Hacking [Idea] Gateway without two carts?

gudenau

Largely ignored
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Since the FPGA is upgradeable in the GW card. So we should be able to drop a copy of CN or OOT on it's sd card and it could load the rom for the normal firm. Later in the GW menu or the GW firm it could switch the card into it's 'rom mode'.

Anyone like this?

Reactions: Inaki

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Hehe... some days ago I thought _they_ ( GateWay themselves ) could possibly ( probably ) do that themselves with a FPGA update.

1. The GW cartridge starts in OOT or CN clone mode; that is, it acts as an original CN or OOT game cartridge ( including the gateway exploit fitted in its savegame slots ) and you can load it.
2. The FPGA in the GW cartridge waits for some "magic" request ( which could be any trigger like asking for an specific sector a given times in a row or something more hardcore like using some developer specific functionality... ).
3. When this "magic" trigger arrives, it simulates a cartridge swap and enters normal GW cartridge mode ( the mode we have all been seeing till now ).

Problems with this:

- Big issue or practical issue: the need for a way to update the cartridge FPGA. It would require an already exploited scenario ( old 3ds, original OOT or CN in new 3ds,... ). But, maaaybe, they already included a secret way of updating the FPGA by direct microSD read when the cartridge is inserted in any 3ds and just prowered on ( I mean, like in lots of devices, you put a "update.bin" in the microSD and it always checks for that file just after booting and being powered by the 3ds ).
- Legal issue and not that big: legal issue of including the original OOT or CN cartridge content ( maybe saveable by reading the rom file from the microSD card as it is done now for the backups. Maybe name it STARTUP.3DS or put it in another parition in the microSD or... whatever )
Does all this make sense guys/gals ?

freejak13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say it's possible but then part of gateway's featureset would include the sky3ds-like functionality of cart emulation. Not sure if gateway would be willing to 'copy' a competitor's features.

gudenau

Largely ignored
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Hehe... some days ago I thought _they_ ( GateWay themselves ) could possibly ( probably ) do that themselves with a FPGA update.

1. The GW cartridge starts in OOT or CN clone mode; that is, it acts as an original CN or OOT game cartridge ( including the gateway exploit fitted in its savegame slots ) and you can load it.
2. The FPGA in the GW cartridge waits for some "magic" request ( which could be any trigger like asking for an specific sector a given times in a row or something more hardcore like using some developer specific functionality... ).
3. When this "magic" trigger arrives, it simulates a cartridge swap and enters normal GW cartridge mode ( the mode we have all been seeing till now ).

Problems with this:

- Big issue or practical issue: the need for a way to update the cartridge FPGA. It would require an already exploited scenario ( old 3ds, original OOT or CN in new 3ds,... ). But, maaaybe, they already included a secret way of updating the FPGA by direct microSD read when the cartridge is inserted in any 3ds and just prowered on ( I mean, like in lots of devices, you put a "update.bin" in the microSD and it always checks for that file just after booting and being powered by the 3ds ).
- Legal issue and not that big: legal issue of including the original OOT or CN cartridge content ( maybe saveable by reading the rom file from the microSD card as it is done now for the backups. Maybe name it STARTUP.3DS or put it in another parition in the microSD or... whatever )
Does all this make sense guys/gals ?

You would need to have the game to get a copy. :-P (Right?)

I doubt this is possible.

Why not?

jimskeet2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Do you think that if it was possible gateway wouldn't have done it this way instead of releasing an exploit that requires additional hardware even if they said that there won't be any need of additional hardware?

Reactions: omegart

freejak13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think that if it was possible gateway wouldn't have done it this way instead of releasing an exploit that requires additional hardware even if they said that there won't be any need of additional hardware?

We have no idea why gateway does what it does but the fact is, there's a chip in the gw card that can be programmed to do the same thing a sky3ds can (minus the physical button). Gateway can theoretically be programmed to operate in two modes.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i was originally thinking they would go for something like this....im thinking this is what the huge delay was probably for (looking into it time), im sure they would of at least looked into the possibility, might just be that its not wired up in a way that can function as a retail cart....could also be that its going to take a while to get it ready and this is their cartless solution plan, but its taking longer than expected to get it all set up

gudenau

Largely ignored
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States

I think they are a little lazy.

because i doubt the gateway card has all the required bits n bobs to imitate a retail cart.

If it did, they'd probably have just been a sky instead of having all the emunand and what not from the start.

That is how it worked at first. :-/ Is it not?

i was originally thinking they would go for something like this....im thinking this is what the huge delay was probably for (looking into it time), im sure they would of at least looked into the possibility, might just be that its not wired up in a way that can function as a retail cart....could also be that its going to take a while to get it ready and this is their cartless solution plan, but its taking longer than expected to get it all set up

Thanks! You get how hard this can be.

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
jimskeet2002:

For me it would still be the logical step, I mean, they are working in something like this but, meanwhile and by now they give us the possibility to launch the GW mode by using a real OOT or CN cart. They keep working on having the GW cart simulate a real OOT or CN in the future but this step they have ( OOT and CN based exploit launching ) is needed. It is like a first milestone in their roadmap, the second milestone is getting rid of an original OOT or CN by adding the initial boot mode for their GW cart, the mode where the cart does raw reading of an OOT or CN rom from the microSD. There's that milestone 0 though, which they should have implemented in some previous firmware and the one that new GW carts should be shipping with from some time ago, the autonomous ( read: that does not require an exploit scenario ) update system where the cart detects, reads and applies an FPGA update from the microSD.

EDIT: It would make a lot of sense that they actually have that initial milestone 0 in place. For mass producing GW carts, it may be easier to have an autonomous update system than using some other method like SPI or something...

nollog:
because i doubt the gateway card has all the required bits n bobs to imitate a retail cart.

If it did, they'd probably have just been a sky instead of having all the emunand and what not from the start.

I don't see this being a reason, for them this "simulate initial original cart" mode is only a necessary step for their stuff afterwards. Also, I don't know the technical requirements and the limitations of their FPGA, but an IP for reading FAT32/exFAT seems way more complex and resource ( as in logic gates needed ) hungry than the 3ds cartridge protocol. I am speculating here and I may be wrong if there's cartridge-side crypto or others, but I doubt so.

gudenau

Largely ignored
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
For me it would still be the logical step, I mean, they are working in something like this but, meanwhile and by now they give us the possibility to launch the GW mode by using a real OOT or CN cart. They keep working on having the GW cart simulate a real OOT or CN in the future but this step they have ( OOT and CN based exploit launching ) is needed. It is like a first milestone in their roadmap, the second milestone is getting rid of an original OOT or CN by adding the initial boot mode for their GW cart, the mode where the cart does raw reading of an OOT or CN rom from the microSD. There's that milestone 0 though, which they should have implemented in some previous firmware and the one that new GW carts should be shipping with from some time ago, the autonomous ( read: that does not require an exploit scenario ) update system where the cart detects, reads and applies an FPGA update from the microSD.

EDIT: It would make a lot of sense that they actually have that initial milestone 0 in place. For mass producing GW carts, it may be easier to have an autonomous update system than using some other method like SPI or something...

I don't see this being a reason, for them this "simulate initial original cart" mode is only a necessary step for their stuff afterwards. Also, I don't know the technical requirements and the limitations of their FPGA, but an IP for reading FAT32/exFAT seems way more complex and resource ( as in logic gates needed ) hungry than the 3ds cartridge protocol. I am speculating here and I may be wrong if there's cartridge-side crypto or others, but I doubt so.

Yes fat32 eould be worse than raw io, but not by to much. Then of course the 3ds files that get dumped are still encrypted.

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes fat32 eould be worse than raw io, but not by to much. Then of course the 3ds files that get dumped are still encrypted.

so yeah, no cartridge-side crypto. I mean that doing the 3ds cart protocol, with the exception of the security handshake part ( which sky3ds knows, at least to a needed extent, although maybe not perfect ), is probably easier/smaller than reading files from the microSD and other things the GW FPGA does.

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
The FPGA update process. Look it up. ;-)

That milestone 0 I spoke about, the autonomous update process, would require file reading from the microSD ( which they already have for normal rom loading ) and working on its own. Maybe blinking the led while flashing and turning it on or off when finished, or changing color...

gudenau

Largely ignored
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
That milestone 0 I spoke about, the autonomous update process, would require file reading from the microSD ( which they already have for normal rom loading ) and working on its own. Maybe blinking the led while flashing and turning it on or off when finished, or changing color...
I feel that may not be possable... But you should have the retail cart in the first place.
I do not know that much about fpga though.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Maybe 6 months from now, maybe more given the time zone gateway are in (soon), they'll probably make a gateway plus or new gateway or something that does this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    +1
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't be that far off from it not like ds requires super hardware
    @K3Nv2 I did that using Citra for 3DS games. Bottom screen was my smartphone. Until I got the touch screen.
  • SwordShielder @ SwordShielder:
    Use a TV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Citra allows it already?
    Yes.
    Ken I have that sort of set up on Drastic on Pi for games that don't require touch
    Looks nice too
    Any TV with your PC connected with Citra and any smartphone to use as a screen using a free play store app.
    +1
    Gonna look into that when I get home
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Gonna look into that when I get home