How to optimize Dolphin for my specs?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Fudge, Feb 13, 2012.

Feb 13, 2012
  1. Fudge
    OP

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Hey guys, I was wondering if there was a way I could further improve my performance running Dolphin on my PC. Here are my specs:

ATI Radeon HD 6620G
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    AMD A8-3500 APU (quad core, 1.5ghz, automatically clocks higher up to 2.5ghz if needed)
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    640GB HDD

I can run Rhythm Heaven Fever with little to no slow down, however when I try to run SSBM or TimeSplitters 2 it lags considerably during gameplay.

2. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I assume this is a laptop, yes? I have one that has an A6-3400m APU in it. Not as powerful than what you have, but not by much to tell you that you'll most likely not be able to run most emulated games without slowdown, no matter how much optimization is done. While the APUs do overclock to a higher frequency, it is not constant but done in bursts (and I believe only one core gets the benefit while the rest are either downclocked or become inactive during the burst), plus it only does it if it meets certain factors. Low heat is just one of them. With emulators for the more recent devices, both the CPU and GPU get used heavily, and you're dealing with both on the same die/chip. Because of this, you will end up with quite a bit of heat being generated when running the emulator, therefore preventing the Turbo mode from activating. If you had a discrete GPU that was separate, then you may have been able to get away with the Turbo mode as the GPU-side of the APU wouldn't really be used.

Not really anything you can do, because the games themselves just can't execute fast enough. Frame skipping won't help because this is a CPU problem, not a GPU problem.

edit

I take that back. You can do something, but it won't be within the emulator itself. There is always Overclocking, but I wouldn't recommend it, and it should only be done if you know what you are doing.