[IDEA]arm9loaderhax boot without SD

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Salamencizer, May 1, 2016.

?

Is this possible?

1. Yes

50.9%
  2. No

18.2%
  3. What kind of questions are you asking noob

30.9%
  1. Salamencizer
    OP

Salamencizer Handsome Computer Nerd

Oct 3, 2015
    India
    Below
    So I was thinking, can we just use a SaltFW (SaltLite) payload to load arm9loaderhax without SD? Its size is super small, And it doesn't require any folder/firmware/etc for sigcheckpatching.
    Is this possible?

Last edited by Salamencizer, May 1, 2016
    TR_mahmutpek likes this.

2. cavolo

cavolo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2015
    France
    Personnaly I think its not really usefull, because all my games are on my sd card so....
    Only usefull if you sell your 3ds, but who sell his 3ds ? :'(

3. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    purr son who strap in for cash

4. Salamencizer
    OP

Oct 3, 2015
    India
    Below
    Yeah, that is true. But people get annoyed bout thier 3DS not booting without an SD Card, a possible excuse which they make to not install a9lh.

Last edited by Salamencizer, May 1, 2016
  5. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    What the fuck? Of course you can't boot an SD-Card without having the SD-Card, it's called not having an SD-Card.

I pwned U!, Ricken and WhoAmI? like this.
  6. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    Not having an SD card into your 3DS is simply nonsense. Specially since it comes with one included.

It could be good for some people, though. Altough, what's the use of a CFW in a 3DS without an SD card? Homebrew loaded through the browser? Are there that many of those?

7. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    This can also be useful in case the SD port breaks (because you're a brute :P), so the 3DS is still usable. Well, obviously you can't really do a lot of stuff with a broken SD port but at least you can do stuff...

8. Salamencizer
    OP

Oct 3, 2015
    India
    Below
    Oops, my badd. Its 3DS not booting wihout SD Card.

9. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    It seems so.

Altough, it would still be unusable for some people. Like me. I have all my 3DS games bought from the eShop (not a single 3DS game card).

10. VIERcntHOLZ
    This message by VIERcntHOLZ has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 1, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    May 1, 2016
  11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Unlike most other people in this thread I would really like for this to happen. Although there is not much reason not to have a SD card in the 3DS it just irks me that the console cannot function normally without specific hack files. At the very least the console should be able to boot like a regular unmodded 3DS when no SD card is inserted. Such a thing would be simple to do by simply triggering a FIRM launch using the FIRM binary from CTRNAND when no file is found on SD. Shouldn't take more than a few lines of extra code in the FIRM payload.

12. astronautlevel

astronautlevel But he's a guy

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    This is entirely possible, but it's somewhat of a pain.

First of all you need a way to read files off the NAND via arm9 - this definitely possible, but difficult when you consider the space limit of k9lh payloads.

You'd then need a payload that's small enough to fit in the NAND (smaller the better, mainly for DSiWare and stuff). In addition, it would need patches for FIRM write protection at the very least, and would need to be able to load firmware.bin from NAND. SaltFW works perfectly for this, as it is relatively lightweight and contains necessary patches. Another option would be Mizuki.

Like I said, it's possible but a pain. Most developers aren't going to be working on it given that it's relatively low priority as few people boot without an SD card. I would be looking into it if I had a hardmod, but since I don't I'm too afraid to brick :P

Last edited by astronautlevel, May 1, 2016
  13. hobbledehoy899
    This message by hobbledehoy899 has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 1, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    May 1, 2016
  14. VIERcntHOLZ
    This message by VIERcntHOLZ has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 1, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    May 1, 2016
  15. hobbledehoy899
    This message by hobbledehoy899 has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 1, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    May 1, 2016
  16. Salamencizer
    This message by Salamencizer has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 1, 2016, Reason: Language -rp.
    May 1, 2016
  17. astronautlevel
    This message by astronautlevel has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 1, 2016, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    May 1, 2016
  18. hobbledehoy899
    This message by hobbledehoy899 has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 1, 2016, Reason: Language -rp.
    May 1, 2016
  19. Salamencizer
    This message by Salamencizer has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 1, 2016, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    May 1, 2016
  20. VIERcntHOLZ
    This message by VIERcntHOLZ has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 1, 2016, Reason: Shitposting -rp.
    May 1, 2016
  21. hobbledehoy899
    This message by hobbledehoy899 has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 1, 2016, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    May 1, 2016
  22. Shadowhand

