Homebrew How to block 3ds firmware updates?

MacBoa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an Old 3ds which is on firmware version: 11.2.0-35U and has cfw arm9loader hax installed. I've used luma updater v1.4.2 and ctr-httpwn v1.0.1 but both failed and gave me errors. Can somebody tell me the step-by-step process on blocking these force firmware updates. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First, there are no forced updates at all (unless you want to connect to the eShop or Nintendo Zone app)

To play online with an outdated system, you mist update your CFW... which in the case of Luma requires updating to the latest B9S first

To actually block updates, you could set a custom DNS... but it won't apply to any Nintendo Zone you might cross, and you don't gain much by not updating (but neither by updating, lol)

Reactions: nitroBW

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fear of updating system firmware is really a thing of the past and stemmed from old entry points like menuhacks/MSET which could be patched in newer updates. So it was rule of thumb to remain on the lowest firm possible and run an emunand to have the best of both worlds. Since A9LH became the norm, and now B9S there is absolutely no reason NOT to update your firmware as these entrypoints cannot be patched as easily. Not to mention there is absolutely NO RISK of updating on A9LH/B9S since you SHOULD make a backup of your NAND every single time you update the firmware. If something breaks, you can always revert back to your last working setup.

By not updating, you're only working harder vs smarter and potentially losing features whether you use them or not. The only thing you should double check before updating is your actual CFW and by double check I mean, it's a stable release from the actual repository and not an "hourly commit" given to you by some random on GbaTemp.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not to mention there is absolutely NO RISK of updating on A9LH/B9S
...as long as you have a kernel partiton write protection patch :) but yeah

The only thing you should double check before updating is your actual CFW and by double check I mean, it's a stable release from the actual repository and not an "hourly commit" given to you by some random on GbaTemp.
Disagree, instant builds are by definition the first to support newer versions (for every meaning of support), and if they break, woop woop just stick the SD in a computer and downgrade the cfw

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...as long as you have a kernel partiton write protection patch :) but yeah

Disagree, instant builds are by definition the first to support newer versions (for every meaning of support), and if they break, woop woop just stick the SD in a computer and downgrade the cfw
Of course but they are also prone to way more bugs than stable releases which cause more problems then they solve with most noobs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj