I don't understand how Spotpass works

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Feels Good Man, Jul 22, 2011.

Jul 22, 2011
  1. Feels Good Man
    OP

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    From what I read (from all the Spotpass guides and whatnot from Nintendo and other sources) is that when the 3DS is in sleep mode, it'll connect directly to your internet network and download things automatically. But as far as I know, when the 3DS is closed, it closes any connections to the internet to drop and goes into Streetpass mode.

So how does it work? The Pokedex Spotpass seems like a pseudo Spotpass where you only get new Pokemon entries after 5 hours or so.

Yes, I checked my wireless settings to see if it was actually connected or not

2. epicCreations.or

Member epicCreations.or GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I frequently get notifications during the night about my Nintendogs, and certain events that can happen in-game. It's that little bubbly thing on the top of the home menu, that tells notifications and such.

3. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    I would assume it checks every so often (maybe for example once an hour), if there's stuff available it downloads it, if not it goes back to streetpass mode and checks again later.

4. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    Spotpass works alot like how WiiConnect24 works (yes. I actually use it.) as long as your 3DS knows its in a wifi zone (or nintendo zone) it keeps an eye out for the main server trying to connect to your 3DS. Of think of it like watching TV and playing a video game: your listening to the TV(3DS looking for updates) but your attention is on the game(while running all its main operations or looking out for streetpasses). TD;LR: Thats the shortess way I can explain [​IMG]

5. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    don't forget though, you'll still need to setup what access point the 3DS will use, and the 3DS should be able to connect to it successfully. meaning you can't just waltz into a coffee shop with free wifi and expect it to download while it's on SpotPass--i wish it was that active, but it's not. would be nice if SpotPass can actively seek and try to connect to access points without needing to be set up beforehand.

6. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Well, if it can automatically connect without user permission, it means that the console can already hack into other Wi-Fi access areas (other homes? [​IMG])

I always get SpotPass notifications from DOA Dimensions.