know. That's to say, it's not possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Install, without, pulling