Homebrew Hugo-Wii vs Wi Engine

TrickyTony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never played any of these games but am looking to start emulating some. Do either of these emulators have a strong edge on the other?

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on the games you're looking to play. Wii Engine has the edge with reguards CD game support, but Hugo is much better when it comes to standard HuCard games due to superior sound emulation. On Wii Engine, it seems to struggle to play multiple sounds at once.

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
Apart from a much nicer gui on hugo - wiiengine (IMO) is far superior in emaultion for both regular games and also cd games.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
HugoGX has original video resolution support, which Wii Engine doesn't (I like this on Wii emulators, makes really feel like the old thing) , better interface and generally more options.

Regarding Hu-Cart compatibility, it seems Wii Engine runs some games that Hugo doesn't... (that's said, from the code, Wii Engine seems also to be based on Hugo original code, with a few enhancements and a lot of shared code). I didn't really noticed any difference in sound emulation.

However, the best thing about Wii Engine is CD audio tracks support (which is disabled in HugoGX)

dlf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think both should be updated, there are some games for TurboGrafix-16 I'd like to try out 1st.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
???

They would need to be updated if those games did not work, otherwise, I don't see the point.
WHat's preventing you from testing them ?

dlf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Jacobeian:

Some of the games just won't work: Rondo of Blood (Castlevania), it's a pain in the arse to try to find TG-16 games . . .

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Rondo of Blood is a CD game, it works under Hu-go (well, without CD tracks support) and perfectly under WiiEngine, read the later's documentation again to know how to setup iso/ogg files

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
by the other emus you are meaning nintendo emus (snes/nes/vba), others are not updated very often anyway
those are mostly GUI updates but yes tantric is very active... like others before him were also very active at some time.
Remember this is homebrew development, not a full time paid job and people eventually lose motivation or have other things more interesting and important to deal with than coding all night long
smile.gif

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
Scorpin200 said:
i wonder when these things will be updated, because all the other emus get updates every other. When the last tg16 update was what sometime last year.

I'd say 99% of CD games work perfect on wiiengine already (same goes for all the regular PCE games I've tried on it too)... the only thing its missing is a fancy GUI - but I'm already v happy with what we have ie: a fully functioning full speed emulator (Full CD and mp3/ogg support, 4-player multiplayer, loading games from usb, screenshots etc etc).

Wiiengine has come to a halt as Hermes has moved on to bigger and better things and I'd personally much rather see eke-eke finish off his genplus and eventually (well hopefully!) add sega cd support seeing as its a system we still don't have running on the wii yet.

Scorpin200

Iceman
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
by the other emus you are meaning nintendo emus (snes/nes/vba), others are not updated very often anyway
those are mostly GUI updates but yes tantric is very active... like others before him were also very active at some time.
Remember this is homebrew development, not a full time paid job and people eventually lose motivation or have other things more interesting and important to deal with than coding all night long
smile.gif

the hell with those they are basically done the tg16 is the most important to me, and their are alot of games on it i haven't even play let alone heard of.

kevenz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MrTea said:
I'd personally much rather see eke-eke finish off his genplus and eventually (well hopefully!) add sega cd support seeing as its a system we still don't have running on the wii yet.

eke-eke can't just add cd support.......it's not that easy..... it's a complete different machine, you need to run a genesis emulator + a sega cd emulator at the same time to achieve that, it's a lot of work and probably won't ever come unless someone port gens or something like that.

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
kevenz said:
MrTea said:
I'd personally much rather see eke-eke finish off his genplus and eventually (well hopefully!) add sega cd support seeing as its a system we still don't have running on the wii yet.

eke-eke can't just add cd support.......it's not that easy..... it's a complete different machine, you need to run a genesis emulator + a sega cd emulator at the same time to achieve that, it's a lot of work and probably won't ever come unless someone port gens or something like that.

I appreciate that (thats why I said 'hopefully'
wink.gif
). Sega CD is definitely do-able though - whether its eke-eke that cracks it or even another talented coder in time. If the psp can play full speed genesis games and a sega-cd games (picodrive) then I'm sure the wii will in time too.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over