Humble Botanicula Debut

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by TehSkull, Apr 19, 2012.

Apr 19, 2012

Humble Botanicula Debut by TehSkull at 6:15 PM (1,051 Views / 1 Likes) 18 replies

1. TehSkull
    OP

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    :arrow: Source

Whoooo Humble Bundle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_0s65bYZmM

1 person likes this.
  2. lufere7

Member lufere7 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Hmm didn't know they upped the needed donation for steam keys. I think $5 is excessive just to prevent abuse, but whatever it's still a pretty good deal.

3. TehSkull
    OP

United States
    Considering I wait until I can pay between $5 and $6 and beat the average, this doesn't change much for me.

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    its used to be $0.01, then $1.00, now its $5.00 to get steam keys...

5. lufere7

Member lufere7 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    True, I always try to beat the average, but sometimes I don't have enough in my paypal, and it's nice to get the games for $2 or $3

6. SignZ

Member SignZ Timelord

Germany
    Apparently the $5 minimum is because of Botanicula, as it's a totally new game that came out today.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    I wanna know what your "totally awesome" email address is lol XD

I just got it. $8.67 is the current average.

8. TehSkull
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I gave up on the average dropping much further and went with a $10 donation.

9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I'd complain about this being yet another indie bundle, but really, there's not much to complain about.

Damn developers, being so reasonable.

3 people like this.
  10. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    You say this as if $5 is expensive for the games they provide.

1 person likes this.
  11. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Yeah, that's destroying the humble bundle idea (pay whatever you want) a bit. I completely understand there reason though, and I completely agree the developer needs a bit of protection in this regard.

I was on the fence of buying Botanicula on GOG, but I figured I should first play the games I already have. But I just have to get a deal like this, even if I already own both Samorost 2 and Machinarium multiple times. If anyone doesn't: get these games! Samorost 2 and Machinarium are easily worth at least 5 bucks, and judging from what I've seen Botanicula has the same level of quality.

12. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    I strongly disagree with this. Regardless of what you pay, you are still getting DRM-free copies of every single game that is offered. If you pay above a certain threshold, you also get a DRM-locked copy of almost every game that has achievements included.

Is it against the forum rules to share the executable files for each of those games you bought through the humble bundle here? Yes, it absolutely is. It's piracy.

Yet people openly give/sell/trade the Steam keys here, which somehow doesn't constitute piracy.

Does it stop the next 'temper from opening a trade topic saying "Hey, I just bought HIB:whatever, and I don't want/need the Steam key, does anyone want it/have something to trade for it?" No, not quite. But it stops greatly hinders the guys who buy the bundles for a penny back in the day, then a buck, and resell the "bundle deal" steam keys for 10 or 15, as that deal is STILL a great price.

Regardless of what you pay, you're still getting the DRM-free versions. And that's what Humble Bundle is about.

13. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Just got it. :)

14. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I understand your point, and like I said, I understand why they're doing this and I agree it is the best way to go forward. Of course, the reselling of Steam keys is a problem that hurts this bundle noticeably, which is a same.

I don't completely agree on what the Humble Bundle is about. To me, it's not about getting DRM-free versions of games. It's about directly supporting an independent developer without any obstructions at a price you decide, and in return getting the best service the developer can give you; you get all DLC, soundtracks etc. Setting minimum pricepoints for getting Steam codes or additional games in a way violates this idea in the sense that there is now a minimum price to pay. Whether or not it's still a great deal is not particularly relevant. One of the things I notice this does, is people buying the bundle for a price just above the average instead of paying what they think the package is worth.

With so many people trying to make a profit of this if they don't introduce minimum prices and the developer really getting hurt if the value of the games devalues so quickly, this is not a big deal. You can still get the DRM-free versions of some awesome games for any price. So go buy them :)

1 person likes this.
  15. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Am I the only one not at all interested in this bundle? It seems like just a way to push a single game so it gets more publicity. And none of the games seem that good...not to mention everyone and their mom should have Machinarium by now.

16. Gadgetguy96

Newcomer Gadgetguy96 Member

United States
    I sadly don't have Machinarium.
    I won't buy it since I'm not a big adveture fan.

17. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    :( I'm afraid to say that this is the first Humble Bundle that that doesn't look very good. $5 just for Steam keys? And then an extra $3.5 (atm) to unlock the game I'm most interested in? I'm not one of those people that pay $0.01 - In fact I usually pay $5 - $10. But the way they're changing the way it works is gradually reducing the point of the bundle, especially the 'pay what you want'.

18. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    2 of the games are recycled from other bundles
    I would buy it if windos wasnt a beat the average game
    it seems the overall quality of these bundles are getting worse and worse, nothing will ever beat HiB4
    sales and money raised have also fallen for every bundle after 4

19. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    It's because they're all bundles that seem to be mostly just advertising. The games aren't really that good, themselves.