How much can I sell a softmodded 2DS for?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by random_human_being_, Mar 14, 2017.

1. random_human_being_
    OP

random_human_being_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    Due to tendonitis I'm incapable of playing with my 2DS without severe pain to my hands.

It's a 2DS with a perfectly functional a9LH + Luma3DS setup, plus a 64gb SD with 43 3DS games (and a bunch of homebrew and virtual console stuff).

I want to give it a fair pricing, and I'm willing to help the buyer with any issue he/she might have afterwards.

I'd be selling it on a smaller website, so I'm not worried about the listing being flagged and/or removed.

Last edited by random_human_being_, Mar 31, 2017
    NoNAND likes this.
  2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I'd pay like 50$ for it, I guess.

MikeDX likes this.
  3. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    Wouldn't a 2DS that's been softmodded be worth more than one which hasn't? Where I live second-hand 2DSs go from 60€ upward.

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I personally don't pay anything more for softmodding because the code and method are free online. Maybe someone else would, but not me personally.

Bravalerie likes this.
  5. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    Of course, I personally went out of my way to ensure my 2DS was not already softmodded when I bought it.

Anyway, since there are even people enrolled in STEM degrees which have trouble doing basic tasks with a computer, I was wondering if most people found Plailect's guide overwhelming, and did not even want to attempt following it on their own. I mean, most people would actually pay to have a friggin' Wii softmodded, so I assume they'd see some added value in a hacked console (granted, I'd be upfront about the fact that I used resources freely available).

6. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    It costs more because it uses free for all code to enable homebrew which is available on (if im updated right) to everyone at the moment?
    Why?

Scrap that, apparently quite a few retard shops do this modding for ridiculous amount money. :D 50$+ for a a9lh mod lol

Last edited by fatsquirrel, Mar 14, 2017
  7. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    As I've said above, most people used to actually pay others to softmod their Wii. I know people on GBAtemp are tech literate enough that this is a non-issue, but I'm wondering if to the average Joe softmodding a 3DS is hard enough that an already softmodded one holds more value.

The thing is, every second hand 2DS or 3DS I see seems not to be softmodded, so I don't have any reference about their pricing.

8. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Soft modding a 3ds is relatively easy right now.
    This is a pretty good price to sell it at, maybe a bit on the cheaper side.

9. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    $70 if you're willing to wait.

10. Oschara

Oschara GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Id say around that amount. Maybe 100 max?

random_human_being_ likes this.
  11. Sascha93

Sascha93 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I sold mine here in Germany for 100 Euros after using it 1 week. (I upgraded to N3DS XL :) )
    I think 80-85 dollars are realistic for you, if its in good condition.

12. ZERO16LIVES

ZERO16LIVES Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    United States
    Tennessee
    What I normally do to guess what a game console is worth is look at what GameStop sells used ones for and plan to sell mine for a little less (because who would buy a used console from a stranger over an established business unless it was cheaper?), where I live a 2DS goes for $80USD at gamestop. Also, a softmod may make it worth more to some people (not me, personally) but keep in mind that many people may not know or care what a softmod is. All of that said, you can try listing it for a higher price and if it doesn't sell just lower the price (or let someone talk you down, I think it makes them feel like they got a better deal :P)

13. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    That's what I ended up doing; I put it for sale at 110€, and I've already been contacted by two people :yay: Of course, if they end up being interested I'll tell them that the tools I used are FOSS.

14. THFourteen

THFourteen Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2008
    I am also selling a 2DS. It had custom firmware on it, but I got rid of it. I don't want to deal with someone buying it and not knowing how to use it properly, e.g. deleting the necessary files off the SD card, and then leaving me poor feedback as a seller.

I left it on the original firmware it came with (6.0)

Think i would take £54 for it including delivery (boxed, with manuals, charger, 4GB card and official red case)

15. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I recently got an unmodded 2DS for $70. Came on something like 7.0 firmware and was instantly modded again and sold for $100.

I might do that again this time around.

16. kofman13

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    I know a ton of people who are not technologically savvy and would rather pay than to read a 16 part tutorial and do a 2-5 hour process

17. ZERO16LIVES

ZERO16LIVES Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    United States
    Tennessee
    I just bought a broken one for $25 including shipping fixed and modded it and listed it on CL for $60, we'll see how it goes... Not selling it with a charger though because I don't have an extra one.

18. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBAtemp's Official Onion Cricket

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    Your basement
    People aren't looking for 2DS systems.

19. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Wouldn't pay more than $60.

20. Oschara

Oschara GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    I sold mine for 100. Came with 32 gb card and case. Charger and box. Not bad deal. Turned that around and got the unicorn at gamestop for 30. Sold my new 3ds xl black and smash bros. :)