Hacking How to update a PSP already on CFW?

The_Hulkster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys!

I recently purchased an already hacked PSP.
Wasn't really ware of it being hacked already when I bought it.

However, it is currently on 4.01 M-22 and was advised to update it to the latest CFW.
Now, I went about and read some things online but there is just so much info, most of which is on how to hack a PSP, not update an already hacked PSP.

Would someone here care to explain to me how to update to the latest CFW?
It concerns a PSP-2000, not sure which motherboard.

Many thanks!

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everything you need right here:

http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/

But, if you can't be bothered to read, just download and install the 6.60 OFW, then download the 6.60 PRO C2 pack and put all three files on your memory stick, run PRO Updater, go to system information and check your hardware revision - if its 01g thru 05g, go ahead and install the Permanent Patch (in the 6.60 PRO C2 download). If it's anything else (very unlikely on a 2000), you'll just have to run the Fast Recovery (included in 6.60 PRO C2 download)every time you reboot the PSP.

The_Hulkster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Everything you need right here:

http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/

But, if you can't be bothered to read, just download and install the 6.60 OFW, then download the 6.60 PRO C2 pack and put all three files on your memory stick, run PRO Updater, go to system information and check your hardware revision - if its 01g thru 05g, go ahead and install the Permanent Patch (in the 6.60 PRO C2 download). If it's anything else (very unlikely on a 2000), you'll just have to run the Fast Recovery (included in 6.60 PRO C2 download)every time you reboot the PSP.

Thank you! Finally something clear and concise.
Worked like a charm :)

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
*sigh*

In the future, people really should stop recommending official updating over old, permanent CFW. Old permanent CFW is one of the major reasons recovery flashers exist, if not the only reason. Whenever people official update over old CFW without thinking, you risk soft bricking, and in worst case scenarios, hard bricking. 99 times out of 100 it is recommended that you safely flash 5.00 OFW using Hellcat's Recovery Flasher, then upgrade to the next OFW of your choice, then install CFW once more. Official updating over CFW and bricking PSPs became such an issue in the past that later 5.x perma-CFW made it a point to edit the system firmware version to a number the PSP would never actually reach to keep people from being able to update at all without completely wiping the CFW first.

Really, if you don't know about the old CFW, you should refrain from giving people advice that only really applies to the later 6.x easy CFW solutions. You know, unless you want to be responsible for inevitably bricking somebody's PSP down the line.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.