How to tell if a 360 Slim is overheating ? and what can be done to fix it ?

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have 2x Slims and planning to buy some more...I don't plan on modding them...I will use them with legit discs.

How can I tell if the slims are overheating ? I have heard that slim models auto shutdown when they get hot ? is this true ?

Is there a way to monitor the temps on an unmodded slim ?

What can I do to fix the overheating ? Should I re-apply the thermal paste or should I buy an external cooler ? like the Nyko one ?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No way on legit short of measuring it with an external probe that I am aware of (don't know if you can grab readings from things as they fly around the system). You can infer a lot if you know normal behaviours (normally in this game for this much time on/in game I would be expecting this fan behaviour...) as well as by feeling things (it might not be the 90C of the CPU sensor but hotter when you wave your hand over than on for 5 minutes on the dashboard sort of thing(.

Auto shut down is common in many things, the trouble is how much life it robs from you in the meantime (MS don't need it to outlive you, just the ~5 years of warranty in Europe whilst also balancing noise).

Replace paste and pads (be careful disassembling the front plate), blow out dust from the fans, for slims I have also had the power supplies need a dusting (my current one came from a smoker house... was not a pleasant PSU).

For fat 360s then there were mods for the internal fans to max them out, and modify the shroud. Not sure what people are looking at for slims, especially as MS went for a big fan.

That said slims overheating is usually more a problem when people put them in an enclosed space or put the disc case on top of the big fan. In and of themselves they are pretty respectable.

veraci_00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not know if this has changed with the slim, because it gets rdod (red dot of death) instead of rrod for general hardware failure, but overheating normally is two red lights. iirc, the system will shutdown, then that happens. it needs to get to between 90-100C iirc as well for all models, which is pretty damn hot. I've seen people do mods where it displays the temperatures on a physical display, but there's no way to have an overlay of some sort without a modded system.

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Replace paste and pads (be careful disassembling the front plate), blow out dust from the fans, for slims I have also had the power supplies need a dusting (my current one came from a smoker house... was not a pleasant PSU).

When should I do this ? Should I do this right now ?

what do you think of this cooler ? https://a.co/d/8rLezb6

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When should I do this ? Should I do this right now ?

what do you think of this cooler ? https://a.co/d/8rLezb6
this looks like it'd do more harm than good lol
ever since those xbox 360 coolers back in the day that made things worse, and that ps5 cooler that blew air INTO the exhaust, these things can't be trusted

just repaste the cpu if you think it's overheating, and maybe replace the fan if you think it's at fault, the 360 slim can manage itself just fine in like 90% of cases, unless you're one of those people that puts it in a closed box media center cabinet

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, a totally unrelated question....

Should I buy a Trinity or a Corona slim ? which one is more reliable ? I am not planning to mod any of them...

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have 2x Slims and planning to buy some more...I don't plan on modding them...I will use them with legit discs.

How can I tell if the slims are overheating ? I have heard that slim models auto shutdown when they get hot ? is this true ?

Is there a way to monitor the temps on an unmodded slim ?

What can I do to fix the overheating ? Should I re-apply the thermal paste or should I buy an external cooler ? like the Nyko one ?
first give it some new paste then your options would be:

-check your heatspreader older revs like a - e have a shorter vaporchamber you could try to get a new one after revision e you can even use xbox one s ones

-change your fan you can use anyone with mini pwm/gpu plug even the one from xbox one s or use an adapter to use normal pc fans (120mm can fit in with a little dremel work)

-you could also try a fan override mod from circuit surgery those will keep your fans from slowing down

those are all options wich work on non modded consoles

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...