Hugo-Wii vs Wi Engine

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by TrickyTony, May 25, 2009.

May 25, 2009

Hugo-Wii vs Wi Engine by TrickyTony at 2:41 AM (8,113 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. TrickyTony
    OP

Member TrickyTony GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I never played any of these games but am looking to start emulating some. Do either of these emulators have a strong edge on the other?

2. Sir_Voe

Member Sir_Voe GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It depends on the games you're looking to play. Wii Engine has the edge with reguards CD game support, but Hugo is much better when it comes to standard HuCard games due to superior sound emulation. On Wii Engine, it seems to struggle to play multiple sounds at once.

3. MrTea

Member MrTea GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Apart from a much nicer gui on hugo - wiiengine (IMO) is far superior in emaultion for both regular games and also cd games.

4. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    HugoGX has original video resolution support, which Wii Engine doesn't (I like this on Wii emulators, makes really feel like the old thing) , better interface and generally more options.

Regarding Hu-Cart compatibility, it seems Wii Engine runs some games that Hugo doesn't... (that's said, from the code, Wii Engine seems also to be based on Hugo original code, with a few enhancements and a lot of shared code). I didn't really noticed any difference in sound emulation.

However, the best thing about Wii Engine is CD audio tracks support (which is disabled in HugoGX)

5. scrabbus

Newcomer scrabbus Newbie

United Kingdom
    I personally prefer Hugo, just plays a lot better, and I am not really bothered about cd support

6. dlf

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think both should be updated, there are some games for TurboGrafix-16 I'd like to try out 1st.

7. Jacobeian

Cuba
    ???

They would need to be updated if those games did not work, otherwise, I don't see the point.
    WHat's preventing you from testing them ?

8. dlf

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    @Jacobeian:

Some of the games just won't work: Rondo of Blood (Castlevania), it's a pain in the arse to try to find TG-16 games . . .

9. Jacobeian

Cuba
    Rondo of Blood is a CD game, it works under Hu-go (well, without CD tracks support) and perfectly under WiiEngine, read the later's documentation again to know how to setup iso/ogg files

10. Raylene2K7

Member Raylene2K7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jamaica
    Hugo of course.

I'm using it almost every day to play Bomberman '93 multiplayer

11. Scorpin200

Banned Scorpin200 Iceman

United States
    i wonder when these things will be updated, because all the other emus get updates every other. When the last tg16 update was what sometime last year.

12. Jacobeian

Cuba
    by the other emus you are meaning nintendo emus (snes/nes/vba), others are not updated very often anyway
    those are mostly GUI updates but yes tantric is very active... like others before him were also very active at some time.
    Remember this is homebrew development, not a full time paid job and people eventually lose motivation or have other things more interesting and important to deal with than coding all night long [​IMG]

13. MrTea

United Kingdom

I'd say 99% of CD games work perfect on wiiengine already (same goes for all the regular PCE games I've tried on it too)... the only thing its missing is a fancy GUI - but I'm already v happy with what we have ie: a fully functioning full speed emulator (Full CD and mp3/ogg support, 4-player multiplayer, loading games from usb, screenshots etc etc).

Wiiengine has come to a halt as Hermes has moved on to bigger and better things and I'd personally much rather see eke-eke finish off his genplus and eventually (well hopefully!) add sega cd support seeing as its a system we still don't have running on the wii yet.

14. Scorpin200

Banned Scorpin200 Iceman

United States
    How do you get the music to play in the cd games? and do super cd games work, because it's telling me i have the wrong system file.

15. Scorpin200

Banned Scorpin200 Iceman

United States

the hell with those they are basically done the tg16 is the most important to me, and their are alot of games on it i haven't even play let alone heard of.

16. kevenz

Member kevenz GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    eke-eke can't just add cd support.......it's not that easy..... it's a complete different machine, you need to run a genesis emulator + a sega cd emulator at the same time to achieve that, it's a lot of work and probably won't ever come unless someone port gens or something like that.

17. MrTea

United Kingdom

I appreciate that (thats why I said 'hopefully' [​IMG]). Sega CD is definitely do-able though - whether its eke-eke that cracks it or even another talented coder in time. If the psp can play full speed genesis games and a sega-cd games (picodrive) then I'm sure the wii will in time too. [​IMG]