How to prevent cached(?) firmware update?

nitro322

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, all. Could use some advice.

Background:
I have a 9.00 PS4 that I've been messing around with using the new exploits. I was using Al-Azif's DNS servers had run the disable-updates payload, and even blocked all of the known PS4 update and phone home address on my home router to be safe, but tonight I was trying to use Orbis Patch Installer to install an older patch for one of my retail games and was having trouble, presumably due to DNS blocking. I spent a while working on this, undoing the DNS settings, disabling DNS blocking on my domain, ultimately even re-enabling updates, but despite all of that I was unable to get the patch to download. So I rebooted to try again.

Current situation:
After the reboot I got a prompt about updating the system software, and sure enough it seems to be trying to install 9.03. I didn't see it downloading, but I guess it must've happened while fiddling with the stuff above. It's in the "preparing to install" phase right now. I can't seem to cancel it like I can a normal download. I tried rebooting, but it immediately started trying to install again. Tried disabling Network, but it didn't make a difference, so I guess it must be already installed.

How can I prevent that installation from completing? Any way to wipe the cache or something? or maybe something I can do via safe mode? I'm afraid to turn the thing back on at this point. Would really, really appreciate any guidance.

UnknownGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just run the disable/block updates payload have you ran goldhen, this will put to folders in the update path. it will not let the 9.03 or anything higher actually download on to you system, you'll notice in the notifications tab unable to download. if it has already been downloaded, ftp into your ps4 and manually remove the update and then apply update blocker again.

nitro322

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. My issue is that the update automatically starts applying onboot. It's at about 7% of the "preparation" phase right now. So, I'd have to power on my PS4, and then basically race to get it exploited, ftp enabled, and login/delete that file through a client before it completes preparing the file I guess?

Nervous about that approach since the exploit isn't quite 100% and I could waste time fumbling around with that while the upgrade is proceeding in the background. That's why I was hoping there might be some way to clear or reset this through safe mode or something, maybe be reinstalling the 9.0 firmware or resetting the device or something. Have been googling this for a little while and getting a lot of mixed messages on that front.

nitro322

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, that's my plan B. Question, though - I have all of my saved backed up on USB, but if I reformat like that, will I be able to load my profile on there again to be able to use my saves? I'm thinking that would require signing in to PSN to activate my profile, which in turn would require the 9.03 update to access PSN. So, not sure how I'd work around that.

UnknownGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah, that's my plan B. Question, though - I have all of my saved backed up on USB, but if I reformat like that, will I be able to load my profile on there again to be able to use my saves? I'm thinking that would require signing in to PSN to activate my profile, which in turn would require the 9.03 update to access PSN. So, not sure how I'd work around that.
yes you can use offline activation, if you copied them via using the ps4 to usb then inside the folder where the saves are is a unique string of numbers, you'll use that string when using the offline activator and your saves will be playable again.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what all has been updated for 9.00, but you can activate your account the way you do on all firmware, just make sure not to use goldhen as there's a bug where the system will freeze at "get users." this bug is present on all firmwares, all versions of goldhen.

nitro322

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
interesting. Thanks a bunch. I do have that number backed up with my saves, didn't realize that's all that would be needed for the offline activation. And will keep the GoldHen bug in mind.

Much appreciated!

nitro322

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick follow-up - I ended up re-flashing 9.00 from safe mode. It didn't try to force using the 9.03 firmware that was apparently already on disk, which I half-expected it to do, and it seems like the process of copying the 9.00 firmware from USB overwrote the copy on disk. It then rebooted, installed the firmware like normal, and I was back to 9.00 with no prompt about 9.03.

Actually a very easy solution in hindsight, just wasn't sure what to expect going into this. Appreciate the suggestions, and hopefully this will help anyone else that finds themselves in this situation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night