How would I go about extracting sounds?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by dragster215, Jul 9, 2009.

Jul 9, 2009
  1. dragster215
    OP

Member dragster215 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    ive been searching around, but i cant find anything.

2. thebigboss14

Member thebigboss14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    you could get DSlazy to extract the games archives but I dont really know if you can extract the sounds. Just try to record the sound when you hear it and voila there you have. I hope this may help you.

3. dragster215
    OP

United Kingdom
    recording sound dont work because of the BGM behind the sound, but thanks for trying.

bump

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There is a search box the at bottom of the forum which works far better than google does most days (this question has been answered on a fair few occasions but oh well) but generally there are four ways.
    Note: this is for the extremely popular SDAT format used in the vast majority of games; it is still a talking point when games come out using another sound format which even then is usually a somewhat common format like wave (Electroplankton) or ahx/ADX (TWEWY) or PCM: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=102645 (N+).

1) and 2) did have sites/forum threads but they are not with us these days. 1) should have source with it. Those links are my 4shared site so they should be around for some time to come and please feel free to share them. ndssndext should be able to parse the standard DS file system (not sure about VGMtrans but it is no hassle to grab the SDAT file from a rom using ndstool (frontends DSLazy and DSBuff), ndsts, ndshv, crystaltile2, nitroexplorer or even by hand.

1) ndssndext:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/68276816/80922...sndext_v04.html

2) VGMtrans:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/76520093/5a299676/VGMTrans.html

What is better between 1) and 2) seems to vary between person, game and ambient temperature.

3) loopback from an emulator. As the "title" implies you take an emulator and use the loopback feature of most soundcards to record the music into a player. Your emulator should have the option to removed channels too which means no need to have the near inevitable gunshots, battle sounds, menu sounds and the like once you find which channel holds the undesirable sounds.

4) crystaltile2: not really a method per se but the program does have sound playback abilities which you can use like method 3 above. They are somewhat broken and/or fiddly for most people though.

Oh and for giggles here is the SDAT spec:
    http://kiwi.ds.googlepages.com/sdat.html

5. dragster215
    OP

United Kingdom
    every time i open ndstool a black screen comes up, a few columns of writing come, and then it shuts.all in less than a second

6. dragster215
    OP

United Kingdom
    nobody else wants to try and help?

to be more specific, im trying to get the sound made when you recieve mail in the game.

7. dragster215
    OP

United Kingdom
  8. xshinox

Member xshinox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i am pretty sure it's possible with VGMtrans. i used that to extract music from games. you need to use Audacity to record the audio.

9. dragster215
    OP

United Kingdom
    i tried vgmtrans, but it only found the music, not the sound

EDIT: nice picture, xshinox