How to get to specific firmware

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by funcoland1, Dec 13, 2014.

1. funcoland1
    OP

funcoland1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2014
    Canada
    Hello GBATemp,

I was wondering .. How do you get your Nintendo 3ds XL to a specific firmware? In preparation for the new Gateway update I want to get my 3ds up to version 9.2. It is currently sitting at 8.x.

I did a bit of research and did find this site which shows us the version of the firmware associated with each game cartridge.

http://3ds.essh.co/

The problem is twofold as I don't have my game cartridges with me and this table doesn't even appear updated to 9.2 yet.

Is my only option to hunt down a cartridge that has 9.2 on it?

Thank you.

2. Exeplosion

Exeplosion GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2014
    Canada
    Yes, you cannot downgrade unless you have some sort of nand code, and from what i've seen. Even with that it's hard. You can only go upwards. There for you will have to go with hunting down a cartridge 9.2+
    We have to wait, only sky3ds has compatibility, from what i've seen...

3. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    Gateway say'd on their official website (currently offline) that users with lower firmware will be able to update using a "game card update".
    What that means is still a bit confusing, can be through an actual retail game or maybe they have a solution in the works that only requires the Gateway card, but just wait until they actually release.
    There are currently no cartridges with 9.x as far i'm aware off.
    Try to first search the forums, this is being discussed all over the place already.

4. liomajor

liomajor GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 10, 2008
    United States
    Not right, gateway promised for checking lower firnwares than 9.0.0 - 9.2.0 support.

Currently it's not possible to update 9.0.0 - 9.2.0 as i already warned it will happen.

5. funcoland1
    OP

funcoland1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'll just sit tight and see what appears with this Gateway update. Hopefully the Gateway 3ds will support firmware 8.x or perhaps have a way to "safe" upgrade to 9.0-9.2.

Edit:

I just checked the GW3ds site and yes it appears that they do have some game update planned for firmwares prior to 9.0-9.2. It's the first post on their homepage.

6. Exeplosion

Exeplosion GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2014
    Canada
    These threads should just be closed, until further notice. I see people asking the same question whenever I log in. They don't notice that their questions have already been answer in different threads.
    //Posted in wrong thread... Face-palm. O THE HORROR...