Shadowhand GBAtemp Fan

Feb 27, 2016
    I'm already working on a CFW that's on your NAND.

yes im the person who made saltfw

Last edited by Shadowhand, May 1, 2016
    Thelostrune, gkoelho, KiiWii and 10 others like this.
  23. LiveLatios
    This message by LiveLatios has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 1, 2016, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    May 1, 2016
  24. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    From what I understand, A9LH actually works by booting part of the exploitable code from the SD card. Basically disabling part of the code the FIRM0/1 from booting from the 3DS and having them boot through the SD card instead to allow exploitable code to work. So could be possible to install that code directly to the 3DS, but may run a higher chance of bricking.
    I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like it functions.

25. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    I have arm9loaderhax, and it's still idiotic that the system is useless without a 2 centimeter SD Card. If I'm copying files to my computer or phone my 3DS is literally useless unless I happen to have it on.
    And even then I can't access the Settings or hope the system doesn't reboot from a crash.
    At this very moment I'm copying 64 gigs to my computer and haven't used my n3DS in a few hours.

Last edited by LinkSoraZelda, May 1, 2016
  26. VIERcntHOLZ
    This message by VIERcntHOLZ has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 1, 2016, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    May 1, 2016
  27. Shadowhand

Shadowhand GBAtemp Fan

Feb 27, 2016
    You'll have to wait a week because I'm contracted irl for the next week and then a bit. After that, I'll start working on ShadowNAND full speed and we'll see how it goes. I'm hopeful.

28. VIERcntHOLZ

VIERcntHOLZ yep, theres missing an "u".

Mar 26, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Actually - if you "hardcode" the CFW into the initial payload, the FIRMpatch would have to be reapplied whenever a new update/commit appears, nor?

29. Shadowhand

Shadowhand GBAtemp Fan

Feb 27, 2016
    Yes, but there won't be a release that won't do good stuff, so it'll be far in between I think. I'm not promising anything, but the initial usable version would be after 14-19 days.

30. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    Let me clarify something first; you all appear to be a little wrong on thinking how arm9loaderhax works. The exploit itself already lives in you FIRM partitions, the fact that there's no SD card just doesn't allow you to run custom code, but it doesn't mean that the exploit is dead or something like that.

With that out of the way, yes it's not only "possible" but perfectly doable. However, you appear to want a CFW, not just any payload. That introduces certain issues, especially with O3DS and the requirement of reboot patches. But it's still perfectly doable, the only issue would be that you'd need it as a "secondary" a9lh payload living somewhere in your NAND, which the stage1 calls upon booting. In case no SD card is detected, or no arm9loaderhax.bin file exists, then load that secondary payload which is somewhere in your NAND. AFAIK there's been some work done, and not just PoCs, but actual projects.

SaltFW for example, was thought as a base to expand upon and introduce this SD-less boot.

31. Shadowhand

Shadowhand GBAtemp Fan

Feb 27, 2016
    I forgot to mention, there will be safety nets all over the place, so chance of bricking will be slim.

I pwned U! and SirBeethoven like this.
  32. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    couldn't they do something "if file is not found, boot from firmware" ?

the hability to not using a sd card would be great, so you could use the console with a broken sd card reader
    and it would be helpfull to noobs, currently there is a change of blackscreen that a simple fix is ejecting and putting back the sd card, some noobs start the console without the card and think its broken..
    and plus it doesn't make sence that you require something to boot the console...

Last edited by migles, May 1, 2016