[Info] Help a Newb XD

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Deneviel, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Deneviel
    OP

Deneviel Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2015
    Italy
    Montella
    Hi guys, prob this question has been already made 2000 times but going through all the post here it's almost impossible.

So .... long story short:

I'm the owner of a Old 3ds-XL with FW 9.2.0-20E

What i would like to know:

Is there is a way to play *.cia or backup file without Cubic Ninja or a 3ds Flash card ?

My 3DS atm it's clean nothing installed, apart from some Eshop game, Youtube, Pokemon update and some some old Eshop Game

2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Since you're on 9.2, look into getting a CFW like Rxtools or Cakes, and if you want the convenience of autobooting right into it, look into installing themehax. You don't need anything aside from Youtube or the browser to hack an old 3DS on 9.2. I'm sort of surprised there's no tutorial for the old 3DS in the tutorial section..but anyway, you can find browserhax here: http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php, or if you want to use Youtube instead for some reason, you can go here: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

Once you have the HB launcher up and running, get https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax/releases if you want to be able to run things when you power up your 3DS.

WeedZ likes this.
  3. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    You can install a CFW (seeing you are on an O3DS I would recommend RXTools) to install .cia files. You can use this guide to install RXtools.
    To use your backup files, you need to convert them to .cia first, afaik only Gateway support .3ds at the moment. See here to do that.

Last edited by TheKawaiiDesu, Oct 15, 2015
  4. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    @daxtsu you are on a roll tonight, being all helpfull and shit.

@Deneviel, daxtsu's setup with theme hax is your best bet. Youll want to download the latest gateway launcher and use the web browser to launch it. Then select format emunand. Be sure to backup your sd before hand as it will delete everything on your sd.

Grab a copy of the homebrew browser, bigbluebox (first link if you google), themehax installer, and the 3dsx version of fbi.

Then install and launch rxtools. This will boot into your emunand. Launch the homebrew browser load fbi then install bigbluebox. Then run the themehax installer.

Then get the rxtools boot.3dsx and replace the homebrew browser one on the sd root. This way, when you power on the 3ds it will automatically load into emunand where you can install and run any cia you want.

5. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    FW 9.2.0-20 is the best for a cfw 3ds in my opinion
    to play *.cias without Cubic Ninja or a 3ds Flash card use the guide linked by @TheKawaiiDesu (if you get stuck the op samima144 or i will help you there) then you will be good to go
    . . .
    to be "golden"
    my advice to you is to also do as @daxtsu suggest and install themehax(homemenuhax) to allow your system to load up cfw when you power it on letting you get to gaming quicker:yaynds:

Last edited by wormdood, Oct 15, 2015
  6. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    basically listen to everyone but me :glare:

7. Deneviel
    OP

Deneviel Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2015
    Italy
    Montella
    Well tnx guys ... didn't know there where so many option.

As far as I can understand all of u are pretty much suggesting to install RXTools in a way or another.

And then it's my choise if i want or not to install that other hack in order to be able to run it faster and with no internet.

I'm right?

Just 2 more question:

1) There is some risk to brick the console since u mess up with the sysNAND?
    2) Is a 4GB SD card enough for the emuNAND and 1 backup?

8. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    lol sorry not trying to be rude its just i personally have not ever saw a 3ds cfw install described in such a . . ."simplistic" way i don't think its a good idea to simply tell someone how to do it in such a short way . . . i mean if he screws something up its up to him to get it working again. this might be difficult without a proper guide explaining the importance of each step in the process. and all of the files the op needs for his cfw install he can get there no need to google (well except for slotkey)
    further more if he followed the guide in the link he would end up with fbi (.cia installer) installed so would not necessarily need bigbluebox (.cia installer) and i did not want to confuse him/her any more than my bad grammar and punctuation already does.

WeedZ likes this.
  9. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    I've had no issues. But it wouldnt hurt to make a nand backup with that gateway launcher while you have it running. Worse case senario you could hardmod.

And 4 gigs might hold a game or two. I highly suggest getting a bigger card.

Fair enough. He did say 'help a noob'.

Last edited by WeedZ, Oct 15, 2015
    wormdood likes this.
  10. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    im not gonna lie whenever installing/deleating anything to systemnand there is a risk (the risk gets smaller as you learn about 3ds nands , firmware files and other .cias) because most of the time its because the 3ds owner did something wrong this is the reason you make a emunand (emulated nand) so you can fuck up there and its no big deal
    the "second hack" ie theamhax(homemenuhax)/ninjhax2/tubehax/ironhax/smasshax/webhax (all the same just different ways to load it) is more a low level one and can't access enough of your system to cause a brick
    most good games are around 1 gig or more . . . so yes get a bigger sd or microsd. i have a 16gb and have around 20 games on it and that feels tiny to me . . . "good old ds lite days got me spoiled:("
    edit: and yes that's what we are saying rxtools[Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS) (for your request) then (if you want) themehax RXtools CFW coldboot full installation guide for New3DS, from Browserhax & Homemenuhax to Rxtools (works on all 3ds/2ds/n3ds models) to maximize "ease of use"
    2nd edit: added links

Last edited by wormdood, Oct 15, 2015