Improving Wii games Graphics on WiiU?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by NISMO_GTR, Nov 18, 2013.

1. NISMO_GTR
    OP

NISMO_GTR Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2008
    Belgium
    Hi all,

Its been a while since I last logged in anyways I am thinking about about selling my wii and upgrading to a wiiu. I have heard how bad the wii games look running through vwii channel but since its been hacked and some clever guys managed to get all 3 cores running in vwii, so I was wondering if anyone manged to get true 1080p wii games or atleast trying to.

2. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    I think your angle here is wrong , if your looking to get a wiiU .. do so for the wiiU games... keep your wii for wii games ,,, theres some upscaling done on the wii games ,, but really there just wii games... play em on a wii.

3. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    Nope, would probably involve having to reprogram every Wii game. Besides the Wii games don't look that bad on the v wii

4. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    It's "possible" that they could get them to run at 1080p, but that would likely mess with compatibility as to do that, they would have to begin using emulation to make it do something it wasn't originally allowed to do.

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Well they looked worse on my end (way more jagginess and artifacting) than when I play them on a regular Wii. The don't look as bad on the game pad though.

6. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    Should look better on the gamepad because it scales at a 1-1 scale, still the tv I use for the Wii u is only a 720p tv so some details are lost for me

7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Just need a y-cable for my hard drive, then I can run USB Loader GX and, well, yeah. I still think Wii games look better in 480p.

8. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    a wii does a good job for this ... hence my opening comment ... use a wiiu for wiiu games...

the_randomizer likes this.
  9. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013

lool gotta be the most stoooopidest thing ive heard. i got a wii and a wii u. i play my wii games through a usbloader on the wii u. (no need to keep changin which console your using) the wii u is capable of the things a wii is but with much more. so i dont get your logic to use only a normall wii with wii games ....... lol also what you basically saying is i.e if you like old retro games only play them on the console they originate from....... ddeeerrrrrrr

10. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Stopped reading.

And there's no way to get true 1080p Wii Games on WiiU. If you want that, then I recommend using a PC, but it'll just cost quite a bit. The Wii games are upscaled though, and they don't look that bad to be honest. Playing Skyward Sword on my TV through my WiiU, it looked just fine. Yeah you're gonna notice some jaggies and stuff, but it's to be expected.

If you're interested in playing Wii games in HD on a computer though, watch this (and watch in HD):

11. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    my comment was nuffin to do with the picture quality but just too clearly point out theres no need for 2 consolse when 1 of which does everything the other does

12. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 27, 2008
    I will point out one big difference for me personally:

For my original Wii, my new LED-TV have awful input lag using the component cables.

With the Wii U on HDMI I've got no input lag whatsoever...

13. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    And my comment towards you was the fact that you said "stooooooopid".

14. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    Stupid how so .... as they were commenting on the issues with the render of wii games on the wii U , hence i say play them on the wii ...

15. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2011
    Belgium
    If your tv is 1080p it has a resolution of 1920 * 1080 pixels. If it's 720p, it has a resolution of 1280 * 720 pixels
    So basically, if the games are designed for a 640 * 480 resolution, you will need some upscaling to fill the entire screen of your giant TV.

On the Wii, this upscaling is done by the television itself. Normal SD video signals like it get's from it's TV tuner don't contain enough detail for 1080p resolution either.

This video upscaling can take some time which causes the annoying delay when you are gaming. What you see on your TV was generated by the console a fraction of second earlier. So for the console it's like you are responding slow to what you see on your screen. Some tv sets have a special gaming mode that turns some of the filtering off to be able to show the picture on the screen faster.

In the Wiiu, the upscaling is done by the console itself. They probably use a solution that produces minimal delay as such would cause massive complains from users. It basically means they won't filter much either.

It's probably technically possible to reduce the wiiu video output to a lower resolution like 480p. After all, if the unit is connected to an older TV that doesn't support 1080p, it should work as well. Connecting a scart or analog video cable to your tv should force a lower resolution (480i) I am afraid.

This brings us to the question if a vwii game sent to the TV on the same resolution as a wii game still produces a worse picture? After all, you have to compare apples with apples. If the picture still is worse, it means that Ninty didn't care much about vwii mode. I don't think much can be done about it if that's the case.

16. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Jul 5, 2010
    Canada
    I always drop my resolution to 480p before I switch to vWii. It just looks better when I let my TV do the upscaling.