OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
IBM cancells Cell Processor development

It has been confirmed that IBM will be pulling out of Cell development, with their current PowerXCell 8i to be the company's last entrance in the technology.

The Cell Processor was originally the brain child of "The Father of PlayStation" Ken Kutaragi. It was later co-developed by Sony, IBM and Toshiba, an alliance known as "STI." The architectural design and first implementation were carried out at the STI Design Center in Austin, Texas over a four-year period beginning March 2001 on a budget reported by Sony as approaching US$400 million.

IBM's most recent development in the Cell Processor's design is the PoweXCell 8i, which is featured in the second most powerful supercomputer in the world: Roadrunner.

The IBM's Vice President of Deep Computing David Turek, told German website Heise Online that the planned 32 SPE Cell processor will not be made.

However, Turek did explain that features of the Cell would continue to be moulded into other processor designs. With the future looking like it's taking a GPU route, a hybrid technology is the direction IBM will developing.

IBM CANCELLS PS3 CELL PROCESSOR DEVELOPMENT

Next gen consoles in 3, 2,.....

hate2.gif

feds4u

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
.Radiant said:
this means nothing to the gaming world really. ps3 cell is still being manufactured.

It means everything. It means BC is pretty much out for the PS4.

It also means Sony has already chosen a new direction for their next console.

They made a huge investment in the Cell and they just bailed on it. It was suppossed to be the processor of the future.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
feds4u said:
.Radiant said:
this means nothing to the gaming world really. ps3 cell is still being manufactured.

They made a huge investment in the Cell and they just bailed on it. It was suppossed to be the processor of the future.

it just means IBM has pulled out of the development for the cell. BC is still very plausible (sticking a cell in the next-gen anyone?). just because IBM has pulled out doesnt mean sony isn't going to use a cell in their next-gen console. IBM don't own "cell", its owned by Sony and toshiba as well.

SPH73

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
feds4u said:
.Radiant said:

Backwards compatibility doesn't matter any more.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
SPH73 said:
feds4u said:
.Radiant said:

Backwards compatibility doesn't matter any more.

Well in this case you're right, for the PS3 to be uber expensive that only the early launches had backwards compatibility. Now for the PS3 being at 299 is still a ripe off IMO.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
feds4u said:
.Radiant said:

Yeah, I'm not sure most folks will grasp the implications here. Putting this chip into the PS3 wasn't so much for the sake of offering PS3 owners a "better" system as much as it was for Sony to push a new architecture into the world of computing. It was hard enough to get publishers to fund development for PS3 to begin with; if there's no future for the hardware, there's no reason to train people on how to exploit it. This goes way beyond gaming.

Well, it's not the first time Sony got left holding the bag. Nintendo did it to them with the N64, but Sony ended up making lemonade out of lemons, and the rest is history. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out now.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i think its not necessary for them to stress on a newer console esp since the PS3 is far from dying
even the PS2 is still running strong... it mostly seems like they have to add better interactive controls rather than worry about speed and graphics cuz thts pretty top notch on the latest gens

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?