Im interested in wii hacking but...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Phreshmilk, Dec 19, 2010.

Dec 19, 2010
  1. Phreshmilk
    OP

Newcomer Phreshmilk Newbie

United States
    Well im afraid of bricking my wii.A friend of mine recently got his bricked and i dont want to have to get a new one.I wanted to have a little fun and play around with hacking but I really really dont want to make my wii into a huge red paperweight.Any tips?

2. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    if you read and follow the directions properly,than u should have no problems

3. Category

Member Category Trainee Romhacker

United Kingdom
    The most important thing (in my opinion) is to install BootMii & Priiloader, and get a NAND dump of your system in working order. Keep that NAND dump backed up in a few places, and you should always be able to restore your system back to working order.

4. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    click on modmii in my sig, it's the best and easiest tool/guide to use.....

5. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Most bricks happen either by not knowing what you're doing, or following outdated guides. My advice is to keep things calm, read carefully, learn about how the wii and the exploits work and get familiar with the terms before actually doing something with your console. The sticky isn't stickied without reason. The link to the complete softmod guide is an important one. And when you finally decide to actually do something...there is modmii to help you.

I also strongly second Category's tip. bootmii is similar to a backup program for windows, so there is no reason NOT to get it. And if you have a red wii, you'll need to install priiloader as well before doing anything fancy (bootmii will make the backup...but in case things DO get out of hand, you'll need a way to access it).

6. SFenton

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States

I'm presuming that since your Wii is red it's the new Mario bundle. You'll only be able to install BootMii as IOS, which is still BootMii, it's just not the incredible safety net it is for earlier consoles. That said, I urge you to be very careful with Preloader; and, as always, make sure you absolutely know what you are doing before you do it.

Reading is fundamental.

7. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    You extend the life of your wii greatly by hacking it.
    It is reversible (Although tracable).
    Nintendo does take back bricked wii if its under warranty... Just say you dont know how hacked it got on...
    YOUR WII WONT BRICK IF YOU ARE NOT FOOLISH(and use modmii;)