How to translate text on a image

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by 2134, Aug 15, 2010.

Aug 15, 2010

How to translate text on a image by 2134 at 9:56 PM (2,370 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. 2134
    OP

Newcomer 2134 Advanced Member

United States
    Does anyone know how to translate Japaneses text on a image [​IMG]

2. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    You learn Japanese, then you edit the image.

3. 2134
    OP

United States
    how do you edit the text

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    If the text is on an image it is no different from any other image (indeed if you were feeling philosophical* you could argue text is just a highly specific case of imagery) and all the image editing methods/theory apply here.

Fortunately this is quite rare and usually only seen in puzzle games, title screens, menus and the odd sprite/background section so it is rarely a long winded process.

*generally not a good thing in rom hacking.

5. 2134
    OP

United States
    man i hope get to understand these thing

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    My apologies that was a bit unfair to someone just starting out.

Afraid this is all I had in my uploaded pictures so it will have to do for now

[​IMG]
    It is from the DS Ninja Gaiden game for what it is worth- I can not remember what I did to get it and frankly it does not matter at this point. That looks like tiled 2002 ( http://home.arcor.de/minako.aino/TilEd2002/ ) but you also have crystaltile2 ( http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=232718 ) as well if you need tools for this.

Just above the midline of the picture it says "Muramasa's" and a bit later on "prizes" as well as a few Japanese characters, this is part of the picture (that is to say it is "burned in")- to edit it you would take the picture (or a selection of it) into your image editor of choice and change the pixels by hand.. Usually such things can be done in the same program you use to look at it although most of those are not brilliant at high level editing but they should have import and export functions.

Edit: http://pix.gbatemp.net/32303/gundam3.JPG is another example- the text down the bottom of the image would have to be changed by hand (this program is crystaltile2).

7. 2134
    OP

United States
  8. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    Find the image you need to change export it then change in your favorite image editor. then import the new changed picture over the old one.

9. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
  10. Pluupy

Member Pluupy Woof!

United States
    Can this be done for Sigma Harmonics...? I saw in a few past threads that the content was images instead of actual text...

11. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    Yes. You just have find the images first. That is in fact what I have been doing first translating the images - for 7th dragon, duel love, etc. If you don't know the language don't worry- if no one wants to help you you could always pick and peck from a table and machine translate. EDIT- or use ocr software on the image and hope it can get it for you.