Feedback Hynix Wii U PermaBricked?

1B51004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.
Recently I bought a broken Wii U in hopes to repair it for cheap. I was not aware of the Hynix NAND Wii U's situation that happened 3-4 months ago, so I thought this was going to be an easy fix. I was wrong.
I cannot show photos, but I can give you description that should hopefully address the situation.
On boot, the Wii U logo appears for about 28 seconds. It then immediately goes into the "Delete All Content and Settings screen" with the usual notes and music. It hangs on that 12 seconds, before the screen dims and the console crashes.

I've already tried UDPIH and rebooting it still gives me the same results. I was able to confirm it was a Hynix Wii U though and dump the OTP and SEEPROM bins, but no logs.

UDPIH Was... off however. It worked just fine, but every time i would boot into it, something odd would happen. The first time it would not work, and give me a white, static like screen with some blue lines down the middle. Second time I would boot into it, UDPIH would work. Both times the screen was in 4:3 aspect ratio.

Also, for a split second, between the transition from the Wii U logo screen and the Delete content screen, there seems to be extra text that gets removed or shortened. I can't catch it fast enough to read what it says fully, but it looks to be the screen before you press confirm or accept the wipe. Odd.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm also open to just buying a fixed Wii U outright, if the situation calls for it. It would be nice to fix this, but I'm not willing to lose sleep over it.

Thank you for your help.
(Forgive the edits, I'm trying to update this as I find out information.)

Last edited by 1B51004,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Use UDPIH to grab syslogs.

//EDIT: Or wait, you might be in a factory reset loop, there are no syslog in this case. In this case you'll need NAND_AID to copy the eMMC to a SD card, then fix the filesystem on that card and lastly manually finish that factory reset as it fails cause of corrupted folders (which can't be fixed).
Another way would be fo use NAND_AID to format a blank SD card and use that. That way all corruption will be gone and you could even finish a factory reset but development needs a bit more time here.

Ysecond

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Another way would be fo use NAND_AID to format a blank SD card and use that. That way all corruption will be gone and you could even finish a factory reset but development needs a bit more time here.
I think it's very worth waiting for.Now is the eve of dawn, and the sunshine is coming soon. :rofl:

1B51004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use UDPIH to grab syslogs.

//EDIT: Or wait, you might be in a factory reset loop, there are no syslog in this case. In this case you'll need NAND_AID to copy the eMMC to a SD card, then fix the filesystem on that card and lastly manually finish that factory reset as it fails cause of corrupted folders (which can't be fixed).
Ah, that's what I worried I would need to do. I have NAND-AID downloaded just in case, but I'm not sure how to access the files to actually print the board. Then there's the fact that there's no clear instructions on how to finish the factory reset manually or how to connect the eMMC to my computer (which I assume I would need to do)

Thank you for the explanation though. A factory reset loop sounds exactly like the situation I'm in. Again, thank you!

Last edited by 1B51004,

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You probably need a replacement for theneMMC. NAND-AID ist one way to do it, but it can also done without it. But using NAND AID is the easier and cleaner solution.

The MLC can be dumped through software using a modified recovery. Do you have a 64gb sdcard?

Depending on how confident you are with soldering, you might consider to not bother with dumping and repairing the old mlc image and directly use defuse to rebuild the mlc from scratch, after you replaced the mlc.

Also @V10lator had a wii u, which was in the same condition, so he knows how to fix it.

Reactions: Valery0p

1B51004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably need a replacement for theneMMC. NAND-AID ist one way to do it, but it can also done without it. But using NAND AID is the easier and cleaner solution.

The MLC can be dumped through software using a modified recovery. Do you have a 64gb sdcard?

Depending on how confident you are with soldering, you might consider to not bother with dumping and repairing the old mlc image and directly use defuse to rebuild the mlc from scratch, after you replaced the mlc.

Also @V10lator had a wii u, which was in the same condition, so he knows how to fix it.
I have a 128 GB SD card that I "borrowed" from an old 2DS I had, will that work?

Also, if I'm interpreting this correctly but with defuse, is it possible to repare the MLC completly software side? or is some amount of soldering required?

Again, forgive me if I'm wrong about some things, I've been kinda thrusted into this situation without realizing it. Thank you for the help!

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No you would still need to replace the eMMC as it is bad. Besides that defuse is also a hardware mod

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Following this thread, as others with more experience than me have said, it should be fixable hopefully if it's not another type of hardware issue, research and unbricking have become a lot easier since we have de_Fuse.

ps: someone made a solderless de_Fuse install btw

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste